Web Preview: Xamarin.iOS 10.99 Preview 9 for iOS 11, tvOS 11, and watchOS 4 SDK bindings

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited September 21 in Xamarin.iOS

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/103550/stable-channel-15-3-5-release/p1

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/preview-xcode-9-gm-ios-11-support-preview-9/ for the details about this release, including installation instructions and links to the downloads and release notes.

These are preview builds to allow Xamarin developers to start trying the new features available from Apple in the Xcode 9 GM seed. Any bug reports about the new Xamarin bindings are much appreciated!

• File a bug report against Xamarin.iOS 10.99 if you see any suspicious behavior in this preview Xamarin.iOS version that you wish to report.

• Comment in this forum thread if for example:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

EDIT July 27: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 2.
EDIT August 03: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 3.
EDIT August 11: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 4.
EDIT August 18: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 5.
EDIT August 25: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 6.
EDIT August 31: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 7.
EDIT September 08: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 8.
EDIT September 13: Update title and Release Blog link for preview 9.

• AndriusKirilovasAndriusKirilovas Andrius Kirilovas LTMember ✭✭

I updated VS for Mac, Mono and Xamarin.iOS but I don't see any of the iOS 11 simulators in the dropdown box. I also have Xcode Version 9.0 beta 3 (9M174d) installed along with iOS 11 simulators. I can successfully build and deploy swift iOS 11 project to iOS 11 simulator from Xcode.

When I build in VS for Mac for generic simulator I get following error message:

Error MT0091: This version of Xamarin.iOS requires the iOS 11.0 SDK (shipped with Xcode 9). Either upgrade Xcode to get the required header files or set the managed linker behaviour to Link Framework SDKs Only (to try to avoid the new APIs). (MT0091) (CoreML)

I would like to be able to test some of the new iOS 11 API's in simulator. Maybe haven't configured something?

edited July 22

It seems that I solved my issue with an error message. Beta SDK needs to be manually changed in VS for Mac preferences, SDK locations section:

But now I'm getting a different error:

Error MT0116: Invalid architecture: i386. 32-bit architectures are not supported when deployment target is 11 or later. (MT0116)

When I switch Supported architectures to x86_64 my project builds fine for generic simulator.

But I still don't see any of the iOS 11 simulators.

A few restarts later I can see all of the iOS 11 simulators in a dropdown box. So everything appears to be fine. I would file a bug report but it would be hard to reproduce the issue that I had.

• LuqmanHussainLuqmanHussain Luqman Hussain USMember ✭✭

Thanks for that @AndriusKirilovas I had the same issue where the simulators would not show until I changed preferences.

This info should have been included in xamarin releases blog.

• RogisterAlainRogisterAlain Rogister Alain BEBeta ✭✭✭

I have the same problem with Visual Studio BETA 7.1.

I do not see the simulators.

I gave an ALPHA version of Visual Studio 7.1 (less recent than BETA) and I have the simulators.

On my iMac or I also Visual Studio BETA 7.1, I see them correctly.

I tried to put the BETA version back on my MacBook but still no simulators.

What should I do ?

• Minafawzy.0454Minafawzy.0454 Mina fawzy USMember ✭✭

I have the same issue when I change the SDK to Xcode 9 beta its dosnt show simulators , you will need to restart your mac to show up

• ChristianVasquezChristianVasquez Christian Vasquez USMember

Hi Guys,

I have downloaded latest xamarin software for xcode9 beta 6 from link mentioned by Brendan above.
    I have error "Xcode is too new." when I try to open my storyboard after to save it using xcode9 beta 6
    Is there any workaround please?

Extra error details:
    This file has been edited in a version of Xcode which is unsupported by the designer. Documents saved in Xcode 9.0 format, or older, are supported.

