Forum Visual Studio

Open With - File Associations - External Tools

NeilWhitlowNeilWhitlow USUniversity ✭✭

Tinkering with the Android Starter Edition Xamarin Studio for Windows before I pull the trigger on Indie.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious in configuring the IDE. I registered some of the usual suspects in my toolchain as external tools (Paint.NET, Notepad++, InkScape, etc). I thought this would make them available in "Open With" menus, but see no way to associate them with file extensions.

Windows 8 is doubly frustrating. Just click on a PNG, go ahead, you'll be yanked from your happy desktop world into some fullscreen metro gallery hell ;)

I'm hoping there's some way in XS IDE to register Paint.NET as a choice for opening PNGs, etc, or otherwise hooking up external tools to types of items in solutions.

If XS just interrogates the OS associations to craft its Open With list, then I guess that's okay too. It just seems odd that by default, the only Open With choice for PNG is "Hex Editor" ??

Thanks for any direction.

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai

The Open With menu should get the list of applications registered for the file, although this is not yet supported on Windows (it is on Mac).

• NeilWhitlowNeilWhitlow USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks, Do you guys have a public list of issues that are going into XS? What I mean is that if this support for Windows just so happened to be on the list of things going into the very next release you are working for, is there a publicly available place to view that? Be nice to see what little tweaks are coming down in the pipeline.

I realize it may not be on the radar of important things, but the fact that you already support it in Mac makes me hope it's on some list of features being worked on for Windows as we speak :)

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai

We don't have a list of features/fixes that are going to be included in upcoming releases. However, we have a public bug tracking system here: http://bugzilla.xamarin.com

If you find any bug, feel free to file it there, and you'll be notified when the bug is fixed. Notice however that "fixed" doesn't mean that the fix will be available in the next release, since releases are often branched early in the releases process.

So, to get started, maybe you could file a bug for the Open With issue :)

• NeilWhitlowNeilWhitlow USUniversity ✭✭

Bug 12077

Thanks