F# PCL projects in Xamarin Studio

Hi. As a big F# fan I wanted to use a F# pcl library for my IOS app but cannot find this project type in Xamarin Studio.
Can I enable it somehow or is this a feature that is coming?

• BradPillowBradPillow USMember, Developer Group Leader

TL;DR: You can't enable it, but it is coming...

It's not there yet, but getting closer. See this git issue for more info:

https://github.com/fsharp/fsharpbinding/issues/339#issuecomment-42438028

I attempted quick stab on this last week and made a wee bit of progress (with lots of help from Dave Thomas), but alas, there's more to it than meets the eye. Dave just pointed me to this:

https://visualfsharp.codeplex.com/workitem/59

to show that someone else is working on fixing this too. Profile78 of PCL is what you want as it has the best support for varying platforms (iOS, Android, Win 4.5, Mac, Windows Store, WinPhone8). It's not there yet, but should be this summer I imagine. Another missing F# feature is shared projects, useful in conjunction with PCL when using Xamarin.Froms. Shared Projects also do not work with F# (same issue in Visual Studio), but with luck that will get fixed soon, too.

• TerjeTyldumTerjeTyldum NOMember

Thx for the information. I was kind of surprised it wasn't available but I can see it is a bit more complex than I imagined :)

• DaveThomasDaveThomas GBMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I can add it in fairly easy, don't want to cause too many cross platform issues with Visual Studio.

• torgeirthoresentorgeirthoresen NOMember

Any updates on this?

• laygrlaygr MXMember, University

Hi,
    Any updates?

• DaveThomasDaveThomas GBMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Not at present, at the moment you would have to create the PCL lib with Visual Studio.

• paulyoungpaulyoung USMember

When I create a new F# Portable Library in Visual Studio on Windows and open it in Xamarin Studio on OS X I see a broken FSharp.Core reference.

Is that anything to be concerned about?

The project appears to build just fine.