Using AUGraph, not getting sound

aallen8455aallen8455 ✭✭USMember ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Xamarin.iOS

I'm trying to get the following example working in a Xamarin.Mac project. It's an AUGraph that connects a mixer to the default output (similar to https://developer.xamarin.com/samples/monotouch/MultichannelMixer/). The mixer has one input which is a render callback that generates a sine wav.

This is the code in the ViewDidLoad method of the view controller:

var graph = new AUGraph();

var output = graph.AddNode(AudioComponentDescription.CreateOutput(AudioTypeOutput.Default));

var mixer = graph.AddNode(AudioComponentDescription.CreateMixer(AudioTypeMixer.MultiChannel));

if (graph.TryOpen() != 0)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

var mixNode = graph.GetNodeInfo(mixer);

// configure mixer
            if (mixNode.SetElementCount(AudioUnitScopeType.Input, 1) != AudioUnitStatus.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

if (mixNode.SetRenderCallback(HandleRenderDelegate, AudioUnitScopeType.Global, 0) != AudioUnitStatus.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

var outNode = graph.GetNodeInfo(output);

// define stream description
            var desc = new AudioStreamBasicDescription();
            desc.BitsPerChannel = 32;
            desc.BytesPerFrame = 4;
            desc.BytesPerPacket = 4;
            desc.Format = AudioFormatType.LinearPCM;
            desc.FormatFlags = AudioStreamBasicDescription.AudioFormatFlagsAudioUnitNativeFloat;
            desc.FramesPerPacket = 1;
            desc.ChannelsPerFrame = 2;
            desc.SampleRate = 44100;

// set mixer input format
            if (mixNode.SetFormat(desc, AudioUnitScopeType.Input, 0) != AudioUnitStatus.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

// connect mixer's output to the output
            if (graph.ConnnectNodeInput(mixer, 0, output, 0) != AUGraphError.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

// set format of mixer's output
            desc = mixNode.GetAudioFormat(AudioUnitScopeType.Output);

desc.SampleRate = 44100;

if (outNode.SetFormat(desc, AudioUnitScopeType.Input,0) != AudioUnitStatus.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

if (mixNode.SetFormat(desc, AudioUnitScopeType.Output) != AudioUnitStatus.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

if (graph.Initialize() != AUGraphError.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

if (graph.Start() != AUGraphError.OK)
            {
                throw new Exception();
            }

This is the render callback:
int sample = 0;

unsafe AudioUnitStatus HandleRenderDelegate(AudioUnitRenderActionFlags actionFlags, AudioTimeStamp timeStamp, uint busNumber, uint numberFrames, AudioBuffers data)
        {
            var left = (float*)data[0].Data;
            var right = (float*)data[1].Data;

for (var i = 0; i < numberFrames; i++)
            {
                float sampleValue = (float)Math.Sin(sample * 2 * Math.PI * 440 / 44100);
                left[i] = right[i] = sampleValue;
                sample++;
            }

return AudioUnitStatus.OK;
        }

The callback is running and the buffer is being filled but no sound is generated. The example works in Xamarin.iOS with AudioTypeOutput.Remote being used in place of AudioTypeOutput.Default but for some reason macOS is not playing the sound. Any ideas?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• aallen8455aallen8455 ✭✭ US ✭✭
    edited July 2017 Accepted Answer

I found out that if I switch to the Stereo mixer then it works, so the problem seems to be with MultiChannel mixer (Matrix mixer doesn't work either). Is this a bug with Xamarin.Mac or am I doing something wrong?

Update: I just needed to set the output volume of the MultiChannel mixer, apparently it defaults to 0. Mystery solved!

Answers

• aallen8455aallen8455 ✭✭ USMember ✭✭
    edited July 2017 Accepted Answer

I found out that if I switch to the Stereo mixer then it works, so the problem seems to be with MultiChannel mixer (Matrix mixer doesn't work either). Is this a bug with Xamarin.Mac or am I doing something wrong?

Update: I just needed to set the output volume of the MultiChannel mixer, apparently it defaults to 0. Mystery solved!