Can't build with preview - trouble conneting to mac server

RBrianLindahlRBrianLindahl R. Brian LindahlUSMember ✭✭
edited July 9 in Xamarin Live Player

I'm using VS 2017 preview 3, along with the xamarin updater. I was able to build fine a few hours ago. Now, even though the mac agent is connected successfully, i'm getting

The Xamarin Build Agent is not running on the Mac. An active Build Agent is required to perform the build

I've completely wiped xamarin from the mac and reinstalled vs-mac along with the alpha channel updates. i've also followed through all the steps in the 'connection troubleshooting' page. nothing jumps out at me from the logs, and a diagnostic build log doesn't show anything.

regular VS can build OK.

very frustrated. no clue what got changed. i had created a new xamarin app, and it built and ran in the live player just fine. then i went to xamarin university and was following along with the mytunes sample. downloaded it, tried to build, and couldn't.

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 Brad Chase USMember ✭✭✭

I am unfortunately getting the same thing now. I am trying every combination I can in terms of releases, VS2017, VS2017p4, VS2015 all channels... Cant seem to find one that works

• bytebuilderbytebuilder Krlos C USMember ✭✭

Same here. Has anyone found a solution for this?

@RBrianLindahl @BradChase.2654 Just curious if yuou have you found a workaround for this issue. I am still running into it. :(

edited July 19

@bytebuilder Sure... you are not going to like the answer though... I formatted my machine. I am never installing Preview again thats for sure.

Somehow the wires are crossing even though I thought they were not supposed to. My best advice would be to force it to forget all the macs by right clicking on them in the visual agent and forgetting. Move to stable channel on Mac and use VS 2017 (NON PREVIEW). Hope it works for ya :(.

EDIT: After forgetting make sure to close and restart visual studio with a good delete of your bin/obj directories. Not that that will help much but its good practice when things start going haywire.

@BradChase.2654 I had to go the same route, unfortunately, except the formatting part. I really wanted to avoid that if at all possible. Just changing the Visual Studio for MAC version in my Mac to stable and then forgetting/adding the mac server again did it for me. everything seems to be working now, but i really wanted to use the preview :(, I'll just wait until it's released as stable.

@bytebuilder Great to hear! I wish they would just have a package installer for Xamarin which we could select which version of Xamarin we wanted (even nightly!) for each platform. The current issues are each platform has new bugs on every release. So we like to use a specific version of Xamarin for each OS independent of each other which makes for one HELL of a deploy day for me.

• BriochebroBriochebro Mathieu Brault CAMember

Same problem here.

Visual Studio 2017. New project -> iPhone -> MasterDetail App (iPhone).

• Forget Mac agent.
    • Re-add mac agent (successfully). Little monitor is green in toolbar.
      -Build solution = "error : The Xamarin Build Agent is not running on the Mac. An active Build Agent is required to perform the build"

Removed Mobile Development with .NET from VS, then re-added it again. Same problem.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno James Montemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
  • BriochebroBriochebro Mathieu Brault CAMember

I reverted the old Apple SDK. It somehow get updated to a preview build. The new update also keeps things running smooth.