Xamarin Live Player: Any Luck?

renzskarenzska John RennemeyerUSMember ✭✭

I'm super excited to use the Xamarin Live Player, but I've been trying to get the Xamarin Live Player working and have had no luck. I've installed the following:

• Visual Studio for Mac Alpha Release
  • Xamarin Live Player both on an Android device and an iOS device.

On the Android device, I choose the Live Player Device and then scan the barcode and nothing happens. Both devices are on the same network.
On the iOS device, I don't even get the choice of connecting to a Live Player Device.

Anyone have any luck using the Xamarin Live Player or tips on how to get it working?

• renzskarenzska John Rennemeyer USMember ✭✭

I'm currently installing the Visual Studio 2017 15.3 Preview on Windows to see if I have any luck there.

As an FYI, to get the iOS Xamarin Live Player installed, I had to search in the app store for Xamarin, then click on Xamarin Evolve and then click the option to see other apps by the developer. I couldn't find it by searching or clicking on the link from www.xamarin.com/live.

• DavidDunscombeDavidDunscombe David Dunscombe GBMember ✭✭

Same issue (on VS2017 Preview), tried both the qrcode and entering the 6 digit code. I guess its not working at the moment.

• PhilippTischhauserPhilippTischhauser Philipp Tischhauser USMember

Is it known, what ports are used for the player? I have the same problem, can't connect to the device with both options!

• MichaelDawMichaelDaw Michael Daw CAUniversity

I also have not been able to connect using the 15.3 preview and Live Player App (android or iOS). Tried the QR Code and the entry code. Haven't tried VS on mac, but it sounds like it doesn't work on any platforms. Has anyone got it to work?

• ScottScottScottScott Scott Ngan NZMember ✭✭
    edited May 11

I got my app connected by using my phone as a hotspot (wouldn't work on a tightly secured network or on a windows ad-hoc network)

It managed to connect after giving it some time, but I received an Uncaught Exception when running:

Cannot call method 'RegisterCallback' on incorrectly constructed interpreted object (NInterpretException)

I just tried on Visual Studio Preview 15.3 on Windows and got it to connect to my device, but when I click "Start Without Debugging" I get the exception in the Error List:

"Severity   Code    Description Project File    Line    Suppression State
    Error       There was an unhandled exception trying to deploy and run your application. \nSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchDevice.GetSimulator() in C:\d\lanes\4856\33bfa206\source\XamarinVS\src\Core\VisualStudio.IOS\Devices\MonoTouchDevice.cs:line 99
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchDevice.StartApplication(MonoTouchRunSessionInfo runSessionInfo, IProgressReport progress, Boolean debugging, Int32 debugPort) in C:\d\lanes\4856\33bfa206\source\XamarinVS\src\Core\VisualStudio.IOS\Devices\MonoTouchDevice.cs:line 289
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.RunApplication(MonoTouchDevice device, IProgressReport progress) in C:\d\lanes\4856\33bfa206\source\XamarinVS\src\Core\VisualStudio.IOS\ProjectSystem\MonoTouchFlavoredProject.cs:line 898
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugLaunch(__VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch, IProgressReport& progress) in C:\d\lanes\4856\33bfa206\source\XamarinVS\src\Core\VisualStudio.IOS\ProjectSystem\MonoTouchFlavoredProject.cs:line 776
       at Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.MonoTouchFlavoredProject.DebugLaunch(__VSDBGLAUNCHFLAGS grfLaunch) in C:\d\lanes\4856\33bfa206\source\XamarinVS\src\Core\VisualStudio.IOS\ProjectSystem\MonoTouchFlavoredProject.cs:line 658         0   
    "

The "Start Debugging" option acts like it is going to load and then immediately stops after switching to the debug view and then back.

I don't have the option for Tools -> Xamarin Live Player -> Live Run Current View.

• adhikari18adhikari18 Ashok Adhikari USMember
    edited May 12

I tried on VS 15.3. I was able to connect to VS from Xamarin Live app for both Android and iPhone but after that, it throws build errors on both platforms. I can deploy the same exact code to an Android phone using USB without any issue.

• lvitalvita Luis Vita USMember
    edited May 12

I haven't been lucky either, I could get the QR by clicking on Tools > Manage Devices...

The menu "Xamarin Live Player (iOS and Android)" is disabled.

