Query on xamarin

Hi,
I am working on Android from last 1year.
I am eager to know, what is xamarin? Is there any future scope for xamarin? Should I switch to xamarin from android?

Answers

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod
    1. What is Xamarin?

There is extensive documentation on the site explaining this, please read some of it

1. Is there any future?

I hope so. But of course no one can predict the future

1. Should I switch?

That's a personal/business decision that we can't make for you.

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

Yes, switch to Xamarin :wink:

• victoriavictoria SEMember ✭✭✭

Even though the original poster isn't very well researched, this question:

"Is there any future?"

Is a very good one. Let me tell you right now that if Swift was available when we started with Xamarin (Monotouch back then), we would never have bet on it. The .NET framework is fantastic to develop with, but first and foremost Xamarin was a way to avoid objective c which was a terrible language to work with. That is not true anymore, even if Swift won't come close to C#, it is still a much better language than objective c. I know several developers who have just started with iOS development and could have easily gone with Xamarin, but they have no need for it as Swift is certainly good enough for them to be productive.

Xamarin might have a future in the Enterprise with huge investments in C#, but most definitely it has lost a lot of its former attraction for more agile teams that no longer need to just escape objective c or share a common code base. Judging from the Enterprise leaning content on the Xamarin blog and their commitment to Xamarin.Forms I say Xamarin are well aware of this.

• EidandEidand GBMember, University ✭✭✭

I think there's a slight omission there. For many developers / companies Xamarin does one thing really well. It takes away the need to have developers focused on specific platforms. You no longer need an objective-c / swift dev or an android dev. Now you can do it all with the same skill set. That's the huge attraction.

You can code swift all day long, it will not help you build an android app, however if all you do is iOS apps then swift is fine.
    For the rest of us who need to be able to build for multiple platforms reusing as much code as possible Xamarin is still a very attractive offering.

That's the best way to look at it in my opinion.

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

Betting on future is always risky, indeed, however the current state seems very favorable and stable for Xamarin.
    And guys, don't forget the shared code amongst different platforms and reuse of existing .net libraries.

• DonCB2BDonCB2B USMember ✭✭✭

Doesn't hurt to learn C#? dose it?

• MaharshiChoudhuryMaharshiChoudhury INMember ✭✭✭

Don't switch to xamarin. The reason it is touted is because you can write c# for android and ios. it might be lucrative for companies who want to save money but for developers it means you are compromising your learning. instead of learning xamarin learn objective c/ swift and become good at it. then you will be good in android and good in ios and you can leverage your skill more effectively.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaharshiChoudhury I strongly disagree with your assertions. Xamarin is an excellent solution for building multi platform apps with a mostly common code base, in a common language. We are in no way compromising our learning, that is just nonsense.
    I read some of your other posts, if you don't like Xamarin Forms, dont use it. Berfore XF came out I was still sharing code using PCL's. Before PCL support was added I was still able to share much code between platforms.
    If you don't like Xamarin, that's fine too. Go and learn ObjC/Swift/Java. I will keep my competitive advantage thank you. I am a much more valuable team member because of my Xamarin skills.