Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Anyone else found that pre-release 1.4.3 breaks breakpoint debugging?

GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭

I have one project which uses the latest pre-release, and I find the breakpoint debugger acts crazy in that project.

Many breakpoints are skipped, some have hollow circles in the middle, and when I do stop on a breakpoint, stepping over becomes like "wormhole travel" through my code, it just randomly jumps about everywhere all over the source files, irrespective of what lines of code the actual runtime is executing.

Does it in android and iOS projects.

I get this output too in the logs too:

Mono.Debugger.Soft.CommandException: Debuggee returned error code 200.

at Mono.Debugger.Soft.VirtualMachine.ErrorHandler (System.Object sender,
Mono.Debugger.Soft.ErrorHandlerEventArgs args) [0x00076] in
/Users/builder/data/lanes/1550/6e8e725e/source/monodevelop/main/external/debugger-libs/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Mono.Debugger.Soft/VirtualMachine.cs:338
at Mono.Debugger.Soft.Connection.SendReceive (CommandSet command_set, Int32
command, Mono.Debugger.Soft.PacketWriter packet) [0x000f9] in
/Users/builder/data/lanes/1550/6e8e725e/source/monodevelop/main/external/debugger-libs/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Connection.cs:1544
at Mono.Debugger.Soft.Connection.Type_GetCustomAttributes (Int64 id, Int64
attr_type_id, Boolean inherit) [0x00017] in
/Users/builder/data/lanes/1550/6e8e725e/source/monodevelop/main/external/debugger-libs/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Connection.cs:2214
at Mono.Debugger.Soft.TypeMirror.AppendCustomAttrs (IList1 attrs, Mono.Debugger.Soft.TypeMirror type, Boolean inherit) [0x00053] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1550/6e8e725e/source/monodevelop/main/external/debugger-libs/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Mono.Debugger.Soft/TypeMirror.cs:712 at Mono.Debugger.Soft.TypeMirror.AppendCustomAttrs (IList1 attrs,
Mono.Debugger.Soft.TypeMirror type, Boolean inherit) [0x000c6] in
/Users/builder/data/lanes/1550/6e8e725e/source/monodevelop/main/external/debugger-libs/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Mono.Debugger.Soft/TypeMirror.cs:722
at Mono.Debugger.Soft.TypeMirror.GetCustomAttrs
(Mono.Debugger.Soft.TypeMirror type, Boolean inherit) [0x0000b] in
/Users/builder/data/lanes/1550/6e8e725e/source/monodevelop/main/external/debugger-libs/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Mono.Debugger.Soft/TypeMirror.cs:727
at Mono.Debugger.Soft.TypeMirror.GetCustomAttributes (Boolean inherit)
[0x00004] in
/Users/builder/data/lanes/1550/6e8e725e/source/monodevelop/main/external/debugger-libs/Mono.Debugger.Soft/Mono.Debugger.Soft/TypeMirror.cs:697
at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerAdaptor.OnGetTypeDisplayData
(Mono.Debugging.Evaluation.EvaluationContext ctx, System.Object type) [0x00018]
in

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

Ok.

Please note that using XamlC may interfere with your debugger, it is recommended to disable XamlC when needed as the mdp/pdb file will not correctly represent the new IL.

Just saw that. :)

Though.. [Edit]

This capability is disabled by default to ensure backwards compatibility

I've not enabled it.. so what gives?
    I'll try diabling it manually in all projects.

• TektonTekton USMember ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

@GeorgeCook I've crashed the Xamarin Studio IDE with the 1.4.3 release and the Xamarin Studio 5.9 alpha so many times that I sometimes wonder if I've somehow caught the Stuxnet. o_O Hard part is having the time to document, check known bugs, then submit a bug, every time something like this comes up. Admittedly, I've just been kind of barging through some stuff. While this specific error seems vaguely familiar, from recent weeks, it's also been in another thread. So, while I'd like to say, yeah and this is what I did to fix it... the best I can say is that when something like this happens, I'll usually exit emulators, clean the solution, quit the IDE, and try again.

oh poo.

Because I've removed apps from sims, reset simulators, reinstalled Xamarin twice.

Does it on this project every damned time.

Oh, and probably not related, but sometimes I have to discard the saved state on the emulator VM in VirtualBox, just to get the VM to run again (corruption, somewhere, I suppose). I've noticed that Genymotion seems to barf occasionally (quite odd, as it was like a rock, before) with 1.4.3 + XS 5.9 debugging, last I checked (could be some bad code too, of course). Also, anyone running debugger through the UITest stuff will find some nasty surprises, when you try to look at values when debugging, last I checked, as well.

edited May 2015

I now also get this message on that project.

2015-05-07 14:42:44.203 TwinEvents.iOS[30034:17999211] warning: Unable to insert breakpoint at TwinEvents.Core.Events.View.EventSubPageVM:.ctor (TwinEvents.Core.App.Logging.ILog):33

is there a quick way to change xamarin forms version? pretty tired of having to open up all my projects and remove/ add packages.

I think the bug (which is resolved in 4.3, hence using the pre-release) is a droid only bug for now, so I can live with it for the short-term.

Hmm. reverted back to 1.4.2 and now I get this constantly

Cannot set breakpoint on the specified IL offset.

@GeorgeCook I've seen that one before, almost certain. Memory is hazy, as usual, but I think it might have had to do with thinking I updated a platform XF package, but for some reason it hadn't actually updated (or something along those lines). Comically (so dark) enough, I might have just gave up and went back to fighting with a different version. I'd check versions real quick, just to be sure though.

that package manager looks cool; but wont' install for me (I;m on mac).

It's now gone bad to worse. the search bar doesn't work anymore either. if I use it to open a file, it just crashes outright.

Xamarin Studio is just being an arse-clown today. Kissing hours of productivity goobye faffing with it :/

right. Resolved it.

had to delete my packages folder
    and remove and manually re-add every single package in every single project.. great fun.

but at least it's workign again, and as soon as I'm unblocked, I'm having fun again. Xamarin Studio is actually pretty comfy. I just wish it were easier to write add-ins for though.

Ok. I confirmed it's a 4.3 issue. raised a bug.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

I've also done the manual remove and re-adding for every single package in every single project since moving to 1.4.3.6358-pre2. Not at all happy about that.

Even now, Visual Studio hangs pretty much every other debugging session when debugging Android code. This seems to be a known issue. Cannot even start iOS. Concentrating on Windows Phone for the time being.

@JohnHardman you raised a bug for that? if not : https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29861

it's early pre-release software, so I'm not too bothered; but if we don't raise bugs/comment on them, they'll not know how big an issue it is!

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@GeorgeCook - I've been raising/logging plenty. Spent more time investigating Xamarin issues than my own product development since that pre-rel came out :-(

@JohnHardman what's your ticket number? I'll comment on that too and mark my one as a likely duplicate.

Mine is https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29861