Forum Xamarin.Forms

To have the FontFamily/FontSize property for all controls with Title/Text property

N_BauaN_Baua INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been using Xamarin from a short while and surprisingly when I dig down for some UI related changes I see lot of time simple things don't work or does not have support for them.

For example controls like Picker (which I guess most common yet most overlooked control in XF family) which just got ItemsSource property after years lack the FontFamily property. ViewCell and ImageCell also no exceptions to it (It would be good if I can change FontSize + FontFamily for details right>).

Wouldn't it be nice for people to have custom fonts applied to their controls and get rid from custom renderers and custom controls!

Please have FontFamily and/or FontSize property implemented in XF :)

Regards,
N Baua

Tagged:

Rejected · Last Updated

This thread does not follow the forum guidelines.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

You can set the font family for a control with the FontFamily setter and you can set the font size based OnPlatform & Idiom, you can do all this in an App style in the app.xaml ResourceDictionary (implicit styling).

• N_BauaN_Baua INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@NMackay said:
    You can set the font family for a control with the FontFamily setter and you can set the font size based OnPlatform & Idiom, you can do all this in an App style in the app.xaml ResourceDictionary (implicit styling).

Hi Norman,
    I agree what you say, however I am also talking about the controls like Picker and ViewCell/ImageCell, where the said properties go for toss. They are simply looking odd on my screen.

Can you throw some light on using OnPlatform & Idiom, especially for Pickers?
    I am having rough time setting the UI with those controls you know.

What I want to do is use the Lato Sans font through out my app and be that to super easy, no custom rendering etc.
    Can you suggest if I can use something like

< Picker x:Name="ChooseItems" ItemsSource="{Binding ThisGotItsSources}"
    Title="Select Your Pie" ItemDisplayBinding="{Binding Name}" SelectedItem="{Binding SelectedPie}">

<OnPlateform:Android></OnPlateform:Android>//I know this is not the syntax

< /Picker>

or may be with some attached properties?

A small example would be great. Thanks

Regards,
    N Baua

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

This isn't the forum for this sort of discussion.

Check out effects, it's a useful way to customise stuff like pickers.

• AdamMeaneyAdamMeaney USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Along with actually having Font Properties, it would be nice if things would resize properly when their Font Size changes.

For instance, most of the time my Entries do not grow in height if the Font is larger than they are. That gives a terrible user experience to me.

This discussion has been closed.