Realm + Listview with caching strategy issue ?

uNiverseuNiverse USMember ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I recently encountered an issue with a simple xamarin.forms app (iOS only for now), using Realm as local database.

I created a page with a listview (with caching strategy to RecycleElement) displaying a list of RealmObject. Everything was fine until i put a delete context actions on the cell of my listview.

The problem was : When i deleted an item, then i added a new one:

• The displayed informations in the cell was from the deleted item
  • I couldn't click on it and go to the detail page because of this error : "attempted to access detached row".

I struggled to find a solution, i even found a bugzilla from 2016 about it and heard they fixed it.

Then i tried to remove the caching strategy from the listview and come back to the default one (RetainElement). And the problem disappeared.

So i just wanted to share that for everyone who has or will struggle with this. And i've some questions:

• Is this issue is not one and should error due to the Recycle Strategy ?
  • Is this a Realm or a Xamarin issue ?
  • Can this be avoid with another way ?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Armand

• uNiverseuNiverse USMember ✭✭

Up !

• Nor0xNor0x USMember

@uNiverse said:
    Up !

Up! Again. did you find any solution for this?

@Nor0x Hello ! Well nop, i ended deleting my row another way and i didn't really have time look more into it.

If you find anything, keep me posted :)

Maybe someone have an idea now ?

Best regards,

Armand

• LarsLaehnLarsLaehn USMember

Hi,

have anyone a solution for it?

thanks
    br
    lars

• RyanDixonRyanDixon USMember ✭✭✭

Rather than deleting it, could you "unmanage" the realm object and then check for that when you perform your logic?
    As for the bug, pretty certain its a Xamarin bug with it trying to use a cache for a deleted binding context.

Don't see why this cache isn't exposed to be honest so we can clean it up ourselves?

Hi @RyanDixon ,

Maybe we can unmanage the realm object but will it still be in memory ? As we want to delete a row, it's supposed to be deleted. I don't want it to stay somewhere I won't remember later ^^.

And yeah, we should be able to manage the cache as well.

Best regards,