How can I start up the iOS simulator?

kylehumfeldkylehumfeld USMember ✭✭

From VS2017 on my Windows computer, I get several options when setting up my Xamarin iOS project's deployment.
Because with some recent update, nothing from Windows will even build onto the Mac ("The root assembly /Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/[path]/Debug/[myExe].exe conflicts with another assembly /Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/[path]/Debug/[myExe].exe", which doesn't make any sense because it's the exact same path and file that's conflicting with itself), I finally gave up and decided to try building the app on VS2017 on the Mac.

Unfortunately, the VS build options are completely different, in the sense that half of it is entirely absent.

In the upper toolbar, near the stoplight buttons that are part of every OS X window, there's a line-triangle icon with no hover (it's facing to the right, though, so maybe it means 'run', or 'play' or something like that? It's 'intuitive', so I have no idea), then a single box that has a segmented dropdown UI element that has '[myApp].iOS > Debug > [line-triangle icon] Generic Device'... but when I click on the 'Generic Device' part, the only options are 'Device - Connect a provisioned Apple device via USB', and 'Build Only Device - Generic Device'.

Unlike in VS on Windows, there's no option for iPhone Simulator, nor any of the simulator options that I see in VS/Windows.

So... how do I use the iOS sim on my Mac to simulate my iOS Xamarin project?

Best Answer

Answers

• kylehumfeldkylehumfeld USMember ✭✭

@Sharma.Sumit , thanks for the reply, but the core of my question is about how to get VS2017 on the Mac to do what I'm used to it doing on Windows. The UIs are completely different in the Build configuration area, and I don't seem to have the option to deploy to 'iPhone Simulator', nor to choose a particular sim as a deployment target.

• Sumit_SharmaSumit_Sharma USMember ✭✭✭

@kylehumfeld said:
    @Sharma.Sumit , thanks for the reply, but the core of my question is about how to get VS2017 on the Mac to do what I'm used to it doing on Windows. The UIs are completely different in the Build configuration area, and I don't seem to have the option to deploy to 'iPhone Simulator', nor to choose a particular sim as a deployment target.

So sorry for that, I didn't read your question carefully, My Bad .

I thought your main problem was "The root assembly /Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/[path]/Debug/[myExe].exe conflicts with another assembly /Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/[path]/Debug/[myExe].exe"

Thanks for the replies, @JGoldberger and @Sharma.Sumit. I should be back on the Mac tomorrow, and I'll try fiddling with the configurations as Jon suggested. The iPhone Simulator was not an option in the Debug dropdown, I can tell you that, as that's where I expected to find it.

@JGoldberger I got back on the Mac, and Debug has an iPhone Simulator option. I'm pretty sure it didn't have that before, but if it did, that wouldn't be the first time I've missed something that's staring me in the face. So it looks like I'm good to go now. Thanks!

• SergeyIvanov.9607SergeyIvanov.9607 USMember ✭✭
    edited November 2018

If you are on a Mac there a way to list all available simulators and real devices, you don't have an option to start them from there though

• Start the XCode
    • Goto Window / Devices and Simulators
    • In the window that opens there are two tabs on the top to choose between real devices and simulators
      So if you click on the "simulators" you'll have a lot to chose from. Hope this would be helpful.