Forum Xamarin.Forms

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Is it possible to build multiple apps from the same source code (Single Project) in xamarin forms

DarshanJSDarshanJS USMember ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys ,

Is it possible to build multiple apps from the same source code in Xamarin forms
i.e i want to make some changes like login page and want to build different apps for different clients but the same code

i want to build in both Android and ios platforms using Xamarin Form

Please guide me unless i can't start the project

Thanks in Advance.

Answers

• ankushguptaankushgupta USMember ✭✭

yes, you can build multiple apps from the same source code.

• ArtdemsArtdems FRMember ✭✭

the goal of Xamarin.Forms is to bild multiple apps from the same code, or I don't understand your question.

• DarshanJSDarshanJS USMember ✭✭✭✭

@ankushgupta said:
    yes, you can build multiple apps from the same source code.

Thanks for your reply but how, in ios using same signature can we build different apps

Just, what do you mean by "different application with the same code"

@Artdems said:
    the goal of Xamarin.Forms is to bild multiple apps from the same code, or I don't understand your question.

Bro you are not getting my question, i am not asking about different platform i am asking about building apk for same project for multiple clients but Some of the UI will change in that project.

consider one app like Facebook i want to build same project of Facebook with different login page for different clients

Ok, sorry. So I don't know how to do, my bad

@Artdems said:
    Ok, sorry. So I don't know how to do, my bad

It's OK Bro if you came to know about this please reply

Just to understand, you want a different view, or just different information for each user?

@Artdems said:
    Just to understand, you want a different view, or just different information for each user?

ya i have to maintain different Database but working should be same along with that login page is different for different clients.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I do this in one of my solutions. I have 2 iOS projects, each one represents a different app on the app store. When building a specific app I select the appropriate start up project, for example. They use the same source code but behave differently.

• lai0723lai0723 Member ✭✭

can i know how? I got 2 android app but eventually it compile as one

@lai0723 said:
    can i know how? I got 2 android app but eventually it compile as one

Did you not read the post immediately above yours?

• Saraswati_ChandraSaraswati_Chandra USMember ✭✭✭

Yes you can have this in xamarin.Forms application
    You can have your App1 and App2 using the same code base.

• hennehenne Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I think the missing phrase in this discussion is "reuse source code in different cross-platform apps". The easy way to do this is to create different "Shared Projects" (see the one project in your cross-platform solution), save them to a location that is more appropriate for library projects and add references to them in all your starting applications (all platforms) of your apps.

Furthermore a cross-platform NuGet-package realizes the same idea and leads to a more library-like solution.

And..
    All the code in your Shared Projects that uses third-party libs and NuGets makes it necessary that all your starting applications have to refer to this libs.

Sorry guys, i asked this question last year at that time i was a beginner , all of the sudden i am getting replies after 1 year. In this one year, i got answer and i have created apps. Thanks for your valuable reply guys.

@DarshanJS said:
    Sorry guys, i asked this question last year at that time i was a beginner , all of the sudden i am getting replies after 1 year. In this one year, i got answer and i have created apps. Thanks for your valuable reply guys.

Ah yes, in this case it was @lai0723 that replied to your 1 year old thread rather than starting his/her own. And they didn't read the other replies on this thread...

• S3CS3C Member ✭✭

@DarshanJS Could you perhaps give an indepth explanation of what is the best practise to do this.

• In my case I want to create 4 different mutliplatform apps, where all of them would share all the classes.
    • They would also share layout on all pages, except they should each use different StaticResource colors manually taken from client's logo. Logos are different, but I don't mind having them all named "logo.png".
    • Each of them should also make an API call to different domain but same-named file on each domain for login.
    • Also if possible, I would also have some pages that would be shown on 1 of the apps, but not the others.

Am I wanting to much?

This discussion has been closed.