Confusion about Product Names, Versions, Platform Requirements and Prices

BrianBassBrianBass USMember

Ok, I am a pro C# developer and just started my Xamarin Trial. I am getting really confused about what is required to get a multi-platform solution up and running.

I am one person and am not an enterprise.
I see alot of stuff on Google about MonoDeveloper, MonoTouch and MonoAndroid and at the end of my searches I come to Xamarin.IOS, Xamarin.Android, Xamarin Studio and VS2012 Integration. Did those original open source products disappear or are they still keeping up to date? So I wonder if someone from the company can answer my questions for all to see.

1. Did the MonoTouch and MonoDroid projects turn into Xamarin.IOS and Xamarin.Android or are they still open source?
  2. From what I understand Xamarin Studio can be installed on Windows 8 for an indie developer. Is that right?
  3. But Xamarin Studio cannot develop IOS apps remotely the same way Visual Studio does. Right? In order for an IOS app to be developed a Business License must be purchased so that it can remote into a mac and do a build?
  4. There is no GUI for developing IOS screens on any platform except using a mac's xcode editor? Right?
  5. Also each license is only valid for one platform right? So if I really wanted to develop a true cross platform solution I would have to purchase a $999 license for each platform, Android, IOS, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. Right? Which would be around $5K?
  6. In addition I could not develop for IOS, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7/8 in Xamarin Studio on Windows. Right?
  7. But I can develop for Android and IOS using Xamarin Studio on a Mac with an indie license, but not develop for windows? Right?

Is there a simple breakdown of development flow? I can see great power in having one codebase, but the confusion about which products are used for what is holding me back as well as the price. Thanks,
Brian Bass

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod
    1. They were never open source. The products have been rebranded as Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

2. Correct

3. Xamarin only makes products (currently) for iOS and Android. For Windows 8 and Windows Phone you don't need any licenses from Xamarin, just Microsoft.

to develop anything for iOS, you need a Mac somewhere in your build process (either as a build server or your primary dev machine). This is because Apple provides iOS SDK's for the Mac only. For all other platforms you can use Windows exclusively.

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

\2. From what I understand Xamarin Studio can be installed on Windows 8 for an indie developer. Is that right?

Correct.

\3. But Xamarin Studio cannot develop IOS apps remotely the same way Visual Studio does.

Correct. You can also use Xamarin Studio on OS X to develop Xamarin.iOS apps.

\4. There is no GUI for developing IOS screens on any platform except using a mac's xcode editor? Right?

Correct, though you can also layout your UI in code, e.g. with MonoTouch.Dialog.

\5. Also each license is only valid for one platform right?

For each target platform, correct. However:

I would have to purchase a $999 license for each platform, Android, IOS, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. Right? Which would be around $5K?

Xamarin does not provide products for Windows 8, Windows Phone 7, or Windows Phone 8; you would use Microsoft's SDKs to target those platforms. Thus, it would be around $2K to develop for Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS from Visual Studio, or to use Business-related features.

If you don't need Visual Studio, and you don't need Business-related features, then you can get away with Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS support for $598 and develop on OSX.

\6. In addition I could not develop for IOS, Windows 8, Windows Phone 7/8 in Xamarin Studio on Windows. Right?

Correct.

\7. But I can develop for Android and IOS using Xamarin Studio on a Mac with an indie license, but not develop for windows? Right?

Correct.

• BryanCostanichBryanCostanich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Heya @BrianBass, check out the introduction to mobile development guide. It should get you started in terms of a development flow. :)

• BrianBassBrianBass USMember

Thanks for answering my questions. Here are some other questions. Can Xamarin.IOS projects output xcode projects? Can I include xcode files in Xamarin.IOS projects? For instance I'd like to use Interface HD on the iPad, save it as xcode and then use Xamarin studio to interact with the interface I created. How can I make the two interact together? Thanks,
    Brian

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

You can create binding projects to allow Xamarin to reference Obj-C libraries (either your own or third parties).

You cannot use the Xamarin tools to create code/projects that are readable by XCode.