Droid - Debugging - Visual Studio Is Busy

• CliffCawleyCliffCawley AUMember
    edited January 2015

Just a heads-up to anyone struggling with this and related issues. Just in case you have missed the post by @mikescandy‌, I can confirm that there are two scenarios where killing the adb process will give you back Visual Studio:

Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. I kill adb and VS is dead to the world. Nothing works except killing VS.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

There are known bugs in the XamarinVS current stable version 3.9.236 that will cause hangs under certain scenarios. An updated version (3.9.289) is now available on the Alpha updater channel. It includes the fixes that were in 3.9.274 plus just a few other changes. So anyone who is hitting debugger hangs with 3.9.236 can feel free to update directly to 3.9.289 via the updater. Two key issues that were fixed for 3.9.274 (and are included in 3.9.289) were: (1) a problem that could cause the soft debugger to deadlock when polling the threads of the running app, and (2) a few scenarios that could cause Visual Studio to hang when the VS debugger had trouble connecting with the soft debugger agent in the app.

@Cliff and others, if you haven't yet updated past 3.9.236, you can either update to the Alpha channel or temporarily downgrade to 3.8. For downgrading, see also http://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699777-downgrading (This link should open an article titled "Downgrading". Due to some of the login code on xamarin.com, you might have to navigate to the link twice to get the correct article to appear.)

For convenience (and also for trial users who won't see old versions on their store.xamarin.com account page), here are the download links for the previous stable versions:

• SureFlapSureFlap USMember, University

What are the changes between the 3.9.274 and the 3.9.289?
    The documentation is really lacking on this subject

• mikescandymikescandy ITBeta, University ✭✭

Just in the middle of something right now, but will update to alpha and provide feedback as soon as I can.

edited January 2015

I should also mention that the issue that requires killing adb sounds interesting. I will make sure the QA and developer teams see the reports on this thread and investigate. I'm almost certain that issue will remain in 3.9.289.

I believe the only changes in 3.9.289 compared to 3.9.274 are not related to debugging. I think they are instead only for build host compatibility with the alpha version of Xamarin.iOS. I will double-check on this with the XamarinVS team.

• @BrendanZagaeski - i am in a position where i have to go back to the previous version so I can get some work done.

However; I am happy to update to either the new alpha or the previous test build to generate logs etc. on my machine if they will help the VS team understand the issues.

What is interesting regarding killing the adb process to get VS back is that there is one prior to killing, but when I have killed the task two new instances are started. This may be of interest or just an expected side-effect of killing the process but I thought I should pass it on.

Can you also clarify the situation regarding the 289 vs 274 versions please. Are the "some other changes" likely to improve the situation for those of us who have already updated to 274?

I double-checked on 3.9.274 vs 3.9.289 and heard back that apart from build host compatibility changes, the only changes are to disable Xamarin's code completion support on a file-by-file basis when ReSharper's code completion support is active on the same file (to avoid conflicts that might cause pauses while editing files).

I'll be gathering and collating information on the adb issue over the next day and will update the thread if any particular questions arise about missing information. Thanks!

• AlecTucker.2208AlecTucker.2208 AUInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

FYI this is now working OK for me. I downgraded and then reinstalled 3.9.274, shut everything down, rebooted and went for a coffee. I've had one crash since then.

• Xamarin-IanXamarin-Ian USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited January 2015

Hello Everyone.

As mentioned, we pushed additional fixes for XamarinVS to the Alpha updater channel.

The team and I are continuing to investigate the ADB issue and the hangs related to the 'Visual Studio Is Busy' issue that folks are encountering.

If you haven't reached out and believe you have good steps to reproduce that consistently cause the issue to appear on your setup please reach out to me and I'll be happy to work with you. We have additional fixes that we are continuing to evaluate as new candidates to resolve this issue entirely.

My contact details are below.

Thanks,
    Ian Ceicys
    :: Visual Studio QA Software Engineer @ Xamarin - title
    :: [email protected] - email
    :: (440)724-6721 - phone.mobile

• I_am_a_duckI_am_a_duck GBUniversity ✭✭

Hi Ian,

I've had these same problems since updating to 3.9 (I'm not running Resharper), so I tried the 3.9.289 from the alpha channel and I'm still seeing very high CPU load with an Android project open in Visual Studio.

