Forum Xamarin.Forms

The biggest problem with Forms...

In my opinion the biggest problem with Xamarin Forms right now is that the biggest, most widely reported issues in the Forums are completely ignored by Xamarin. The general (and best) response is from some helpful developer that has found some workaround, probably through some sort of obscure custom renderer, but many issues remain and persist without as much as a post from Xamarin.

Whilst I appreciate the response from the developers, there are generally no comments from Xamarin.

No, "we are working on a fix." Or, "we can't sort that out because of this"... just silence.

I appreciate the effort from the team who are clearly working really hard and have produced wonderful updates lately, but when issues are latent and present for months (years?) and are re-posted over and over without response, then I have to start questioning what is going on?

Do we keep bumping posts in the hope that we eventually get a response? Do we eventually start getting upset (like I am now?)

Whilst I understand the effort, I need to hear from Xamarin why:

• developers cannot remove the blue line from Listview group headers (Android)
  • why we have the double animation still occurring when switching from tabview/navigation to modal pages (Android)

This has been going on forever.

Come-on guys. I'm losing faith.

• Mark.9492Mark.9492 USMember ✭✭

Sadly, making a product to address cross-platform UI development is not an easy undertaking, and I'm sure Xamarin is doing their best, but I agree with this post about Xamarin's lack of transparency. It's frustrating. They need to be involved more in the community.

• PaulDistonPaulDiston USUniversity ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Out of interest, in attention to posting on the forums, have you tried emailing [email protected] for clarity on issues you are facing?

Paul Diston

• 2BitNerd2BitNerd USMember ✭✭

I have not experienced this myself. The forum posts I find myself visiting more often than not have comments from either a Xamarin staff member or Xamarin VIP.

With over 850,000 developers using Xamarin, and many of them trying out forms, the staff to customer ratio is astronomical. IMHO they are doing a great job juggling the technical challenges of this undertaking and answering forum questions.

Doing great, guys!

• EricSinkEricSink USMember ✭✭

I'll agree that radio silence is always frustrating.

That said, if Jason and his team gave a reply to every message, they would never get anything else done.

I'm glad the XF team participates here as much as they do.

• DavidTavarezDavidTavarez DOMember ✭✭✭

Which are the biggest bugs?

• adamkempadamkemp USInsider, Developer Group Leader mod

That said, if Jason and his team gave a reply to every message, they would never get anything else done.

Exactly. The team just isn't big enough to both keep up with all the forum posts and be productive. I do see them participate, but I don't think it's fair to expect them to respond to everything. I know it's frustrating, but as a developer who also works on a platform that has online forums I know it's just not reasonable to expect individual developers to keep up with the massive flow of posts and also get stuff done. That's why there are support channels. If you're blocked then you should use that.

Also, FWIW, if you think Xamarin isn't transparent enough then try interacting with Apple or Google or Microsoft. That might put it in perspective.

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

For me the biggest problem is lack of documentation. If you want to know how things work you would have to decompile the Forms DLL's to take a peek inside as most of the stuff is un-documented.

• johanksonjohankson SEInsider, University ✭✭

On the bright side I've become really good at using dotpeek! :)

• DavidTavarezDavidTavarez DOMember ✭✭✭

@SKall I'm agree, the documentation should be improved. In some case there is a lot of code but a little documentation, in others cases there is no documentation at all.

• KymPhillpottsKymPhillpotts AUMember, University ✭✭

It's funny how we all have our own bug bears. From my perspective I find the Xamarin documentation to be excellent (especially their guides). For low level stuff (API doco) you can't beat a good decompile anyway :)

• GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭

Why are you chasing up bugs on the forums? You should be raising bugs or commenting on existing ones if yours is a duplicate, and in that way making the team aware of issues in an appropriate manner.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/

I use many different technologies in my consulting work, and while it's nice to get feedback in forums from authors/dev teams, it's quite rare for bugs, and certainly shouldn't be expected, and in every forum I know of it's very bad form to complain about a lack of dev-response to bugs. Most forums I know have stickies saying "use the bug tracker", and with good reason.

The forums are here so we can help one another, and have non-bug related interactions with Xamarin staff. As a customerI don't want the xamarin dev's wasting their time perusing these forums looking bug reports.

And same goes for documentation - if it's lacking: raise a bug, and share the link here so others can comment on it. Are you guys not software engineers also? Surely this is the exact same process you'd expect from your clients.

• powerdudepowerdude USMember ✭✭

@GeorgeCook , very well put!!