Ok, I am a pro C# developer and just started my Xamarin Trial. I am getting really confused about what is required to get a multi-platform solution up and running.
I am one person and am not an enterprise.
I see alot of stuff on Google about MonoDeveloper, MonoTouch and MonoAndroid and at the end of my searches I come to Xamarin.IOS, Xamarin.Android, Xamarin Studio and VS2012 Integration. Did those original open source products disappear or are they still keeping up to date? So I wonder if someone from the company can answer my questions for all to see.
- Did the MonoTouch and MonoDroid projects turn into Xamarin.IOS and Xamarin.Android or are they still open source?
- From what I understand Xamarin Studio can be installed on Windows 8 for an indie developer. Is that right?
- But Xamarin Studio cannot develop IOS apps remotely the same way Visual Studio does. Right? In order for an IOS app to be developed a Business License must be purchased so that it can remote into a mac and do a build?
- There is no GUI for developing IOS screens on any platform except using a mac's xcode editor? Right?
- Also each license is only valid for one platform right? So if I really wanted to develop a true cross platform solution I would have to purchase a $999 license for each platform, Android, IOS, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. Right? Which would be around $5K?
- In addition I could not develop for IOS, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7/8 in Xamarin Studio on Windows. Right?
- But I can develop for Android and IOS using Xamarin Studio on a Mac with an indie license, but not develop for windows? Right?
Is there a simple breakdown of development flow? I can see great power in having one codebase, but the confusion about which products are used for what is holding me back as well as the price. Thanks,