Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.247 update : project won't build

akadamakadam CAMember ✭✭

Hi,

I just updated Xamarin.Forms to version 2.3.4.247 as well as a couple of other packages, and I get this error, completely new for me:

...\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81+MonoAndroid10+Xamarin.iOS10+xamarinmac20\Xamarin.Forms.targets(68,4): error MSB4064: The "DebugType" parameter is not supported by the "XamlCTask" task. Verify the parameter exists on the task, and it is a settable public instance property.
...\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81+MonoAndroid10+Xamarin.iOS10+xamarinmac20\Xamarin.Forms.targets(62,3): error MSB4063: The "XamlCTask" task could not be initialized with its input parameters.

Any idea of possible cause of this error?

The project was initially working with Xamarin.Forms 2.3.1.114, it is a PCL project, not using XMAL.

Thank you.

• DaprinDaprin IDMember ✭✭

I have the same problem too... can anyone help us?

• AlbertoPuyanaAlbertoPuyana COMember ✭✭

Same problem here. My project do not have any XAML

• JakeAnsteyJakeAnstey USMember ✭✭

I was unable to run my app with the previous version of Xamarin.Forms, so I updated, and this error is showing up for me too.

• KInDosKInDos DEMember
    edited May 18

Same problem here. some one get a solution for this problem?

first help: downgrade Xamarin.Forms to 2.3.4.231 and it work again

• FropcornProductionFropcornProduction INMember

I'm also having the same problem. Please can anyone help me out ?

• akadamakadam CAMember ✭✭

Thank you all for you comments.

@Vaka.GopiNadhReddy
    @JakeAnstey

Checked that all the project reference Xamarin.Forms V 2.3.4.247

Deleted every bin and obj folders in every project.

Restarted Visual studio then try to rebuild

=> still getting the same error during PCL project compilation

I'll try now to downgrade Xamarin.Forms to previous versions and try again.

• tabooktabook USMember

I have PCL and try:
    - Downgrade to 2.3.4.231 version
    - Delete bin/obj folders inside

Nothing work for me, another action to do?

• davesekuladavesekula GBMember

Same here

It's only the release build for me that won't build.
    Debug builds fine, and runs on the emulator at least - not tested on a device yet

VS 2017 Enterprise

• akadamakadam CAMember ✭✭

@ChrisRzepa that fixed the issue for me, thank you :)

@JKay I didn't want to modify the .targets file but I understand now that it is safe to do so, thank you for the explaination !!

• renzskarenzska USMember ✭✭

Looks like they've patched it (hoping it's the same thing). Just have to wait for it to be released: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/commit/f01cf880403f649cf6d6ccc71d930eae646bc698

• nmdiasnmdias USMember ✭✭

@MarcoRinaldi said:
    Hello.
    Closing visual studio and deleting ALL "bin" and "obj" folders has solved the problem for me.
    I'm using a Shared Project.

Best regard,
    Marco

This did it for me. The issue was happening while developing in Android. However I did a quick build to iOS then came back to Android. It got resolved only after deleting "bin" and "obj" from both iOS and Android

• BernabeOviedoBernabeOviedo USMember

@Vaka.GopiNadhReddy said:
    @akadam

below steps work for me

step1:

you have to maintain same xamarin.forms version in pcl, android and ios.

step2:

delete the bin and obj files in pcl, android and ios. then rebuild the solution

Worked for me.

• ChristopherParker.0454ChristopherParker.0454 USMember ✭✭

Closing visual studio and deleting ALL "bin" and "obj" folders has solved the problem for me as well. Make sure you close all instances of VS. I have a habit of having 2-3 instances up at the same time!

Now if only I could get past the "The file "obj\Debug\android\bin\packaged_resources" does not exist." issue!

• MelbourneDeveloperMelbourneDeveloper AUMember ✭✭✭

I did a full git clean (i.e. delete all NuGet packages, bin, and obj folders) and the problem doesn't go away. I'm getting two errors and it has halted work.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error The "XamlCTask" task could not be initialized with its input parameters. Adapt.Presentation.Helpdesk.Android C:\AdaptSource\Xivic\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.247\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81+MonoAndroid10+Xamarin.iOS10+xamarinmac20\Xamarin.Forms.targets 62
    Error The "DebugType" parameter is not supported by the "XamlCTask" task. Verify the parameter exists on the task, and it is a settable public instance property. Adapt.Presentation.Helpdesk.Android C:\AdaptSource\Xivic\packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.247\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81+MonoAndroid10+Xamarin.iOS10+xamarinmac20\Xamarin.Forms.targets 68

• MelbourneDeveloperMelbourneDeveloper AUMember ✭✭✭

I wiped everything again, and did a Consolidate inside NuGet for the solution to make sure all my platforms have the same versions of Xamarin Forms etc. and I'm still getting this problem. Thanks Xamarin. Yet again, I find myself bashing my head against the wall just trying to get this stuff to compile.

