Stable Channel (and VS 2017): 15.2.2 Service Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited May 30 in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-2-2/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

Update for May 30: This release is now available in the Xamarin updater channels and as part of the May 30th - version 15.2 (26430.12) update for Visual Studio 2017.

Fixes included in this release

All of the commonly seen issues as of May 17 have candidate fixes in this release, except Bug 56246.

Remaining common issues from May 17

• Bug 56246 [Mono, Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Mac] Tracking bug for upstream Roslyn issue 17934: "error MSB6006: "csc.exe" exited with code 1" due to KeyNotFoun when compiling projects that include async partial methods.
    • Temporary workaround: Please continue to use mcs and xbuild to avoid this scenario (see "Temporarily switching back to mcs and xbuild" on the blog post for additional details).

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "15.2 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

EDIT May 24: Specify statuses of commonly seen issues from May 17.
EDIT May 30: Update for Visual Studio 2017 version 15.2 (26430.12) availability.

• MmgMmg Muhamed AlGhzawi SAMember
    edited May 23

Couldn't install the update in my machine.

System info

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm Dirk Wilhelm USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski said:

This release is not yet available in Visual Studio 2017. The Xamarin changes have been integrated into the upstream Visual Studio 2017 packaging process,

Can't you push that update through the new Xamarin Updater for VS2017?

https://blog.xamarin.com/staying-date-visual-studio-2017-xamarin-updater/

• NealCulinerNealCuliner Neal Culiner USBeta ✭✭✭

Confirm the CSC (msbuild) issue is still NOT resolved and we need to leave the workaround in place for mcs in the csproj file? Please clearly identify what is fixed in those major blockers we got in the last round of updates with VS for Mac.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 24

Confirm the CSC (msbuild) issue is still NOT resolved

The public tracking bug for that issue (from the list of common issues) is Bug 56246. The current state of that bug is CONFIRMED. The version of Roslyn csc is the same in Mono 5.0.1.1 (from the 15.2.2 release) as in Mono 5.0.0.100 (from the 15.2 release).

• MatthewRMatthewR Matthew Rames USMember ✭✭
    edited May 24

@DirkWilhelm said:
    Can't you push that update through the new Xamarin Updater for VS2017?

https://blog.xamarin.com/staying-date-visual-studio-2017-xamarin-updater/

"Make sure you are running Visual Studio 2017 Preview 15.3 or later before installing this extension."

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Xamarin.XamarinUpdater

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm Dirk Wilhelm USMember ✭✭✭

@MatthewR

Interesting. The blog post i linked doesn't restrict the installation to VS2017 Preview 15.3

There is also this quote from the documentation at https://developer.xamarin.com/recipes/cross-platform/ide/change_updates_channel/extension-gallery/ :

The Xamarin Updater detects whether your IDE is a stable or Preview version. It will automatically configure the correct updates for your IDE: only Preview installs of Visual Studio will receive "Preview" updates.

So i am assuming here that the Xamarin Updater can update the xamarin stuff in a VS2017 stable version.

• MatthewRMatthewR Matthew Rames USMember ✭✭

I think that is just how it will work 15.3 forward.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

"Make sure you are running Visual Studio 2017 Preview 15.3 or later before installing this extension."

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Xamarin.XamarinUpdater

That extension page does indeed have the most accurate description for the Xamarin Updater at the moment. I will chat with the team about adjusting the blog post and documentation, and I'll also check with them on whether there are possibly ways the Xamarin Updater might be useful for this "15.2.2" release.

• SergioChavesSergioChaves Sergio Chaves USMember ✭✭
    edited May 24

@Mmg , after following tips from @BrendanZagaeski I was able to install the update. Remove the update files from %user%\appdata\local\monodevelop-4.0\cache\tempdownload and download them again.

• MmgMmg Muhamed AlGhzawi SAMember
    edited May 24

@SergioChaves said:
    @Mmg , after following tips from @BrendanZagaeski I was able to install the update. Remove the update files from %user%\appdata\local\monodevelop-4.0\cache\tempdownload and download them again.

Thank you, downloaded it again and it's installing now..

• ravl13ravl13 Robert Van Liew USMember

I am using VS2015, and VS2015 says I have version 10.10.0.35 for the iOS Xamarin version

but the updater always says I'm up to date!:

So I have a mismatch between iOS Xamarin on my Mac, which is 10.10.0.36, while the VS2015 on my Windows machine is stuck at 10.10.0.35. Please fix VS2015 update so that it can be applied to Visual Studio 2015.

