Cannot launch Profiler

PatrickLongPatrickLong USMember ✭✭

Enable Debugging - Ticked
Enable Profiling - Ticked

Rebuild All - Success
Debug on Device - Success

Then try Analyze - Xamarin Profiler and it fails with "The application could not be profiled"

"Please ensure that is has been built successfully", well it clearly has because I was able to debug on device right before trying.

In the Output window I get

"Deploy failed. The app 'ASSEMBLYNAME' could not be deployed to the device 'AA Test iPhone 01'. Error: error MT1001: Could not find an application at the specified directory: /Users/macmini/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/ASSEMBLYNAME/905548e7be511ce31e001b2858172e80/bin/iPhone/Debug/ASSEMBLYNAME.app"

VS 2015 -> Help -> Xamarin -> Open Logs

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Services.ProfilerService|Error|0|The application could not be profiled. Please ensure that it has been built successfully and try again
Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell.Commands.LaunchProfilerCommand|Error|0|The application could not be profiled. Please ensure that it has been built successfully and try again

Where can I get some support with this issue?

Answers

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

hmm, this was filed to Bugzilla the other day, so the XamarinVS team are already looking at it.

• PatrickLongPatrickLong USMember ✭✭

Rodrigo, can you help me with a workaround? The current situation is not really acceptable. I have upgraded to VS Enterprise for a single reason, to get access to the profiler.

The profiler is not working. It's not like I am trying to do something outside of the "Happy Path". I am getting no further than Analyze -> Xamarin Profiler. That's basic functionality

The app builds fine on my machine, I can deploy it to my device. The profiler says it cannot find it.

You are right it is logged in BugZilla, I logged it. It was marked as "NEEDINFO", I've added the info and heard nothing more. It has been suggested I pay and log a support request. To be honest if I was doing something unusual and/or outside what the profiler should be able to do out-of-the-box I would but it's ridiculous that I have to pay for a support request for this.

I'm sure the profiler has been tested with complex apps so I assume we are doing something that it has never seen before. The trouble is the logging\error handling of the profiler isn't giving me much to go on

TIA

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

Ok, let's see, first, what versions of XamarinVS, etc are you using? Thus, I can check if the fix in that bug is already published, and where.

Second, is "macmini" your user ID on the connected mac? You can easily find running id command on a terminal on the Mac. Also, on the Mac there are logs, at ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin-xx (where xx is the version of your XVS install on Windows) and ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin-99.1 (for profiler-related logs), so can you share those? Hopefully they include more information.

• PatrickLongPatrickLong USMember ✭✭
    edited July 4

"macmini" is indeed the userid of one of the 2 macs i use. I've updated the BUG with logs from client office Mac

Thanks