• StavrosMenegosStavrosMenegos GRBeta, University ✭✭

After trying all the workarounds suggested in this thread, I believe that this is the one that works.

@JKay said:

@ChrisRzepa said:
    Restarting and rebuilding hasn't worked for me. I'm seeing this error on both PC and Mac versions of Visual Studio, running on code that I know compiled and ran without issue yesterday. I even tried deleting the entire project, pulling a fresh version of the master branch, uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio - still getting that error.

What did allow me to get past it temporarily was editing the Xamarin.Forms.targets file, which for me lived in:
    packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.247\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81+MonoAndroid10+Xamarin.iOS10+xamarinmac20
    and removed the DebugType = "$(DebugType)" line.

This obviously isn't a proper fix, though.

This is probably the only solution that will work.

My guess is that someone has compiled this package in a development environment and forgot to take their dev code out of the .targets file when publishing to nuget. This will probably only affect people who use XAMLC

my advise is to follow the steps outlined above and wait for an updated nuget to be released, which would replace the .targets file anyway, so no permanent damage

• AndrewMcCormackAndrewMcCormack USUniversity ✭✭

This worked.

What did allow me to get past it temporarily was editing the Xamarin.Forms.targets file, which for me lived in:
    packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.247\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81+MonoAndroid10+Xamarin.iOS10+xamarinmac20

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

There has been a fix checked into github for this issue:

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/commit/f01cf880403f649cf6d6ccc71d930eae646bc698

but is yet to be packaged for nuget. Probably in next build

• ChadMello.8181ChadMello.8181 USMember ✭✭

Well, removing the DebugType entry works for release iOS build, but not for debugging in simulator. "XamlCTask" task failed unexpectedly. I also deleted all bin and obj directories as well.

I gotta say... this xamarin thing has cost me probably close to $200k in lost production time over the last three years, not counting the costs of very expensive licensing up until recently. One thing after another, you just can't win with these guys. They're sloppy, and oftentimes unhelpful. Personally, I hope MS fires them all over time, and replaces them with competent people who actually know how to put together a PROFESSIONAL development environment.

• ChadMello.8181ChadMello.8181 USMember ✭✭

I went back over to using crappy xamarin studio. While it has a whole host of other annoying issues, I can at least compile and (for the most part) debug.

• BradMooreBradMoore AUMember ✭✭✭

Frustrating issue. Obliterating output paths didn't do the trick, but closing VS (macOS) and then deleting all bin/obj directories (I did a directory search of my entire source repo, so unsure if it found something other people were not when manually deleting) and then re-opened and archived for publishing (is all I needed to do) and it worked.

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited June 2

@Vaka.GopiNadhReddy Solution of keeping the same versions for Xamarin.Forms along all projects worked for me too.

• rocharocharocharocha USMember ✭✭

@RahulTripathi.1744 said:
    First Step : delete all bin/ obj folders
    Second : Restart VS

if problem not solved

open
    packages\Xamarin.Forms.2.3.4.247\build\portable-win+net45+wp80+win81+wpa81+MonoAndroid10+Xamarin.iOS10+xamarinmac20\Xamarin.Forms.targets

file remove blow lines

DebugType = "$(DebugType)"

Image Attached as below

works for me

• Murf66Murf66 AUMember ✭✭

I had to make sure that both iOS and Android apps in my project had the same version of Xamarin Forms to fix this.

• pallavboharapallavbohara USMember ✭✭
    edited June 5

I just renammed an Image in Resource folder in Android Project and i got this error. WTF!

But Restarting VS did the work for me.

• LRLin56LRLin56 TWMember

I rollback Xamarin.Forms to version 2.3.4.231, then the error is gone.

Waste too much time on it.

• akuzminskiakuzminski PLMember

Sometimes it helps me to change Solution Platform from Any CPU to x64 or x86, recompile project, and then back to Any CPU.

• RunarOvesenHjerpbakkRunarOvesenHjerpbakk NOUniversity ✭✭

Deleting my repo and re-cloning did the trick for me.

• SajidhzSajidhz USMember

@ChrisRzepa said:
    Restarting and rebuilding hasn't worked for me. I'm seeing this error on both PC and Mac versions of Visual Studio, running on code that I know compiled and ran without issue yesterday. I even tried deleting the entire project, pulling a fresh version of the master branch, uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio - still getting that error.

This obviously isn't a proper fix, though.

this worked thanks ,
    what i did was Deleted the obj and the bin folder and then removed the line above clean - > build
    everything worked fine and then re added the line above :)

• NTL_DevNTL_Dev USMember ✭✭✭

In my case:
    1. Uninstall Xamarin.Forms
    2. Restart VS
    3. Install Xamarin.Forms.
    4. Build and Work

• JakodevJakodev ITMember

I had the same issue too, In my case I have had updated only the App.Android assembly, forgetting the PCL's one.. my bad

• new2Xamarinnew2Xamarin USMember

Updating Visual Studio (for Mac) to latest build ( Version 7.0.1 (build 24)) solved the issue for me.
    I hope it helps.