Get the selected item in a list view button

JoshuaNovakJoshuaNovak ✭✭USMember ✭✭

I am trying to get the selected item in the tap event of a button in a list view item, but I can't seem to figure it out. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

• JoshuaNovakJoshuaNovak ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

@adamkemp I'm looking into doing it with a command as you said. Is there no way to pass a binding context to the button or something along those lines though?

• adamkempadamkemp mod USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

The button has a binding context, which it inherits from its parent. Ultimately the binding context comes from the item in ItemsSource for that cell.

So say I have a list of users and I want to access the selected user when the user clicks a button on that list item. How would I access the selected user (item) in the tap event?

I keep trying this.BindingContext in the tap event, but it says Object reference not set to an instance of object.

It seems like you didn't look at the example I attached. Please look at that.

You don't use an event for this. You use the command, which is itself a binding to the view model. In the context of your user example, the handler for the command would be in the UserViewModel class. If you're trying to put an event handler in your view or page class then you're going down the wrong path.

I looked through the example, but it's very different than the code i've been using so I was trying to avoid going that route. Most of my code has events in the code behind like all the Xamarin examples etc. What i'm confused about is that I need to have an Xlabs popup open when the button is clicked and it seems odd to do it with a command in the view model, but i'll give it a shot.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick btw and sorry for being a little slow at this. I'm new to Xamarin and C# and the whole view model command thing is odd and not documented well in the Xamarin examples.

Most of my code has events in the code behind like all the Xamarin examples etc

Yeah, it's a shame most of the examples avoid MVVM (because it's complicated) because in a case like this you really need to use MVVM, and a lot of people get stuck in the exact same situation you're in now.

@LeeOlsen.3738 That's exactly what I was trying to do. Thanks!!

@adamkemp I went with Lee's suggestion for now. MVVM is a bit odd for me since I come from a Ruby/Rails background. I'm use to MVC and the whole view/view model thing seems a bit redundant to me when you have a code behind file. Thanks for all your help though. I am going to look through your code more and start trying to convert things to be more MVVM as I get a better grasp on it.

• SreeeeSreeee ✭✭✭✭✭ INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeOlsen.5615 said:
    Yes, MVVM is better. But, to answer your question, if you are using the ListView.ItemTapped event, the ItemTappedEventArgs has an Item property that passes along the visual item that was tapped. Cast it to the correct type.

private void ListViewItemTapped(object sender, ItemTappedEventArgs e)
    {
      var user = e.Item as User;
    }

If you are instead using a Button.Clicked event for a button in a cell in the ListView, you'll have to cast the sender to a Button and get the user from the buttons BindingContext.

private void ButtonClicked(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
      var button = sender as Button;
      var user = button.BindingContext as User;
      //Perform actions on user
    }

I am using the Button.clicked event and do like above. But getting "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" on the user actions lines.

My code:
    Button inside listview-viewcell

<Button
                            BorderRadius="25"
                            HeightRequest="40"
                            WidthRequest="150"
                            TextColor="White"
                             HorizontalOptions="CenterAndExpand"
                             Font="Bold,15"
                             Margin="0,0,0,5"
                             BackgroundColor="#004F7E" 
                            Clicked="MoreDetails"
                             Text="More Details"/> 

Button clicked event:

public void MoreDetails(Object sender, EventArgs args)
        {
            var userProfileTO = button.BindingContext as UserProfileTO;
            Debug.WriteLine("Datas:>>" + userProfileTO.title);
            Debug.WriteLine("Datas1:>>" + userProfileTO);
        }

Any suggestions? :)

Most likely this expression is returning null: `button.BindingContext as UserProfileTO`. That either means the `BindingContext` is null or it isn’t the expected type. You’ll have to debug it to determine which.
  • DeepakDYDeepakDY ✭✭✭ INMember ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Hello @LeeOlsen.5615,

Your solution work for me :smiley:

`Yes, MVVM is better. But, to answer your question, if you are using the ListView.ItemTapped event, the ItemTappedEventArgs has an Item property that passes along the visual item that was tapped. Cast it to the correct type.

private void ListViewItemTapped(object sender, ItemTappedEventArgs e)
    {
    var user = e.Item as User;
    }
    If you are instead using a Button.Clicked event for a button in a cell in the ListView, you'll have to cast the sender to a Button and get the user from the buttons BindingContext.

private void ButtonClicked(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    var user = button.BindingContext as User;
    //Perform actions on user
    }
    `