Preview: Xamarin.Forms Embedding

2»

• rseostarrseostar USUniversity ✭✭

@Xavios Need the stack trace from the exception to help you out.

• XaviosXavios BEMember

@rseostar

pastebin.com/H5xaZ7h0

Thank you

@Xavios Try turning your output detail up, and run through it again to see if it gives any more info.
    (Options -> Projects and Solutions -> Build and Run -> selected detailed under the "MSBuild project build output verbosity" dropdown.)

As you probably noticed, the output you are getting isn't helpful at all by just saying an exception occurred with no indication as to why. PM me if you find anything :smile:

• AlexanderGnauckAlexanderGnauck DEMember
    edited October 29

is it already possible to embed Xamarin.Froms 3.0 in WPF Desktop (not UWP) or Winforms applications?
    If yes, is there an example?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

No. WinForms is long dead and not XAML compatible.
    Nor are you going to put Xamarin XAML into a WPF application

While all the concepts are interchangable, there are enough differences to make this not a good path to even try.

Just make a new Xamarin.Forms application - then import the models, ViewModels and other CSharp logic classes. If you created a good, well-architected WPF application then you don't really have a lot of work to import those classes. If you didn't, then you needed to go back and make a better version 2 of it anyway.

@ClintStLaurent @AlexanderGnauck Looks like @jsuarezruiz has an example of embedding forms in wpf up on github. https://github.com/jsuarezruiz/forms-embedding-wpf

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@rseostar @AlexanderGnauck
    I'm sure if you look enough on the internet you can find examples of just about anything.
    I have no doubt that I can find a video on how to convert my '68 VW Beetle into an 18 Wheeler. But does that make it a good idea?

You do what you like - it doesn't effect anyone but you. But I'll tell ya right now - if someone interviewed with me that had done something like that their resume would go to the bottom of the stack.

Personal advice

WinForms is F'ing dead - let it die. Bring your skillset forward 15 years and just make a new decent app using modern principals and designs. Trying to hang on to that old crap is not doing you any favors.

2»