Unable to change VS xcode location

varyamereonvaryamereon William BealUSMember ✭✭

Hello all, quick question...

I've booted up the mac, updated xcode and xamarin and am finding I can only connect with a yellow 'limited' connection in VS2017 on Windows. The error displayed is:

"Xcode couldn't be found at /Users/me/Downloads/Xcode-beta.app. Please specify the right location in Visual Studio under 'Tools > Options > Xamarin > iOS Settings' or ensure that it is installed properly at the default location ('/Applications/Xcode.app')".

In VS the field is blank as it should be and my Xcode is installed at the /Applications/Xcode.app on the mac. Have tried entering it manually into the box but no joy. Incidentally the downloads folder on the mac is empty, not sure whether I had an xcode-beta installed there once upon a time.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Many thanks

Will

Best Answer

• varyamereonvaryamereon William Beal USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Found the problem! It was not the location in VS on the PC that was the problem but rather Xamarin Studio on the Mac, it was looking for the iOS SDK in the wrong place. Updated this with the correct location of Xcode and now it's all working fine!

Answers

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri Shantimohan Elchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭

@varyamereon After updating Xcode, did you just run it once at least? After every update of Xcode you must just start it on Mac as that will install updated mobile components.

Also ensure that you are connected to Mac from Windows.

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Have run xcode after install and I am connected from the PC to the Mac but as I say with a limited connection. I get the impression VS is trying to look for xcode in the wrong place but I am unable to change it.

Thanks

Will
  • ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri Shantimohan Elchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭

Xcode is used for compiling the Xamarin.iOS app. Before that the connection between Mac & Windows must be GREEN. Are the Xamarin.iOS versions on both Mac & Windows same?

On PC it's 10.10.0.30 and Mac it's 10.10.0.33, both the latest versions out there. As mentioned the problem seems to be with VS looking for xcode in the wrong place.

Accepted Answer

Found the problem! It was not the location in VS on the PC that was the problem but rather Xamarin Studio on the Mac, it was looking for the iOS SDK in the wrong place. Updated this with the correct location of Xcode and now it's all working fine!