Visual Studio Community 2017 for Mac (Preview)
    Version 7.2 Preview (7.2 build 540)
    Installation UUID: f092319f-e489-4a46-9c66-80e8615e42b2
    Runtime:
    Mono 5.4.0.167 (2017-06/6b8abfeb7cc) (64-bit)
    GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

Package version: 504000167

NuGet
    Version: 4.3.0.4199

.NET Core
    Runtime: Not installed
    SDK: Not installed
    MSBuild SDKs: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.4.0/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Sdks

Xamarin.Profiler
    Version: 1.5.6
    Location: /Applications/Xamarin Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Xamarin Profiler

Apple Developer Tools
    Xcode 9.0 (13199.7)
    Build 9M174d

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 10.99.5.13 (Visual Studio Community)
    Hash: c74a9110
    Branch: xcode9
    Build date: 2017-08-23 11:25:42-0400

Xamarin.Android
    Version: 7.5.0.13 (Visual Studio Community)
    Android SDK: /Users/sombra/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
    Supported Android versions:
    6.0 (API level 23)

SDK Tools Version: 25.2.5
    SDK Platform Tools Version: 25.0.5
    SDK Build Tools Version: 25.0.3

Java SDK: /usr
    java version "1.8.0_66"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_66-b17)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.66-b17, mixed mode)

Android Designer EPL code available here:
    https://github.com/xamarin/AndroidDesigner.EPL

Xamarin.Mac
    Version: 3.99.5.13 (Visual Studio Community)

Xamarin Inspector
    Version: 1.3.0-rc1
    Hash: ae5a61a
    Branch: master
    Build date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 18:53:30 GMT
    Client compatibility: 1

Build Information
    Release ID: 702000540
    Git revision: 937feef24e2d1caad12f34780602b39a33c44ece
    Build date: 2017-08-17 08:32:35-04
    Xamarin addins: 9bbcd5509a57e89460cafd47eb52bdb2a26d2437
    Build lane: monodevelop-lion-d15-4

Operating System
    Mac OS X 10.12.6
    Darwin 16.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.7.0
    Thu Jun 15 17:36:27 PDT 2017
    root:xnu-3789.70.16~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

• ZuojunCaoZuojunCao Zuojun Cao USMember

I downloaded Xamarin.ios, Xamarin.mac from the above link. sdk path is pointed to /Applications/Xcode-Beta.app. But on my iPad, which is running IOS11 Beta 10, I ran into an exception when calling an https web service.
    System.Net.WebException: Error TrustFailure (CertificateUnknown) ---> Mono.Security.Interface.TlsException: CertifcateUnknown at Mono.AppTls.AppleTls-Context.evaluateTrust().......

Here is my code:
    StringBuilder pciasUrlBuilder = new StringBuilder (@"https://ixxxxx/?");
    pciasUrlBuilder.Append (string.Format ("ClientID={0}", 142));
    pciasUrlBuilder.Append (string.Format ("&UserName={0}", UserName));
    string pciasUrl = pciasUrlBuilder.ToString ();
    var request = WebRequest.Create (pciasUrl);
    request.ContentType = "application/json";
    request.Method = "GET";
    try {
    using (HttpWebResponse response = request.GetResponse () as HttpWebResponse) {
    if (response.StatusCode != HttpStatusCode.OK)
    ShowErrorMessage ();
    else {
    using (StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream())) {
    }
    }
    }

I don't see this error in iPad running earlier versions of iOS. I confirmed with the web service server host, they are running security protocol TLS1.1 + compatibility.

Can someone help?

Alan

• ThiyagarajanRenganathanThiyagarajanRenganathan Thiyagarajan Renganathan USUniversity ✭✭

Hi Guys ,

I have update my mac to support the iOS 11 features.

When i tried to deploy app into simulator i have faced below problem but in device i can.

MTOUCH: error MT0000: Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com

My environment details

Xamarin Studio Community
    Version 6.3 (build 864)
    Installation UUID: fc99704c-0c07-4368-97c5-e7ae10b456f6
    Runtime:
    Mono 5.0.1.1 (2017-02/5077205) (64-bit)

Package version: 500010001

NuGet
    Version: 3.5.0.0

Xamarin.Profiler
    Version: 0.33.2

Apple Developer Tools
    Xcode 9.0 (13238.4)
    Build 9M214v

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 10.99.7.27 (Xamarin Studio Community)
    Hash: 15808c46
    Build date: 2017-09-05 10:41:22-0400

Xamarin.Android
    Version: 7.3.1.2 (Xamarin Studio Community)
    Android SDK: /Users/trengan/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
    4.0.3 (API level 15)
    4.4 (API level 19)
    6.0 (API level 23)
    7.0 (API level 24)

SDK Platform Tools Version: 26
    SDK Build Tools Version: 26

java version "1.8.0_40"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b27)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

Xamarin.Mac
    Xamarin.Mac not installed. Can't find /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.Mac.framework/Versions/Current/Version.

