Determine logical View's size?

ShimmyWeitzhandlerShimmyWeitzhandler USMember ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi,

How do I determine what space a View requires?

For example:

<Label Text="Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" />

What will be this Label's size without knowing anything about its parents.
Now same question about a Cell, Panel or anything, consisting of a set of multiple controls, how can I recursively determine the size it requires (by requires I mean its minimum height in order to display its contents on screen without chopping it off).

Answers

• ShimmyWeitzhandlerShimmyWeitzhandler USMember ✭✭✭

In WPF/UWP it's called ActualHeight, is there a Xamarin counterpart of that?

• HunumanHunuman GBMember ✭✭✭✭

Hi @ShimmyWeitzhandler

There are some new device aware size conversion tools in the Skia# Forms.
    Not sure they do exactly what you are looking for, but could be worth having a look.

Hope this helps

Tim

@Hunuman it would have helped if I started my project in Skia# in first place...

• DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

@ShimmyWeitzhandler can you elaborate a bit more on why you want to do this? These calculations are built in to Xamarin.Forms and it's usually not necessary to know the actual values that they calculate.

The current reason I want this is, I have a ListView, and I want to make it size to its elements. The problem is I don't know the element size.

I created this behavior that works well, but it doesn't measure the sizes of the elements.
    As a temporary workaround, to measure the elements (in HasUnevenRows) I apply the template to each of the items. When the rows are even I'd only measure the size once.
    I can cache the results so items processed are skipped, but I don't think this is the right way to go anyway, so I left it like it is as a temporary hack.