Here's one example of Java.exe, which runs every few seconds from devenv.exe via cmd.exe, also showing its command line:

I'm running a Core i7 @ 2.4GHz (4x2 cores), so polling this 'list avd' (via Java.exe -> com.android.sdkmanager.Main) seems quite expensive! Is it really necessary to do it? (At all? So often?)

HTH,
    Philip

• JavierVillarrealJavierVillarreal USUniversity

I am experiencing the same behavior as Philip. When you have more then one Visual Studio instance opened, it starts killing the performance of the machine because of the "list avd" process infinite cycle running per instance.

Thanks all for the additional follow-up on the adb hang and the list avd problem. It seems these two problems are tightly related. The list avd problem is being tracked as a high priority bug report here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=26122. I've just started a new forum thread to provide further updates as they become available for that specific issue: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/32208/android-projects-cause-high-cpu-usage-related-to-android-bat-list-avd-regression-in-3-9.

• NormanBardellNormanBardell AUMember ✭✭

Is there an ETA to have this issue rectified? I am not experiencing maxed out CPU but Visual Studio is hanging when debugging to device until I kill the process. I am not using ReSharper.

Is there a way I can rollback my version of Xamarin to fix this...?

• john82john82 ITMember ✭✭✭

I confirm this issue. I do not have reshaper installed. Any quick fix?

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski:
    As you can see here in this thread and in the other thread to iOS (link see my first posting on this page), there are various users that can't do their work...
    I am not able to use the debugger to iOS and Android for about three weeks now.
    Can you please give an update - when we can expect an update that will work with iOS and Android.

Thanks (in the name of all users).

@NormanBardell, @FrancescoColombo, @FredyWenger:

The following points are essential to answer for any new post on this thread:

• Are you all running 3.9.289?

• Does downgrading to 3.8.150 stop the problem for all of you? (If I recall correctly, FredyWenger has already tested that it does stop the problem for him.)

• Have you read through the other forum post I linked in my previous comment (http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/32208/android-projects-cause-high-cpu-usage-related-to-android-bat-list-avd-regression-in-3-9 ) to see if it accounts for this issues you're hitting? For example does the android.bat workaround help? Do you see your antivirus scanner at the top of the Task Manager list for CPU usage?

• If, as described in that forum post, replacing android.bat with an empty file does not help, and you don't see your antivirus scanner at the top of the list for CPU usage, then Xamarin will need additional information about what you see in the process explorer. We might also request a heap dump from the hung instance of Visual Studio. (One way to get a heap dump is by attaching another instance of VS to the hung VS. If you like, after you've attached you can browse the various Worker Threads and see if anything stands out as looking suspicious.)

The only cause of hangs that the developers are currently tracking is the android.bat issue described in the other thread. If that does not account for your problem, please continue to follow up with Ian (as mentioned in his earlier post: "If you haven't reached out and believe you have good steps to reproduce that consistently cause the issue to appear on your setup please reach out to me" http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/100431/#Comment_100431) so that he can examine your systems in greater depth for clues about other possible causes of hangs.

• john82john82 ITMember ✭✭✭

Actually I was having the issue using the stable version of Xamarin VS (3.9.236). I have now installed the beta version and it seems that the issue is gone. I need to test it further.

I will read the other posts you mentioned to see if something is related

thanks

Does downgrading to 3.8.150 stop the problem for all of you? (If I recall correctly, FredyWenger has already tested that it does stop the problem for him.)

That's not true (else I don't would have problems ;-)
    And.. I have submitted my whole project already to Ian at 20.01.2015...
    But... I will check all your links next week (so I have to do something meaningful ;-)

• NormanBardellNormanBardell AUMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski - At this point the Alpha bugfix appears to have resolved the issue for me. Will report if anything further occurs.