It doesn't show up in the list of devices and I see a lot of "Connection reset by peer (SocketException)" in the device logs.

• RSHRSH Ryan Herman USUniversity ✭✭

I got it working on VS 2017 15.3, make sure you download the Xamarin Updater Extension then restart and update Xamarin. I was able to run the sample projects just fine but not my Xamarin.Forms. It has issues with custom renderers.

• rocketbobrocketbob Bob Japundza USMember ✭✭

No bueno for me too. Same problems as previously mentioned here.

• TomGilderTomGilder Tom Gilder GB ✭✭

The "Color Control" sample works for me on VS for Mac.

None of the other samples work, nor does a brand-new Xamarin.Forms app. I keep getting "ModelNotImplementedException".

Now connected this morning, however I also have the ModelNotImplementedException on the calculator app, a new app does work for me though and it does deploy very fast, I can see myself using this if they fix up the issues.

• HortinzHortinz Nuno Horta GBMember ✭✭

Does any one knows if this is one of those tools that is available for everyone while on alpha/beta and then they release a stable version changing it for enterprise accounts only?

It only appears to work with shared projects from my quick testing.

• MattBrady.1038MattBrady.1038 Matt Brady USMember

App runs fine in the normal environment. The errors it's complaining about are coming from the .iOS project. The interfaces it can't find are defined in the Portable class.

• rseostarrseostar Robert Strand USUniversity ✭✭

Not working to well for me, and it seems to have taken the iOS Designer out as well.

Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingCommands{System.String}|Information|0|Server directory //Mac/Home/Documents/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Agents/Designer/agent-def084d4e356b83008f8018fe443ae86a09c6fbe doesn't exist, hence the checksum can't be verified
    Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingCommands{System.String}|Information|0|Server directory //Mac/Home/Documents/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Agents/Designer/agent-def084d4e356b83008f8018fe443ae86a09c6fbe doesn't exist, hence the checksum can't be verified
    Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommandRunner|Warning|0|Failed to execute 'mkdir -p "//Mac/Home/Documents/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Agents/Designer/agent-def084d4e356b83008f8018fe443ae86a09c6fbe"': ExitStatus = 1
    Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommandRunner|Warning|0|mkdir: //Mac/Home/Documents/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Agents/Designer/agent-def084d4e356b83008f8018fe443ae86a09c6fbe: Permission denied

Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingCommands{System.String}|Error|0|An error occurred while trying to install C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\PREVIEW\ENTERPRISE\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\XAMARIN.VISUALSTUDIO\agent-def084d4e356b83008f8018fe443ae86a09c6fbe.zip in //Mac/Home/Documents/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Agents/Designer/agent-def084d4e356b83008f8018fe443ae86a09c6fbe
    Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.Exceptions.SshCommandException: mkdir: //Mac/Home/Documents/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Agents/Designer/agent-def084d4e356b83008f8018fe443ae86a09c6fbe: Permission denied

at Renci.SshNet.SshCommandExtensions.ThrowIfError(SshCommand command) in C:\Git\XVS\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh\Extensions\SshCommandExtensions.cs:line 32
    at Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommands.d__7.MoveNext() in C:\Git\XVS\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh\SshCommands.cs:line 47
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable1.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult() at Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.SshCommands.<CreateDirectoryAsync>d__18.MoveNext() in C:\Git\XVS\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh\SshCommands.cs:line 155 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult() at Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingCommands1.d__16.MoveNext() in C:\Git\XVS\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh\MessagingCommands.cs:line 287
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
    at Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh.MessagingCommands`1.d__6.MoveNext() in C:\Git\XVS\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Ssh\MessagingCommands.cs:line 50

• HowardPinsleyHowardPinsley Howard Pinsley USMember

I initially had trouble getting the Player App to pair with VS for Mac. I had some VPN software running and had to shut that down. However, none of the samples seem to work. The Player says it is running the app but the screen is just blank (dark).

• ChrisAnderson.0966ChrisAnderson.0966 Chris Anderson USMember ✭✭

@DavidDunscombe said:
    Now connected this morning, however I also have the ModelNotImplementedException on the calculator app, a new app does work for me though and it does deploy very fast, I can see myself using this if they fix up the issues.

I'm having the exact same problem. I was able to link my phone and my laptop without a problem. Happened really quickly. But I'm getting the same ModelNotImplementedException.