Xamarin Inspector
    Not Installed

Build Information
    Release ID: 603000864
    Git revision: 6c2f6737278ccc3e81e12276d49c0d92f975f189
    Build date: 2017-04-24 11:26:01-04
    Xamarin addins: d8d46e577d8507c35260ce9d73df3c33415bb214
    Build lane: monodevelop-lion-d15-1

Operating System
    Mac OS X 10.13.0
    Darwin trengan-in-la03 17.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.0.0
    Thu Aug 24 22:01:05 PDT 2017
    root:xnu-4570.1.46~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Please help me to figure out the issue.

Thanks in Advance

Thiyagarajan

• ThiyagarajanRenganathanThiyagarajanRenganathan Thiyagarajan Renganathan USUniversity ✭✭

@ThiyagarajanRenganathan said:
    Hi Guys ,

I have update my mac to support the iOS 11 features.

When i tried to deploy app into simulator i have faced below problem but in device i can.

MTOUCH: error MT0000: Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com

My environment details

Xamarin Studio Community
    Version 6.3 (build 864)
    Installation UUID: fc99704c-0c07-4368-97c5-e7ae10b456f6
    Runtime:
    Mono 5.0.1.1 (2017-02/5077205) (64-bit)

Package version: 500010001

NuGet
    Version: 3.5.0.0

Xamarin.Profiler
    Version: 0.33.2

Apple Developer Tools
    Xcode 9.0 (13238.4)
    Build 9M214v

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 10.99.7.27 (Xamarin Studio Community)
    Hash: 15808c46
    Build date: 2017-09-05 10:41:22-0400

Xamarin.Android
    Version: 7.3.1.2 (Xamarin Studio Community)
    Android SDK: /Users/trengan/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
    4.0.3 (API level 15)
    4.4 (API level 19)
    6.0 (API level 23)
    7.0 (API level 24)

SDK Platform Tools Version: 26
    SDK Build Tools Version: 26

java version "1.8.0_40"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b27)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

Xamarin.Mac
    Xamarin.Mac not installed. Can't find /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.Mac.framework/Versions/Current/Version.

Xamarin Inspector
    Not Installed

Build Information
    Release ID: 603000864
    Git revision: 6c2f6737278ccc3e81e12276d49c0d92f975f189
    Build date: 2017-04-24 11:26:01-04
    Xamarin addins: d8d46e577d8507c35260ce9d73df3c33415bb214
    Build lane: monodevelop-lion-d15-1

Operating System
    Mac OS X 10.13.0
    Darwin trengan-in-la03 17.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.0.0
    Thu Aug 24 22:01:05 PDT 2017
    root:xnu-4570.1.46~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Please help me to figure out the issue.

Thanks in Advance

Thiyagarajan

Hi Guys

I got the solution.

Upgarde to latest version through xamarin channel ,before install the xamarin 10.99.7.27 version

• MMountainMMountain Mike Mountain USMember ✭✭
    edited September 13

@ThiyagarajanRenganathan said:
    Hi Guys

I got the solution.

Upgarde to latest version through xamarin channel ,before install the xamarin 10.99.7.27 version

I'm getting this error:

Could not load the framework 'CoreSimulator' (path: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSimulator.framework/CoreSimulator): not found.

I just updated Xcode to 9.0, and updated VS Mac with everything in the stable channel. All the simulators are there and run fine. It's as if VS Mac doesn't know where to find them.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I just updated Xcode to 9.0, and updated VS Mac with everything in the stable channel.

In case it's helpful, there is a new Xcode 9 compatibility support preview available today based on the Xcode 9 GM seed in particular. Note that these Web Previews require installing a couple extra packages by hand on top of the current Stable channel versions.

• MMountainMMountain Mike Mountain USMember ✭✭
    Not very helpful. Why doesn’t this stuff just work? It’s the reason I stay far away from Xamarin. Unfortunately a couple of my clients haven’t converted to native yet and I still have to waste time with this sorry product. Thought MS would turn it around but I guess not.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this really isn’t a tool for professionals.