@BrendanZagaeski:
    I now have read all postings behind your links (and unfortunately wasted another day of my time…)

iOS:

Before my try’s I had installed:
    VS-Integration: 3.9.274.0
    Build Host on MAC: iOS 8.6.0.51 / BH: 3.9.0.234

I then have installed all new versions:
    VS-Integration: 3.9.289

On XS-MAC all versions under Beta (Alpha shows the same versions):
    Mono FrameWork MDK 3.12.0.76
    Xamarin-Studio 5.7.1
    Xamarin.iOS 8.6.1.20

After the Updates Build-Host on MAC shows:
    iOS 8.6.1.20 / BH: 3.9.0.258

Then I have rebooted the MAC and restarted VS 2013 (Update 2).

In my project, I have set a breakpoint in constructor (public app()).

Before the update VS2013 has crashed after deploying the app to the device (IPhone5):

Error-Message (and output-Window):

Mono.Debugging.Evaluation.EvaluatorException: Value not available
       bei Mono.Debugging.Soft.VariableValueReference.get_Value()
       bei Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerAdaptor.GetHoistedLocalVariables(SoftEvaluationContext cx, ValueReference vthis)
       bei Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerAdaptor.<GetLocalVariables>d__b.MoveNext()
       bei System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
       bei Mono.Debugging.Evaluation.BaseBacktrace.GetFrameInfo(Int32 frameIndex, EvaluationOptions options, Boolean ignoreEvalStatus)
       bei Mono.Debugging.Evaluation.BaseBacktrace.GetException(Int32 frameIndex, EvaluationOptions options)
       bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.Debugger.ExceptionsAdapter.GetExceptionInfo(Backtrace backTrace, EvaluationOptions options)
       bei Xamarin.VisualStudio.Debugger.ExceptionsAdapter.OnExceptionThrown(Object sender, TargetEventArgs args)
       bei Mono.Debugging.Client.DebuggerSession.OnTargetEvent(TargetEventArgs args)
       bei Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleBreakEventSet(Event[] es, Boolean dequeuing)
       bei Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleEventSet(EventSet es)
       bei Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.EventHandler()

The behavior is exactly the same after the update.

Android (after update to 3.9.289):

Breakpoint placed in constructor (public app() like iOS).

Debugging has worked 3 times, than VS2013 was hanging (like before)…
    After restart VS2013:
    Time until app is copied to device: about 50 Seconds
    Time to show debugger breakpoint in VS2013 (after copy app to device): about 20 Seconds
    Time until Debugger is stopped: About 90 Seconds
    Total time; about 160 Seconds

After about 3 Times, it don’t work anymore.
    The message “Visual Studio is busy” is showed and VS don’t work anymore…
    I have waited over 6 minutes, before I have killed VS2013.

Android.bat:

If I open "Tools -> Android -> Android Adb Command Prompt”:
    The path targets to C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common\IDE\

Under this path, there is no \tools\ directory and I don’t find a android.bat generally under the path …\IDE....

We use TrendMicroAntivirus.

While debugging, I see “Manages the Trend Micro unauthorized change prevention feature (64-Bit) in Task-Manage but the CPU-load is between 3-4 %. I don’t think that this causes the problems.

So.. what to do…?
    Downgrade is no solution, as I know that we are forced from Xamarin soon…

I further have detected some problems to access the Application-Object from debugger in iOS and Android (Application.Current.Properties.xx to save settings persistent).
    Therefore I have filled two bug's in bugzilla:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=26492

Maybe the problems are related...

@all reader of this thread:
    There are various problems with the debugger (iOS and Android) right now (I'm not able to debug iOS and Android now for months).
    There also are various threads in the VS-Forum, very confusing and time-consuming.
    Therefore, I have opened a new thread (proposal to solve the problems on a new and professional way):

forums.xamarin.com/discussion/33738/proposal-solving-of-the-debugger-problems-version-3-9-302#latest

But... this seems to interest nobody (not Xamarin and also not the other pained users).
    So.. If you want to change something, read the thread and vote...!

• SmathsSmaths USMember ✭✭

I appreciate your effort @FredyWenger in trying to get this issue addressed more efficiently.