I haven't tried any sample apps, just a blank app and a blank Master/Detail page app. Both of them running the latest preview Visual Studio 2017 for Windows.

Kinda disappointed this isn't working right after the announcement.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno James Montemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

We are tracking these issues in bugzilla: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/buglist.cgi?classification=Xamarin&amp;list_id=282962&amp;product=Live player preview

Many are already fixed up and a few like the ModelNotImplemented was caught after submission was already complete, but a new version has already been submitted.

I am also actively responding to hockeyapp feedback.

My recommendation is to try out shared project right now until the next app update.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno James Montemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

We will also be creating a sub-forum for the Live Player soon and I will move this thread over there.

• AlexSAlexS Alex Sorokoletov USUniversity ✭✭

I got player connected but both iOS and Android apps did not run.
    Project should be less than 4194304 bytes, but is 16234716 bytes.

Hope this limitation will be either lifter or improved soon.

• AdamHillAdamHill Adam Hill USBeta ✭✭

I too am not seeing the Live Player option in the devices dropdown either.

My situation is it does not show up on iOS but does show up if I switch to Android builds. Normal deployment to devices on either OS's work fine.

This is a new VS Mac install (no betas or RC's have been installed on this OS), switched to the Alpha channel.

• VenkataramanaVenkataramana Venkataramana Madugula USUniversity

I've used Visual Studio for Mac Alpha Release and it worked for perfectly fine for me with one this particular downloadable sample
    <https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/live/samples/>

@AdamHill said:
    I too am not seeing the Live Player option in the devices dropdown either.

My situation is it does not show up on iOS but does show up if I switch to Android builds. Normal deployment to devices on either OS's work fine.

This is a new VS Mac install (no betas or RC's have been installed on this OS), switched to the Alpha channel.

It didn't show up for me as well for the first time.
    Did you change your settings to Alpha Release ?
    Take a look at this link for the same ( https://developer.xamarin.com/recipes/cross-platform/ide/change_updates_channel/#xamarinstudio )

@ChrisAnderson.0966 said:

@DavidDunscombe said:

I'm having the exact same problem. I was able to link my phone and my laptop without a problem. Happened really quickly. But I'm getting the same ModelNotImplementedException.

I haven't tried any sample apps, just a blank app and a blank Master/Detail page app. Both of them running the latest preview Visual Studio 2017 for Windows.

Kinda disappointed this isn't working right after the announcement.

I've tried with this sample and it worked perfectly fine for me.
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/live/samples/#colorcontrol

You may want to try out the same ?

@DavidDunscombe said:

Hello Even i've faced the same issue when tried running the calculator App.
    I was kind of disappointed.
    But didn't stop , tried with this sample
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/live/samples/#colorcontrol
    and it worked amazingly cool for me.

Checkout my samples from Build here: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/95400/

• MarcoTronconeMarcoTroncone Marco Troncone GBUniversity ✭✭

I was really excited to try it but the results were awful. 99.9% didn't work and only once I was able so see a black screen on my Android with the name of the project and no more than this. I really understand that this is a preview but come on, this simply doesn't work at all

• bernikabernika Bernhard Straub USMember ✭✭

@lvita said:
    I haven't been lucky either, I could get the QR by clicking on Tools > Manage Devices...
    It doesn't show up in the list of devices ..

Same issue here on iPhone or iPad. Liver Player app says connected but no LP device selectable in list of devices

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy Chris Hardy GBXamarin Team Xamurai

@lvita @bernika @AdamHill @renzska et. al.

For the issue with not being able to see the device listed in Visual Studio for Mac once connected, there's a link to a fix for this issue on the bug here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56292 - please give it a go and see if that resolves the issue for what you're seeing there.

@ChrisHardy, I installed the preview version from that bug and I can now see my device in the Live Players list in Visual Studio for Mac after connecting it with the mobile app. However, it immediately shows an error message:

Error while trying to deploy to John’s iPhone Player.
    Ensure that Xamarin Player app is running on device.

