"Developer Accounts" menu item is missing

Hi

I am trying out Xamarin with VS and have installed everything on both my Win 7 PC and also my MAC.

I'm following the instructions point-by-point but I'm stuck on the bit where I need to add my Apple Developer account on my MAC. The menu item is missing and I'm unable to find any help online.

I have attached a screenshot and would very much appreciate any help or guidance.

Best regards,

S

• PerHungebergMllerPerHungebergMller DKMember ✭✭✭

@ScootHalls make sure you have the latest stable version 4.0.13 of Xamarin.Studio installed.
    You can also try the alpha version 4.1.13 to see if that changes anything (you can always go back to the stable version again).

• googertoonsgoogertoons USMember

I am having this same issue after installing maverick iOS. Anyone know what to do?

• I have the same problem. Any info on this?

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

What version of Xamarin Studio do you have installed on the Mac?

• KentBoogaartKentBoogaart AUMember ✭✭

Same problem. Running latest on alpha channel (4.3.4 build 0). If I try to deploy regardless I get "Application could not be uploaded to the device."

FWIW, this is the error in the "Deploy to Device" tab:

/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch -sdkroot "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer" -installdev "/Users/kent/Projects/DeployTest/DeployTest/bin/iPhone/Debug/DeployTest.app" "--devname=Kent's iPad"
    Please ensure your device is connected...
    Connected to: Kent's iPad
    Uploading application
    Application uploaded
    Installing application
    error MT1006: Could not install the application '/Users/kent/Projects/DeployTest/DeployTest/bin/iPhone/Debug/DeployTest.app' on the device Kent's iPad: Your code signing/provisioning profiles are not correctly configured.   Probably you have an entitlement not supported by your current provisioning profile, check the iOS Device Log for details (error: 0xe8008016).
    The application was terminated by a signal: SIGHUP

Is this problem being addressed? It's a big blocker for me. I am debating whether to roll back to the beta or stable channels, despite them having problems of their own. Very frustrating.

Sorry, just realized this is for VS whereas I'm using XS. I just posted this thread instead.

• BrunoKenjBrunoKenj USMember

Same problem here. Just installed the Xamarin Studio. Missing the Developer Account tab.

• BrunoKenjBrunoKenj USMember

WTF

• KMullinsKMullins USXamarin Team Xamurai

Sorry for the confusion, the Developer Tab has been removed from the latest version of Xamarin Studio. The Developer Account integration in XS relied on the Apple developer website's URL, if Apple changed their website it could break Xamarin Studio.

You'll now need to use Xcode to maintain your Developer Accounts, Certificates and Provisioning Profiles.

To update or install new certificates using Xcode, do the following:

• If running, exit Xamarin Studio.
    • Start Xcode.
    • Open Xcode Menu > Preferences... > Accounts Tab.
    • If asked, enter your Apple ID and your Password.
    • Click the View Details... button.
    • In the lower left-hand side of the Account Details sheet, click the Refresh icon button.
    • Click the Done button.
    • Exit Xcode.
    • Restart Xamarin Studio.
    • Open your Solution and double click your Project in the Solution Explorer to open the Options Dialog.
    • Select the iOS Bundle Signing tab.
    • Select your Identity and Provisioning Profile.
    • Click the OK button.

If your are still having issues getting new Certificates or provisioning profiles to show up, you might have to install them by hand from the Apple iOS Developer Portal.

To update or install new certificates by hand, do the following:

• If running, exit Xamarin Studio.
    • In your web browser navigate to https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action.
    • Click on the Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles link.
    • Under iOS, click on the Provisioning Profiles link.
    • Click on the desired Profile in the list of available profiles.
    • Click on the Download link
    • After the file has downloaded, locate it in your Downloads Directory and double click it to install.
    • Follow any prompts to install the new profile.
    • Restart Xamarin Studio.
    • Open your Solution and double click your Project in the Solution Explorer to open the Options Dialog.
    • Select the iOS Bundle Signing tab.
    • Select your Identity and Provisioning Profile.
    • Click the OK button.

We are currently in the process of updating our documentation. Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Sincerely,

Kevin

• KMullinsKMullins USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 2014

All,

I just wanted to quickly state that the Documentation section has been updated to reflect the changes in Xamarin Studio. The information on Device Provisioning can be found here.

Again, please let me know if there are any questions.

Kevin

• Kevin, I just wanted to tell you this is the biggest PITA ever. Xamarin really need to consider documenting all of this and making a walk through guide. As is, I am not confident pitching a project I've managed to get working at work - working at home - to clients. Its just ridiculous. I see the same awful problems, time and time again. Sure Apple have made it unnecessarily complex, and I have been through that and managed to get it working. BUT. WHEN are you guys going to realize that to make this software a delight (quoting Miguel) - it has to simply work! I've worked for Microsoft PSS in dev support and even I'm finding this tricky. You either need to work with Apple or make a guide, it is just absolutely crazy it being this complicated!

• AmyBAmyB USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 2015

Hey @MeaningOfLights, we actually consider the area pretty well documented. I completely agree with you that the area is very tricky, and I'm pretty sure everyone has stumbled somewhere along the way! Due to this fact we have thrived to make our documentation on the area a) up to date (You would not believe how often Apple make changes!), and b) as thorough and uncomplicated as we possibly can.

I would be only too happy to get feedback from yourself, and others, on how we can make your experience better with Xamarin. We have documents covering both provisioning (Incl. Free Provisioning which was introduced in Xcode 7), and Distribution, but if you have anything additional that you think we should consider adding, please let us know!

Thanks

• JeremyThompson.9126JeremyThompson.9126 AUMember
    edited September 2015

Apologies Amy, it is Apple I am completely and utterly annoyed with. I shouldn't have taken my frustration out on you guys.

I have copied a working solution, renamed it by one fullstop . and cannot get past the Apple "No valid iPhone code signing keys" error when I compile. I did follow the guides, in particular the one you wrote which solved the problem when I first encountered it.

Your instructions are good - its Apples process that is completely unintuitive. Apart from Apple simplifying the process, the only feedback I have is to expand the instructions to show which steps are required to set it up for a second solution. Ideally Apple would make it machine wide rather than for each solution.

When you've gone through it once and got it working then you expect your dev environment to be setup and creating additional solutions to be straight forward. But its not, you end up with multiple Provisioning and Certificates. And its not something you can debug, you follow the instructions again and again without luck, its not an error that's easy to troubleshoot. This is where my frustration stems, I did RTFM and have set it up to work already, what more does Apple want, my first born?!

I appreciate you reaching out to me @AmyBurns.3164, I do believe in the goodness of your product and can imagine how tricky it is to deliver a framework that works on thousands of different devices, across dozens of manufacturers. With this in mind, it seems silly to be complaining about getting stuck with over the top licensing policies from 3rd party vendors. Especially when it involves the only 3rd party who charges developers to create apps for their platform.

</rant>

• AmyBAmyB USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hey @MeaningOfLights -- no apologies necessary. If I had a dollar for every time someone was frustrated about provisioning, I would have already retired and would be living on my yacht!

I'm interested that you say it only works for one solution though; providing you are signing the application with a provisioning profile that contains a wildcard App ID you should be able to use this same profile for other applications (obviously if your app uses special services, you would need to create an explicit App ID).

We also wrote a new Troubleshooting doc, which you can find here it has some good tips and trick that myself and others had found to make their lives a little easier when provisioning. Again, this is a living document and we would be happy to update it with any tips that you, or other Xamarin developers think would find useful.