• DirkWalkowiakDirkWalkowiak DEMember, University

Same problem here: after I manually updated my solution to iOS Unified debugging problems started.

Setup: Xamarin.Forms PCL solution, current stable versions of Xamarin.Forms, Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio Xamarin add-on, Visual Studio 2013 Update 4, Windows 8.1 Update 64bit, NuGet packages: Json.NET 6.0.8, RestSharp 105.0.1, SQLite.NET PCL 2.5.

Starting iOS debugging is not a problem, but it's almost for sure that while debugging at some point Visual Studio freezes saying "Visual Studio is busy" when trying to activate its window and also the app in the iOS Simulatur hangs. This happens e.g. when just clicking on a SwitchCell in my app that causes a RestSharp call using a binding like "On='{Binding ...}'".

I then have to force quit Visual Studio 2013 via Task Manager.

I also tried to wait and see what happens when let Visual Studio open after its freeze. After approximately 12 minutes Visual Studio got force quit by the OS. The last entry in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log\12.0\devenv....log at that time was:

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:29.7] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:29.9] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.1] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.3] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.5] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.6] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.8] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:31.0] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:31.2] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:31.4] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)

Please fix this annoying issue as soon as possible! Alas, I am not such a man of genius that I do not need to debug in order to develop...

Thanks in advance!

Same problem here: after I manually updated my solution to iOS Unified debugging problems started.

Setup: Xamarin.Forms PCL solution, current stable versions of Xamarin.Forms, Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio Xamarin add-on, Visual Studio 2013 Update 4, Windows 8.1 Update 64bit, NuGet packages: Json.NET 6.0.8, RestSharp 105.0.1, SQLite.NET PCL 2.5.

Starting iOS debugging is not a problem, but it's almost for sure that while debugging at some point Visual Studio freezes saying "Visual Studio is busy" when trying to activate its window and also the app in the iOS Simulatur hangs. This happens e.g. when just clicking on a SwitchCell in my app that causes a RestSharp call using a binding like "On='{Binding ...}'".

I also tried to wait and see what happens when let Visual Studio open after its freeze. After approximately 12 minutes Visual Studio got force quit by the OS. See below for the last entry in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log\12.0\devenv....log at that time.

Please fix this annoying issue as soon as possible! Alas, I am not such a man of genius that I do not need to debug in order to develop...

Thanks in advance!

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:29.9] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.1] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.3] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.5] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.6] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:30.8] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:31.0] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:31.2] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.
    at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:31.4] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Nicht genügend Quoten verfügbar, um diesen Befehl zu verarbeiten at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable1 channelSet)

I also tried to wait and see what happens when let Visual Studio open after its freeze. After approximately 12 minutes Visual Studio got force quit by the OS. The last entry in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log\12.0\devenv....log at that time was:

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Utilities Warning: 0 : [2015-01-23 13:51:29.7] WaitInUIThread Window threw an Exception.

Thanks in advance!

I also tried to wait and see what happens when let Visual Studio open after its freeze. After approximately 12 minutes Visual Studio got force quit by the OS. See below for the last entry in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log\12.0\devenv....log at that time.

Thanks in advance!

• DonJoeDonJoe USMember

This bug wasn't happening before. Seems like these issues started for me after a Windows update.

• FrancoisMFrancoisM FRUniversity ✭✭

I had the issue in the past and it got away after installing 3.9.274. But now VS updated itself to 3.11.271 and the issue is back. Is there a fix? Otherwise, how can I downgrade my version of xamarin?
    Tks.

• Paul_RoyPaul_Roy FRMember ✭✭

Same here, I just upgraded my version today (I was not up to date for a few weeks) and this problem is back…

This is getting really annoying…

• TrevorBalcomTrevorBalcom USMember ✭✭

The recent update on 4/30 introduced the problem for me. It seems like every update I've had in the 3 months I've been using Xamarin breaks something...

• DessixDessix USMember
    edited May 2015

These issues seem to be cropping up a lot; With the inability to debug on any platform and no easy, UI-parallel way to run an app as x86 for easy iteration on non-device-specific functionality, development of anything but primitive asynchronous behavior is all but impossible. I'd love to see a stability fix for the debugger so I can get back to work.

