Where Did My XIB Files Go?????

Working on my project today and double-clicked on a XIB file in my Solution view. In the past it always started Xcode and brought me right to the IB Builder. Last few days I did this and it still worked, but always gave me some Xcode error that I ignored.

HOWEVER...

This time I doubled-clicked on a XIB in the Solution Explorer and got the usual error, but XCode never came up automatically as before. And all of my 30 or so XIB files are no longer showing up in the Solution View. The files still exist on disk, and the project still builds, even after a Clean and Rebuild.

So what happened???

• Had the same issue twice. After closing XIB file, ALL xib files in solution view are lost!

• PaulKellyPaulKelly USMember ✭✭

Hi,
    This just happened to me too !
    What is the cause and more importantly what is the solution ?

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Somehow Xamarin Studio got the impression that the xib files were removed from the Xcode project, and so removed them from the Xamarin Studio project thinking that that was what you wanted.

Obviously, in this case, you didn't remove them from the Xcode project and something went horribly wrong when trying to sync out to Xcode and/or launching Xcode and the asynchronous try-and-integrate-with-Xcode logic got horribly confused and then tried to sync back from Xcode and since the xib files weren't there, wrongly assumed you had deleted them and so removed them from the Xamarin Studio project, thinking that it was the right thing to do.

I'm just glad I had the foresight to not make it permanently delete the xib files in the Xamarin Studio project directory and had it simply remove them from the project instead, so at least you guys can add those files back to the project...

I'll try to look into this and see if I can figure out what might have gone wrong.

What version of Xamarin Studio are you guys using?

• IvanHarrisIvanHarris USMember ✭✭✭

xamarin studio 4.2.2 (build 2)

same thing happened to me. Im glad you did that (remove, not delete the files). I did see that they were still in the folder and not deleted before I saw this post. Glad to know you know what the problem is and that temporarily I can just add them back to the project.

oh, just FYI, the project still Cleans and Rebuilds successfully... even with the missing files in the project. Not sure if that helps or not.