What is "headless build" in Business and Enterprise edition?

What does it do? Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• GlennWilsonGlennWilson USUniversity ✭✭

Where can I get more info on how to do headless builds on mac for android and ios and on windows for android?

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

Where can I get more info on how to do headless builds on mac for android and ios and on windows for android?

Xamarin.Android uses xbuild to build on OS X and MSBuild on Windows, so you can use MSBuild targets within your headless build system:

$ xbuild /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Configuration=Release Project.csproj

Xamarin.iOS uses MSBuild on Windows, but iirc uses /Applications/Xamarin Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/mdtool to build on OS X.

• MichaelBayneMichaelBayne USMember

Is it the case that mdtool no longer works with the Indie license? It seems to now simply fail to perform my builds without reporting any error message:

% mdtool build '-c:Debug|iPhoneSimulator' ios/dictionopolis.sln   
    MonoDevelop Build Tool
    Loading solution: /Users/mdb/projects/ooo/dictionopolis/ios/dictionopolis.sln
       Loading solution: /Users/mdb/projects/ooo/dictionopolis/ios/dictionopolis.sln
          Loading projects ..
    Building Solution: dictionopolis (Debug|iPhoneSimulator)
       Building: dictionopolis (Debug|iPhoneSimulator)
    % 

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

Is it the case that mdtool no longer works with the Indie license

This is correct. As per the product comparison, "headless builds" are a Business feature, and thus require a Business or higher license.

• If I want to run the build commands on a continuous integration server (such as Jenkins), do I need to purchase a separate license for that?

• TimJTimJ USMember

Any response from the question about needing a separate license/using a license slot for Jenkins build machine?

• tskulbrutskulbru NOMember

Bump. Nobody knows the answer regarding seperate licence for build server??

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I'd also add, for those interested in more information on Continuous Integration we have an excellent set of documents and guides available:

http://docs.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/ci/intro_to_ci/

• MarkGibaud.2183MarkGibaud.2183 GBUniversity ✭✭

@ tskulbru as each Xamarin licenses can license up to 4 machines, can you not spare one for build server? This is the way I'm trying to do it. No other officially supported way as far as I can see.

• jeffryvujeffryvu NLMember, University

You don't need an extra license for the build server. Just contact Xamarin about this. There's a build server license agreement that takes care of this.