Storyboard editor doesn't work in VS 2017?

IvanIcinIvanIcin USMember ✭✭✭

I have a proper connection to the Mac, the app can compile with it. But when I open the storyboard I only get grey page that stays forever like that. If I go out to another tab in VS and come back it says "The iOS Designer requires an active connection to a Mac server. Please connect to a Mac to enable the designer.", however connection is available all the time.

I have tried to open the project in VS2015 to edit this, but there I get this error:
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The returned remote SDK entries are invalid
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IosSdkTarget.InitializeLocalFileStore()
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IosSdkTarget..ctor(Version xcodeVersion, DataPackEntry[] datapack, String storeDirectory)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__257.MoveNext()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.<>c__DisplayClass256_01.<EnsureSession>b__0() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__175.MoveNext()
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__175.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__174.MoveNext()
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__174.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__170.MoveNext()
at MonoTouch.Design.Tasks.d__1.MoveNext()
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__169.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.InvalidOperationException: The returned remote SDK entries are invalid
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IosSdkTarget..ctor(Version xcodeVersion, DataPackEntry[] datapack, String storeDirectory)
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__257.MoveNext()<---

Contents of C:\Users\ivani\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Logs\14.0\iOSDesigner-13188.2017-05-15__21-33-47.log:
MDAddinsHash: 1363a8d943bab7700c93a97474060b6734aa7f94

[2017-05-15 21:38:50.4] INFO: Starting full reload...
[2017-05-15 21:38:50.6] INFO: Reloading: Serialization took 0ms
[2017-05-15 21:40:11.6] INFO: Reloading: Deserialization took 42ms
[2017-05-15 21:40:11.6] INFO: Reloading: Server rendering completed in 81008ms with 46015 bytes
[2017-05-15 21:40:11.8] ERROR: EnsureSession (counter 1): System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The returned remote SDK entries are invalid
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__257.MoveNext()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.InvalidOperationException: The returned remote SDK entries are invalid
at MonoTouch.Design.Client.IPhoneDesignerSession.d__257.MoveNext()<---

Is there something I can do regarding this?

Best Answer

• IvanIcinIvanIcin US ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

This works for me now, though it is still complicated. In general even if you are connected to Mac if you get the message that you are not you should click Connect to Mac in designer and it should work.

Answers

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@Ivanicin,

Make sure that your Mac is up-to-date with the latest Xamarin tools as well. Then, be sure to update Xcode to 8.3.

• IvanIcinIvanIcin USMember ✭✭✭

Mac is fine. I have installed latest Visual Studio few days ago and Xcode is 8.3 a long time ago.

• HasanAhmedHasanAhmed USMember ✭✭

have you solved this problem? because I'm also facing this issue

• IvanIcinIvanIcin USMember ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

This works for me now, though it is still complicated. In general even if you are connected to Mac if you get the message that you are not you should click Connect to Mac in designer and it should work.

• AssegdAssegd Member ✭✭✭

I am having the same problem

• VS is connected to mac
    • i keep disconnecting and connecting the mac
    • still i can not see the ios designer

Can anyone please let me know what to do, am frastrating with this thing

• PhilSeemanPhilSeeman USMember ✭✭

What solved this for me was to install this updated version (5.10.1.57) of Mono on my Mac. See this issue in Github for more details.