So I have a mismatch between iOS Xamarin on my Mac, which is 10.10.0.36, while the VS2015 on my Windows machine is stuck at 10.10.0.35. Please fix VS2015 update so that it can be applied to Visual Studio 2015.

This is nothing to worry about in this case. That is the correct pairing of versions targeted for this release. So you're all set.

• ravl13ravl13 Robert Van Liew USMember
    edited May 24

@BrendanZagaeski said:

This is nothing to worry about in this case. That is the correct pairing of versions targeted for this release. So you're all set.

OK, Thanks Brendan!

• DarrellUKDarrellUK Darrell UK GBMember ✭✭

@Mmg said:
    Couldn't install the update in my machine.

System info

Same here...
    Tried clearing the old download and installing again.
    It crashes once it has calculated space (which takes ages) and then starts to install

• LuisCarlosPignataroLuisCarlosPignataro Luis Carlos Pignataro ARMember

Same here...
    Cleaning the tempcache folder, four times. Tree files are download, but msi file is corrupt.

• PaulWillies.7987PaulWillies.7987 Paul Willies USMember

Hi @BrendanZagaeski - Because of this bug, our build server is producing unusable Android builds. Where will I find a timeframe on this patch coming to VS 2017 on Windows? That will help me to determine whether to just build on a workstation or reinstall VS on the build server and keep it on an older version.
    Thanks!

• VelocityVelocity Matthew Richardson NZMember ✭✭✭

@PaulWillies.7987 said:
    Hi @BrendanZagaeski - Because of this bug, our build server is producing unusable Android builds. Where will I find a timeframe on this patch coming to VS 2017 on Windows? That will help me to determine whether to just build on a workstation or reinstall VS on the build server and keep it on an older version.
    Thanks!

+1

@BrendanZagaeski
    Downgrading the VS2017 installation to 15.0 isn't really a viable suggestion for many teams.
    Do you have an ETA on whether the 15.2.2 hot fix will be pushed out via the Xamarin Updater for VS2017?

• JohnWilson.4976JohnWilson.4976 John Wilson AUMember ✭✭

@DarrellUK and @LuisCarlosPignataro I had a similar issue at work where it took forever to do the space check and then refused to install. Turned out the sophos antivirus system they were using was a bit too aggressive and kept blocking/corrupting the installer file (but wouldn't report that that's what it was doing). It may help you to temporarily turn off yours (if you have one) during the download/install process?

• wend0rlinwend0rlin Hannes Shoe DEMember ✭✭

any news when the 15.2.2 release is ready for VS 2017?

• CarlAlbertCarlAlbert Carl Albert USUniversity ✭✭

After updating Xamarin for Visual Studio 4.5.0.476, debug builds do not deploy or execute in the VS Android emulator. I am using Visual Studio 2015, it just hangs forever, see below screen shot:

Additionally, I am now getting warnings: can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry), see below:
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [android-support-multidex.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [formsviewgroup.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [calendar.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [chartcore.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [core.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [flexgrid.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [flexpie.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    5>CREATEMULTIDEXMAINDEXCLASSLIST : warning : can't write resource [META-INF/MANIFEST.MF] (Duplicate zip entry [XuniInput.jar:META-INF/MANIFEST.MF])
    ========== Build: 5 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

• BrandonRisellBrandonRisell Brandon Risell USMember ✭✭

Since updating, I'm getting errors like this when building the iOS project and linking is enabled:

MTOUCH : error MT2001: Could not link assemblies.
        Method: `System.Void Name.Thing.View::.cctor()`
        Assembly: `Name.Thing, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null`
        Reason: Value cannot be null.

At first they were just errors from compiled xaml views. I disabled xaml compilation and now getting it on other files. I found this bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56281, which seems to be the same issue? Though others found success in disabling the xaml compiler, but that didn't work for us.

• JeffGonzalesJeffGonzales Jeff Gonzales USMember ✭✭

I upgraded to this version in attempts to solve my missing "Posix" DLL issue, but now breakpoints don't get hit while debugging in iOS. My build agent and Xcode are up to date as well. What can I try next?

• JeffGonzalesJeffGonzales Jeff Gonzales USMember ✭✭

It looks like switching debug to "portable" is helping (so far):

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56808#add_comment

This discussion has been closed.