Stable release: XamarinVS 3.9.525, assorted bug fixes

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited March 2015 in Visual Studio

Released versions: Xamarin for Visual Studio 3.9.525 (978be3d) + Xamarin.iOS for Mac 8.8.1.9 (7e1f69e)

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/vs/xamarin.vs_3/xamarin.vs_3.9/#v.3.9_Service_Release_3

Reason for release: Assorted bug fixes (see the release notes).

Date published: Stable updater channel on March 26, 2015.

Note: this release does not yet include fixes for new regressions found in 3.9.483 compared to 3.9.347. Those fixes are currently on the Alpha channel (see also http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36241/alpha-release-xamarinvs-3-9-530-watchkit-bug-fixes/p1).

Guidelines for this thread

1. Use this thread to discuss any new bugs found after updating to these latest versions compared to XamarinVS 3.9.347 or XamarinVS 3.9.483. The links to XamarinVS 3.9.347 are:

As noted on the article about downgrading, you can downgrade by installing these versions over the currently installed versions.

2. The first post in this thread will be updated regularly to keep track of the list of reported problems as well as any new information from Xamarin.

3. If you find an issue that is not yet listed under the "known regressions" section in this post, please file a bug report (if this link redirects to the top-level https://kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more) and then post the link to the bug report in this thread. If you are concerned that you don't have enough details yet or are uncertain of which details to include on the bug report, then feel free to attach as much preliminary information as possible directly in a reply on this forum thread instead.

4. Please discuss older bugs that are unchanged in XamarinVS 3.9.525 compared to XamarinVS 3.9.347 in Bugzilla instead. Be sure to file a bug report for the issue if one does not already exist. As always, if you are a Business or Enterprise customer, feel free to contact support for assistance with reporting or following-up on these issues.

5. Of course for questions and discussions about topics other than bugs in Xamarin for Visual Studio, feel free start new forum threads.

Known regressions compared to 3.9.347 not specific to WatchKit projects

Note: some of these issues are already marked "RESOLVED" in Bugzilla, and most of those fixes are available in the current Alpha version (3.9.530). If you do not need WatchKit support, downgrading to the previous versions (as mentioned in guideline #1 above) is another way to stop these problems.

• Bug 27990 - [XamarinVS.iOS] Can't load NIB when XIB is in a subfolder of the project

• Bug 28027 - [XamarinVS.iOS] Debugger sometimes fails to connect properly after the app launches (might only affect OS X 10.9 build hosts)

• Bug 28131 - [XamarinVS.iOS] Identities under "Project properties -> iOS Bundle Signing -> Identities" disappear after build configuration is switched. Restarting VS makes them reappear.

• Forum thread - [iOS Designer] "Name" property of bar button item not available anymore in iOS designer properties editor

• Bug 27934 - [iOS Designer] Storyboard ID in iOS Designer creates invalid 'explicitStoryboardIdentifier' attribute

• Bug 27889 - [iOS Designer] Editing certain storyboards might lead to an error at run time: "Loaded the nib but the view outlet was not set"

• Bug 28043 - [iOS Designer] Storyboard "Identity" property section does not appear for Layout Constraint

• Bug 28044 - [iOS Designer] Entering characters into storyboard property fields is slow

• Bug 28247 - [VS Android Designer] Android Designer Is Not Displaying or Rendering Items in the Resources\ Folder

Known issues for WatchKit projects

In addition to the Known Issues from the WatchKit documentation, there are still a few other issues under investigation. Depending on interest, I can collect those additional known issues onto this thread.

EDIT Mar 29: Typo correction for a version number.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski:

Wow…
    Not exactly my proposal, I suggest here:
    forums.xamarin.com/discussion/33738/proposal-solving-of-the-debugger-problems-version-3-9-302#latest

But at least a try to re-start to the problem-solving :smiley:
    But I don’t really understand your posting here, as it is very confusing (at least for me).

I have installed VS-integration 3.9.344 right now.

If have problems with iOS-Emulator (I have to restart VS2013 after every debug-session):
    Bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28193
    This bug was seen by Bugzilla, but still have status New

Same or similar problem with Android.

With my iPhone 5 (device) the debugger crashes by start the app on the device (with error-message related to Android). This bug was seen by Bugzilla, but still have status New
    Bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=27776

Further, various (e.g. Application-Object) variables are not known by debugger OS and Android).
    Bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=26492
    Also this bug was seen by Bugzilla, but still have status New

If I understand this posting correct, I should update to:
    VS: 3.9.525 (stable)
    and
    Xamarin.iOS for MAC?? 8.8.1.9

What is meant with Xamarin.iOS for MAC?? 8.8.1.9 (Xamarin-Studio on the MAC… or what..??)

My VS actually shows Xamarin.iOS version 8.6.20
    My Xamarin-Studio on the MAC actually shows version 8.6.1.20

Right now, I am not able to connect Xamarin:
    Error Message “Could not contact update server”.

Since weeks, I further have error-messages on the MAC, that there is a problem with the Xamarin-certificate…

You further write, that some fixes should be solved in the Alpha version (3.9.530):

Note: some of these issues are already marked "RESOLVED" in Bugzilla, and most of those fixes are available in the current Alpha version (3.9.530).

So.. it seems, that no of my posted bug’s (see links above) are solved right now (as they still have the state “New” in bugzilla)??
    But some other bugs (I think not relevant for me) seems to be fixed in the Alpha-version.

So final questions:
    Why should I update to 3.9.525 (stable) (if no of my reported bug’s is solved -> what should I test)??
    What exactly is meant with Xamarin.iOS for MAC?? 8.8.1.9 (Xamarin-Studio on the MAC… or what..??)
    Are there some problems with the Xamarin-site right now (down for some reasons or known problems with the certificate)?
    If there are known problems with the certificate - how to fix?

Thanks for clarification.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Fredy, all of those bugs would fall under guideline number 4 ("discuss in Bugzilla") because they already exist on 3.9.344:

4. Please discuss older bugs that are unchanged in XamarinVS 3.9.525 compared to XamarinVS 3.9.347 in Bugzilla instead.

This thread is intended to record new regressions that have appeared in 3.9.525, as mentioned in guideline number 1:

1. Use this thread to discuss any new bugs found after updating to these latest versions

Note: there's always a chance an old bug will "luckily" get fixed in a release because some other bug has been fixed, but if the bug isn't marked FIXED in Bugzilla, then the developers have not knowingly added any fixes for that specific bug to the release.

This discussion has been closed.