• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

For Windows Phone 8.1.... is what the title should say.

• zahikramerzahikramer ILMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

@JamesMontemagno Is it James?
    WP81 is the most popular OS for WP. Not all phones can upgrade to Windows 10.
    So, most of devices are WP81, so how Microsoft dropping WP81 ?
    I also trying to find on Microsoft site menus for Windows Phone and I can't find it!
    Even here at Xamarin, there is no Windows Phone Forum!

I need to dig hard for my old posts on WP Native and XF.
    Now you guys at Xamarin are Microsoft guys , so , do you have other info?

The community needs clarifications about this!

• RyanDixonRyanDixon USMember ✭✭✭

Good riddance WinRT! hopefully now I will have no reason at all to use Shared Projects...
    I presume Xamarin is also dropping WP 8.1 and Windows Store support excluding of course UWP? it would make sense as Visual Studio 2017 doesn't really support it either anymore.

Is UWP still going to be supported?
    Even for Windows 10 mobile?

• N_BauaN_Baua INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @N_Baua .
    I think the developers community needs to hear clear things from Xamarin!

• N_BauaN_Baua INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Very true @zahikramer ,
    However you know how giant corporate works, Things are always Gray and there is always an element of surprise. :grey_question: :grey_question: :grey_question:

Even if the news about Windows 10 on Mobiles is 50% correct, days will not be far, this becomes a reality(unless MS wants to impose Windows 10/10+ and roll it out as as major competition to Apple/Google).

Lucky I am that our client did last minute withdrawal for UWP early this year when my current project was awarded. Wishing good-luck to everyone who is currently developing/supporting on UWP projects,.

N Baua

• RyanFrenchRyanFrench USMember ✭✭

Good riddance, maybe now more focus can be spent on Xamarin Android.

• HunumanHunuman GBMember ✭✭✭✭

Is the move to support WPF in Xamarin.Forms indicative of this predicted demise?

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

We started supporting UWP in Windows 10 mobile devices and it's been more trouble than it's worth, a pain to side load/deploy and the users hate the devices.

I think someone has seen sense and we're moving to Android instead.

I think UWP will just be for tablet devices the way things are going.

I think UWP will be supported, the older platform support is getting dropped from Forms. The roadmap should really make clear what's happening so people don't get burnt on money spent supporting dying platforms.

I agree @NMackay !
    Microsoft / Xamarin should be clear about that for our community!

• bobLawsonbobLawson GBMember ✭✭

I dont think that anyone will miss it TBH. Customers often ask for full platform support but when you discuss budgets it very quickly focuses the mind and what they really need is Android and iOS.
    The less platforms (and the less form-factors) the better in my mind.

You right @bobLawson ,
    but I confused , I see UWP is still supported .
    Today .Net Core 2.0 is released, and UWP is mentioned there.
    So, why no one from Xamarin / Microsoft is commenting about it???!!!
    @JamesMontemagno @DavidOrtinau ???

• MMountainMMountain USMember ✭✭

@zahikramer said:
    You right @bobLawson ,
    but I confused , I see UWP is still supported .
    Today .Net Core 2.0 is released, and UWP is mentioned there.
    So, why no one from Xamarin / Microsoft is commenting about it???!!!
    @JamesMontemagno @DavidOrtinau ???

Because no one from Xamarin comments on anything. From the start they needed different people running the company, just my opinion based on my experience with Xamarin since day 1.

• www.theverge.com/2017/10/9/16446280/microsoft-finally-admits-windows-phone-is-dead

What's going to happen to Xamarin then?

Good Point @TaqiyuddinBakir .
    It's a shame no one from Xamarin is commenting about this.
    @DavidOrtinau , @JamesMontemagno
    ??????

• Please say something @DavidOrtinau !

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

Good morning!

First, apologies if I've been more quiet of late. Xamarin work keeps one very busy! I was meeting with our awesome Visual Studio and component partners in Redmond, and then working at Ignite to support James in the keynote and then myself deliver a well attended session on Xamarin.Forms. That coupled with helping the team get 2.4 shipped, setting the stage for our next pre-release (very soon) and working through improving our .NET Standard 2.0 experience....yeh, busy.

I say all of that both by way of explaining my distraction, AND to exemplify just how very much alive and growing Xamarin is! This is exactly where you want to be and where you want to invest your mobile plans. :)

In terms of our support for Windows platforms, WP8 and 8.1 will be deprecated and we already have a PR for that. UWP is where we will continue to invest for Windows platforms and make it an ever better experience.

• Thanks @DavidOrtinau . Good to hear that. Keep up the good work!

• MilenMarinovMilenMarinov BGMember ✭✭

Good to hear that, indeed. However, I don't see the economic reasoning for this. Xamarin looked like the best chance MS had to bring more apps to WP. Now that MS abandons WP and since Xamarin is free what will pay for all that work.

• @MilenMarinov I think Xamarin is part of bigger picture that is MS software development technologies. Within it are .Net, SharePoint, SQL Server, TeamServer, Azure and others. Some of these technologies are available for free, such as VS community, SQL Express and a bunch of others. This, I think is MS' way to retain and expand the number of developers utilizing MS' technologies. Remember Steve Ballmer's chant? Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

So I think although MS don't have their own mobile platform, it will still continue to develop and expand Xamarin as a foothold on mobile developers and platform. Some of these developers might then consume other tools by MS, like Azure, VS, TFS so on so forth.

My 2 cents.

We ditched UWP support for LOB enterprise apps after a year of development a few months back, thankfully as it was a Forms app the UWP side was just one platform and no product redevelopment required but it took a fair bit of my time and deployment was a nightmare so mixed feelings on this one.

The fact is, the users hated using the devices and kept handing them back and demanding an iPhone....so they get an Android unless they are an important user :smile:

If your developing a shared UWP/Android/iOS/MacOs app then nothing has changed I guess, I do feel for people who have invested a lot of time/money in developing new apps for Windows Mobile but I'm happy we're not supporting it any longer.

• KevinRobinKevinRobin AUMember ✭✭

@zahikramer said:
    Thanks @N_Baua .
    I think the developers community needs to hear clear things from Xamarin!

I am Agree with that