Error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Here are the logs:

Error:: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ERROR [2017-05-15 20:01:44Z]: Inspector support requires this project's Linker Behavior to be set to "Don't Link"
    PLAYER PlayerProjectModelExtension: OnExecute
    PLAYER PlayerProjectModelExtension: OnExecuteCommand
    Start (TestApp.iOS, John's iPhone Player, )
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.GetItemFile (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildItem item) [0x0012c] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.CollectItem (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildItem item) [0x00001] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.CollectProject (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project) [0x0015c] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.GetItemFile (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildItem item) [0x000b7] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.GetItemFile (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildItem item) [0x0012c] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.CollectItem (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildItem item) [0x00001] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.CollectProject (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project) [0x0015c] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.GetItemFile (Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildItem item) [0x000b7] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.Collect () [0x00018] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.XamarinStudioDeployer.CollectFiles (Xamarin.Player.Remote.StartupInfo info) [0x00014] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.DeviceDeployer+<Start>d__25.MoveNext () [0x000c3] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
    Alert: Error while trying to deploy to John's iPhone Player.

Error:: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I'm going to try changing the settings of my debug build based on this line from the logs:

ERROR [2017-05-15 20:01:44Z]: Inspector support requires this project's Linker Behavior to be set to "Don't Link"

John

I changed the setting to 'Don't Link' and it still errored out with the following logs:

PLAYER PlayerProjectModelExtension: OnExecute
    PLAYER PlayerProjectModelExtension: OnExecuteCommand
    Start (TestApp.iOS, John's iPhone Player, )
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.MSBuildCollector.Collect () [0x00018] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.XamarinStudioDeployer.CollectFiles (Xamarin.Player.Remote.StartupInfo info) [0x00014] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
      at Xamarin.Player.Remote.DeviceDeployer+<Start>d__25.MoveNext () [0x000c3] in <eb9f5dd9b0e449179a1955296fcf4097>:0 
    Alert: Error while trying to deploy to John's iPhone Player.

edited May 16

More testing with the Preview Build:

My iPhone Live Player is showing now in all scenarios.

• The app I'm building errors out as mentioned in the previous posts.

• A new Xamarin Forms w/ PCL Project builds and tries to load on my iPhone, but shows a notification with the ModelNotImplemented Exception.

• A new Xamarin Forms w/ Shared Project builds and loads on my iPhone successfully. Live Run Current View works great with the Shared project as well.

It looks like the PCL project with ModelNotImplemented Exception fix will depend on an update to the Xamarin Live Player app (I'm testing on iOS) that is forthcoming via @JamesMontemagno previous post.

• BernabeOviedoBernabeOviedo Bernabe Oviedo USMember
    edited May 16

Live player option not showing for me neither for a PCL project Android/iOS. I've installed VS 2017 Preview and Xamarin Updater.

• bernikabernika Bernhard Straub USMember ✭✭

@ChrisHardy said:
    @lvita @bernika @AdamHill @renzska et. al.

For the issue with not being able to see the device listed in Visual Studio for Mac once connected, there's a link to a fix for this issue on the bug here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56292 - please give it a go and see if that resolves the issue for what you're seeing there.

I can confirm that the release for bug 56292 solves the issue!

@renzska said:
    More testing with the Preview Build:

My iPhone Live Player is showing now in all scenarios.

• The app I'm building errors out as mentioned in the previous posts.

Hey John,

Is it possible to share with us the TestApp that you're running here - it might be OK to just share us the csproj file but the whole project would be a treat if possible. You can create a new bug on Bugzilla https://aka.ms/live-player-report-issue - mark it as private - and share the code through there if that's OK with you?

Thanks,

ChrisNTR

If the forthcoming update to the Xamarin Live Player on iOS does not resolve the issue, I will submit a private bug as mentioned above. Thanks!

@renzska said:
    If the forthcoming update to the Xamarin Live Player on iOS does not resolve the issue, I will submit a private bug as mentioned above. Thanks!

This is IDE tooling side that's causing the error (we actually just added a few more checks to make sure it doesn't crash like this when things are null) but still trying to work out what would cause things to be null in the first place so the update for the Live Player on iOS won't resolve this problem (it would resolve the ModelNotImplemented error however). So the sooner we can repro the issue here, the sooner we can get it truly fixed!

@ChrisHardy, Submitted, 56528. Let me know if there are any issues with the project.

• AW.0531AW.0531 AW USMember
    edited May 19

Hi All,

I have updated my VS 2017 Enterprise edition for Windows 10 to the latest update and installed the Xamarin updater, yet when I start a new Xamarin.forms shared project I don't see the option to select Xamarin Live Player on the menu under Tools, or in the list of Devices on VS 2017. I am puzzled. Anyway I am super hyped to use the Live Player.