Adding a reference to a library in one folder continues to redirect the reference to another folder

TrevorYokumTrevorYokum USMember ✭✭

Hey guys, I have an interesting problem that I haven't seen/can't seem to find anywhere on the forums or Stack Overflow. My coworker has a class library written in C# that has the core functions of his Android application that I have converted to make iOS-specific such that I can make an iOS application with this core class library. We have a dll that we reference and sometimes have to update it for new fields in our database or new user features that we add to our application.

My iOS-specific class library somehow references this dll from the bin\Debug folder in the project folder. This isn't great because every time I do a rebuild on the class library, the dll gets wiped out and I have to copy it over from elsewhere. I've been developing like this for months without impedance; however, I finally decided to try and clean the project up. When I change the reference from pointing to the C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\VS2015\Projects\Polaris\bin\Debug folder to pointing to C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\VS2015\Projects\Polaris\References by removing the reference from my existing references and adding the same dll in that second location, it constantly returns to referencing the initial, bin\Debug location.

Does anyone know why this could be? It's extremely annoying that I'm unable to do a rebuild of my project without copying over files that otherwise could be in an external location. Any help would be greatly appreciated; such a strange problem.

Thanks!