xamarin workbooks not launching iOS simulator

When I attempt to open a new Xamarin.iOS workbook, the status message at the top of the Xamarin Workbooks shows 'Connecting to agent' with a spinning progress indicator. Eventually a 'Problem Report for Simulator' window will open saying 'Simulator cannot be opened because of a problem'.

I can open an iOS simulator using XCode > 'Open Developer Tool' > 'Simulator'. But I can't seem to get Xamarin Workbooks to open using this simulator.

Using Mac laptop with VS for Mac and XCode installed.

Answers

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

Hi Greg,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I have a few questions for you that might help us find an answer:

• Have you previously used VS for Mac to debug an iOS app without any problems?
    • When you open an iOS simulator from Xcode, and it works, what version of Xcode are you using? What is the installed path for that Xcode version (by default it's usually /Applications/Xcode.app).
    • In Visual Studio for Mac, go to Visual Studio -> Preferences -> Projects -> SDK Location -> Apple, and confirm that the SDK location is pointing to the installed path of your working Xcode.
    • In a terminal, run xcode-select -p, and confirm what path it is pointing to. It should be something like /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer.

I'm guessing you have a mismatch somewhere between those settings that might need to be corrected.