How to include library in a solution

Apologies in advance if this is obvious but I'm new to C# and the .net way of things and can't figure this out.

How do I include a solution within a solution? For example, if I want to include the SQLite-net extensions (https://bitbucket.org/twincoders/sqlite-net-extensions) in my solution how do I do it (in Xamarin Studio)? In Xcode I'd just add it as a subproject but I'm stumped with Xamarin Studio.

I'd like not to make any changes to the sub-solution so I can easily pull updates.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Solutions cannot be nested. However, you could add the projects to your solution - just right-click on your solution and choose "Add -> Existing project". You can organize the projects within the solution using solution folders.

• SteveFlackSteveFlack GBMember ✭✭

So what exactly are solution folders? I saw them in the UI (even created them by accident) but wasn't sure what they were for. Are they just logical folders for projects (ie not real folders on disk)?

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Correct, though in practice people usually make them match actual folders on disk. They'e useful for organizing solutions with large numbers of projects. You can also add arbitrary files to solution folders, for example READMEs.

You can also use workspaces as containers for multiple solutions, though this doesn't currently offer any benefits beyond easily opening multiple solutions at once, and workspaces cannot be opened by Visual Studio.