Profiler on Windows has some issues

KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

Using the latest version of everything. I'm trying to use the profiler on the Windows Side. It works on my Mac, no problems. I set the snapshots to happen every five seconds, they happen every five seconds. It keeps on profiling and has a good connection to the simulator or physical device.

On the Windows side through VS 2017 (in Parallels), is seems I have to exercise the app for a snapshot to happen and they don't occur every five seconds, sometimes they do but it is inconsistent. Then after a minute or so (but not alwyas) it usually seems to just loose connection with the device / simulator and no further instrumentation is given. I'm starting to think my 13" MBP doesn't have the horsepower it needs and the Windows Profiler isn't handling the Windows CPU being under heavy load and lag to the simulator/physical device and just drops the connection and profiling stops. Perhaps a warning message could be displayed if the machine's performance is such that it is impacting the profiler.

Mac version of profiler: 1.5.4-19
Windows version of profiler:1.5.4.19

Finally when clicking into a snapshot it works fine on the Windows side but crashes the iOS profiler.

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

hmm, those disconnection problems remind me of old XamarinVS versions installed, so what's the XVS version you have installed?

In any case, please share the Profiler log (Help->Open log directory), since that should contain a bit more info about the problem.

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

Attached is a screen shot with the version. Here are some logs. It appears the issue is instability in the connection between Windows in Parallels and the Mac host. All on the same machine.

@RodrigoMoya
    Also here is the log of the crash in the Mac Profiler when clicking on the an item in a shapshot to get details (need to click twice before profiler crashes).

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

hmm, one of the logs shows this: XamarinProfiler.Windows.ViewModels.ProgressReport.ReportViewModel Error: 0 : [2017-05-10 21:24:52.8409] error occured on run PerfTest.iOS.app error HE0046: Failed to install the app 'com.magnic.perftest' on the device 'iOS 10.3 (14E269) - iPhone 6': Invalid device state so, are you able to run (not profile, just start from the IDE) that app from VS?

About the disconnection problems, do you have your Mac up-to-date to the same channel than on your Windows machine? Sometimes different versions might make the ProfilerAgent (the app that runs and profiles the app on your Mac) crash. And, talking about that agent, since this involves the Mac, can you have another try and provide me the ProfilerAgent log (it should be in ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin-99)? Since this seems to be about that agent crashing, that log should, hopefully, give us some more clue

@RodrigoMoya Everything is up to date and on the stable channel. Everything is the same version. The disconnect is not repeatable in a way where it happens at a particular time. The largest factor in the stability of the profiling session appears to be how much load the machine is under. The larger the load, the more likely it is for the profiling session to drop.