> @BrendanZagaeski said:
    > I just updated Xcode to 9.0, and updated VS Mac with everything in the stable channel.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In case it's helpful, there is a new Xcode 9 compatibility support preview available today based on the Xcode 9 GM seed in particular. Note that these Web Previews require installing a couple extra packages by hand on top of the current Stable channel versions.
  • BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I'm not sure that level of hostility is warranted in reply to the simple notification about availability of new versions that I was providing.

If you're curious why the Xcode 9 compatibility is not yet published on the Xamarin Stable updater channel currently, one important reason is that Xcode 9 itself is currently a GM seed and not yet final. For example, it is not yet available as an update from the App Store. In that sense, Xcode 8.3.3 is still the "Stable" version of Xcode. Accordingly, Xamarin follows a convention that the Xamarin Stable updater channel will remain aligned with Xcode 8.3.3 until Xcode 9 is published to the App Store. One problem this prevents is error messages for users who are still using Xcode 8.3.3 and have not yet installed the Xcode 9 GM. When Xcode 9 compatibility is published to the Xamarin Stable channel, those users will start seeing "Error MT0091: This version of Xamarin.iOS requires the iOS 11.0 SDK (shipped with Xcode 9.0) when the managed linker is disabled. Either upgrade Xcode, or enable the managed linker." (This error arises because Xamarin.iOS 11 of course must include the new native symbols from iOS 11 to be useful.) One example of users who would hit this error would be brand new users who are setting up Xcode (from the App Store) and Xamarin for the first time today.

• khickskhicks Kevin Hicks USUniversity ✭✭

Is there an expected timeline for adding iOS 11 support into the Stable build after Xcode 9 and iOS 11 are officially released next week?

I have read that Xamarin has typically had same-day support for new iOS releases, but I am not sure if that means that it gets moved to the alpha channel and then must progress through beta before reaching the stable channel, or if the preview releases replace the standard alpha/beta process.

I'm just trying to decide whether to stick with the iOS 10 SDK or if I can expect to be able to upgrade via the Stable channel for a release later this month.

Is there an expected timeline for adding iOS 11 support into the Stable build after Xcode 9 and iOS 11 are officially released next week?

Barring unusual complications, the plan will be to publish Xamarin.iOS 11 to the Stable updater channel and Visual Studio 2017 within 1 day of the when Xcode 9 final is published to the App Store. As one small piece of additional information, the process for coordinating Visual Studio 2017 releases with Xcode releases is fairly new, so there is a small chance that that process might introduce an unusual complication.

• StefanMoonenStefanMoonen Stefan Moonen NLUniversity ✭✭
    edited September 19

With the latest preview and the Xcode 9 GM I've had issues editing storyboard files in Xcode.
    When clicking on a ViewController, it seems it cannot find the matching .h file as if the project is not fully initialised by Xcode. If you select the matching header file manually it says it can't create outlets for example because the file doesn't belong to the controller.

Reverting back to the stable channel and Xcode 8 fixed this problem immediately. Is this an issue known by other people? I'm quite afraid not a lot of people have tried this combination yet.

It seems I have the same problem as this guy: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=58198

• StefanMoonenStefanMoonen Stefan Moonen NLUniversity ✭✭
    edited September 19

I've just installed the latest stable updates for Xamarin, and the bug still persists with all my projects.

When selecting a ViewController in a storyboard, the assistant editor set to Automatic yields "No Assistant Results", and manually choosing the header file doesn't allow adding outlets with the following error message in a bubble:

Could not insert new outlet connection: Could not find any information for the class named [ViewControllerNameHere]

Update:
    As a work-around, it's possible to enter the outlet in code manually, and then just drag the line from your control to that piece of code. So it can't generate the outlet in code for you (anymore), but luckily, you can still do it manually.

• ChristopheChantraineChristopheChantraine Christophe Chantraine USMember
    edited September 21

@StefanMoonen I confirmed, I have exactly the same bug. Hope it will be fixed ASAP :smile:

EDIT: I opened a bug report : https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59632

edited September 22

Could not insert new outlet connection

Developer Community cross-reference

• 116798, Visual Studio for Mac

Bugzilla cross-reference

Forums cross-references

For updates on the outlet issue, please continue to follow the Developer Community and Bugzilla items mentioned above.

This thread has now been closed to direct all other new information about this release onto the latest announcement:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/103550/stable-channel-15-3-5-release/p1

This discussion has been closed.