basic information for a newbie

lucababullilucababulli USMember
edited April 2015 in General

hi,
i would begin to develop app for android a ios, and i think that xamarin is a very good solution. if it is possibile i need some additional information form you.
for your experience, is it better using visual studio or xamarin editor?
i would develop app for android and ios, so i need a mac and win notebook? could i use only one of them?

thanks in advance

Best Answers

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey US mod
    Accepted Answer

Visual Studio vs Xamarin Studio is mostly personal preference, unless you rely heavily on tools like ReSharper that are only supported in VS.

You MUST have a Mac for iOS development. You can build both iOS and Android on a Mac. If you use a PC, you will also have to have a Mac Build Server to actually build the iOS apps.

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey US mod
    Accepted Answer

I use a MBP and do all of my development in XS. If I need to do anything in VS I fire up a Windows VM using VMWare Fusion

Answers

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod
    Accepted Answer

Visual Studio vs Xamarin Studio is mostly personal preference, unless you rely heavily on tools like ReSharper that are only supported in VS.

You MUST have a Mac for iOS development. You can build both iOS and Android on a Mac. If you use a PC, you will also have to have a Mac Build Server to actually build the iOS apps.

• lucababullilucababulli USMember

Hi Jason,
    thanks for your quickly reply:) i've appreciate.
    bye

• Also, WinPhone projects (not is your case now) can only be opened in VS. So, if you want to open yourself to all the platforms (Windows, Android, Mac and iOS) you will need a PC with VS and a Mac with either Xamarin Studio or Xamarin Build Hub.

My personal advice is to buy a second hand old Mac to only install the build hub and that you develop from your PC with either Xamarin Studio or VS (for me is VS). This is because if you want to develop a Windows Application you will need a computer with VS and for the Mac part, you can use only a cheap computer with build hub.

Hi Josè,
    thanks for your message.

what do you think about this solution: using a (good) mac with a windows virtual machine ?

Jason, if i've understood with a mac i can develop and build for IOS and Android?

bye

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod
    Accepted Answer

I use a MBP and do all of my development in XS. If I need to do anything in VS I fire up a Windows VM using VMWare Fusion

hi i've another question:
    The configuration below is good (a mac) to work with Xamarin:
    Mac Book PRO 13, MID 2012, Intel Core i7 2,9Ghz, graphic card INTEL HD graphics 4000, 16Gb RAM, SSD Samsung 500gb
    If not, could you suggest me a good configuration?

Thanks in advance