• RiegoRiego DEMember
    edited May 2015

I am getting the same problem after update to the latest version (3.11.445). By downgrading to version 3.9.547 (and loosing a couple of hours) I am able to run and debug the app again.

• PeerlessProgrammerPeerlessProgrammer USUniversity ✭✭

I started having this issue after the most recent updates. Visual Studio locks up when trying to debug with Xamarin Android Player usually the second time I click debug. Are others still having this problem?

Windows 8.1 Pro (Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600)
    Visual Studio Professional 2013 (Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4)
    .NET 4.5.51641
    Xamarin 3.11.445.0
    Xamarin.Android 5.1.0.115
    Xamarin.Forms Intellisense 1.0
    Xamarin.iOS 8.10.0.0
    Xamarin.iOS Unified Migration 1.0

• RolandvanderPlasRolandvanderPlas USMember

I am facing the same problem after updating the nuget packages. First time debugging works fine, second time debugging causes VS to hang and I need to kill VS via Task Manager. I'm debugging on an actual device not the emulator.

I have the same configuration as @DanielDickey

I've also got a problem debugging an iOS app (with Visual Studio) for the first time on the iPhoneSimulator and on an iPhone. I've got an unexpected exception occured error in VS. Does this relate to the Android debugging errors?

Debugging (on Android & iOs) with Xamarin Studio works on both Windows and OSX.

• PeerlessProgrammerPeerlessProgrammer USUniversity ✭✭
    edited May 2015

@RolandvanderPlas and others having this problem. Installing the latest Alpha version fixed the problem from Visual Studio. It works on Android, iOS and WinPhone. I'm running Xamarin 3.11.507.0 (dfac85e) at this point.

Of course it's Alpha so install at your own risk, backup files, etc... Hopefully this will be released to Stable within a couple of weeks.

Here are instructions on switching update channels:
    http://developer.xamarin.com/recipes/cross-platform/ide/change_updates_channel/

Today I have noticed Visual Studio is still slow with a few lock ups but nothing compared to before. I know they're still working on releasing some fixes but after days of downtime I'm finally able to get back to work... for the most part. I do notice that I have to clean the project a lot more before debugging. Not sure why.

I have not experienced this kind of quality issues with Xamarin in the past. I wonder if Xamarin management said get these new features out before the Microsoft Build conference date and it made them release way before they were ready for prime time. Xamarin, if that's the case PLEASE don't do this again!!

EDIT: I may be speaking too soon but since VS was slow I just performed a Disk Cleanup in windows, restarted both my PC and Mac, cleaned and built the solution and it seems to be running really well. Hopefully it will continue.

• michelTolmichelTol USMember ✭✭

Hi, I am experiencing the same issues as @RolandvanderPlas and @DanielDickey mentioned and updated VS to Xamarin alpha 3.11.507.0 . The last 30 minutes no issues related to VS hangs.

Tnx!

Hi @DanielDickey and @michelTol, thanks for the update!

Switching to the Alpha channel seems to resolve this problem. I agree with Daniel, hope Xamarin is not pushing (not well tested) features into the stable channel before a major conference like Build.

• RodyRody USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2015

This issue is back again for me after having been fixed with an alpha build 3.9.xxx. I decided to update to the latest stable version (3.11.445) today and I am now having the same issue as before with VS 2013 freezing when debugging my android app. I am going to go back to the alpha builds for now.

• RichardBeverlyRichardBeverly USMember

As a prospective new Xamarin client, this is very worrisome. I just created a Xamarin Forms "blank app" in VS2013, and just ran the "hello world" code, setting android as the startup project, and VS is locked up! Every time I start, it wants me to setup a Mac for a build server, but I don't have a Mac, and am not interested in creating an iOS app... yet. That will come, but now, I just need to start learning this API, and this has me stopped. I'll go back to the Xamarin Studio, for now, because it worked, but I fully intend on using VS as my workhorse, so this needs to be fixed!! Please put me on the list of people to notify when this is fixed.