Stable Channel (VS 2017): 15.2 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited May 23 in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-2/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

This release is now available in the Xamarin updater channels and as part of the May 10 - version 15.2 update for Visual Studio 2017.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "15.2 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • You can also check the list of issues reported by users so far for the 15.2 Stable channel versions to see if any match. If you find a match, feel free to CC yourself on the bug report as a way to tally your interest in the bug:

Xamarin "15.2" user-submitted bugs list

(If you have reported an issue that is specific to the latest 15.2 release but is not yet included in the list, the bug might not have been filed using the "15.2 Release" new bug form. Those bugs will be added to the 15.2 list as they are reviewed by the team.)

• Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

Commonly seen issues related to the 15.2 release being tracked by the Xamarin team as of May 15

A release blog entry is now posted with an in-progress list of some of the top issues being tracked by the Xamarin team related to the Xamarin 15.2 release. See the post for additional details:

EDIT May 15: Add a list of commonly seen issues for the 15.2 release so far as well as information about the switch from mcs to csc.
EDIT May 16: Update wording for Bug 56213 to mention alternate symptom involving breakpoints on device.
EDIT May 17: Move the details about the list of commonly seen issues onto the release blog for visibility and tidiness.
EDIT May 18: Restore the Release Blog links now that the release blog is back up.
EDIT May 23: Adjust title for latest release.

• HuwwHuww Weiwen Hu CNMember

I have trouble installing the VS for Mac. After I open the installer, it only tell me that I don't have Internet connection. But I do have! I am from China.

• neodreyneodrey adrian millena PHMember ✭✭
    edited May 11

I have 1 error after installed new updates, :(

Error: Compiler crashed with code: 1.

File:
    Microsoft.CSharp.targets

Path:
    /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.0.0/lib/mono/xbuild/14.0/bin/Microsoft.CSharp.targets:

Here's some details of my Xamarin Studio

Xamarin Studio Community
    Version 6.3 (build 863)
    Installation UUID: 3f3cba4e-16e9-4785-9c10-22482c51caed
    Runtime:
    Mono 5.0.0.100 (2017-02/9667aa6) (64-bit)
    GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

Package version: 500000100

NuGet
    Version: 3.5.0.0

Xamarin.Profiler
    Version: 1.5.4
    Location: /Applications/Xamarin Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Xamarin Profiler

Apple Developer Tools
    Xcode 8.3 (12169)
    Build 8E162

Xamarin.Mac
    Version: 3.4.0.33 (Xamarin Studio Community)

Xamarin.iOS
    Version: 10.10.0.33 (Xamarin Studio Community)
    Hash: 3e5ac5ff
    Branch: d15-2
    Build date: 2017-05-05 18:11:38-0400

• DanChristoffersenDanChristoffersen Dan Christoffersen USMember

I can confirm the compile error neodrey gets. I get it too.

Switching to .Net Runtime 4.8.1 and the project compiles fine.

• MatthewBlottMatthewBlott Matthew Blott GBMember

There's some confusing stuff going on with these releases. I'm on the stable channel and am prompted to install MDK 5.0.0.100 which sounds like the next big release of Mono. I checked the Mono page as soon as I saw this and the latest release was still 4.8.1.0. That was a couple of days ago and remains the case. I was already hit with a problem when I had VS for Mac installed and it installed an alpha version of the Mono framework against my wishes. I lost half a day sorting things out.

• neodreyneodrey adrian millena PHMember ✭✭
    edited May 11

@DanChristoffersen said:
    I can confirm the compile error neodrey gets. I get it too.

Switching to .Net Runtime 4.8.1 and the project compiles fine.

Yes! It's working! I Switched runtime to Mono 4.8.1 too
    Go to Project>Active Runtime> Mono 4.8.1

• HavrHavr Hugo Ranito USMember ✭✭
    edited May 11

After updating Xamarin Studio to stable-release-15-2 our apps built with Xamarin Forms became very slow, with a horrible performance. It is more visible in the Android version but in the iOS version it also gets worse.

We had to downgrade the app in the play store to a build before we updated.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

• DavideVostiDavideVosti Davide Vosti CHUniversity

Like rubo said, each xamarin update has problems... Please consider more stability over pushing out new stuff

• DaveUDaveU David Underwood GBMember ✭✭

@Havr I had the same, very slow after upgrading. I've just downgraded to 4.4.0.34 and it's back to normal

• NMackayNMackay Norman Mackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmm

It's disappointing such major issues are still appearing in these stable builds.

Cycle8 broke HTTPS badly (granted they fixed it quickly once they understood the issue in mono)
    Cycle9 broke debugging

You really need to wait for a couple of service packs before jumping into these new cycle releases.

• JohnHairJohnHair John Hair GBMember ✭✭✭✭
    For the past 4 years I have *never* taken a new stable release, I always wait until it's several service packs in and the noise has died down. I'm not trying to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but I just can't afford the time installing and having to rollback to the exact version I was using previously.
  • ruborubo Ruben Buniatyan USMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski Could you guys make the previous version (15.1) available to download for Visual Studio 2017, please? I don't want to downgrade entire Visual Studio just for that. It's way easier to install Xamarin extensions separately. So please make .vsix versions available since judging by your reaction (or absence of it), those blocker bugs are not gonna be addressed anytime soon. I'm stuck with all my projects!

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Could you guys make the previous version (15.1) available to download for Visual Studio 2017

Unfortunately, the Visual Studio Servicing rules currently only allow either (a) staying on the RTW version (15.0), or (b) taking the latest update (15.1, 15.2, etc.).

If you'd be interested to see a feature added for the Xamarin extensions in particular that would allow mixing a different older version of Xamarin with a newer version of Visual Studio 2017, I would recommend adding a feedback item and voting on it on https://xamarin.uservoice.com/. Thanks!

your reaction (or absence of it)

The individual Bugzilla bugs are the best place to watch for updates on the issues since that is where the engineers for each specific product will be able to offer detailed feedback. Thanks!

• ruborubo Ruben Buniatyan USMember ✭✭

Unfortunately, the Visual Studio Servicing rules currently only allow either...

Thank you for the info. I didn't know that. That's sad.

The individual Bugzilla bugs are the best place to watch for updates on the issues

That's exactly what I mean (I didn't mean your personal reaction :)). Killing silence so far on the majority of issues.

• 15mgm1515mgm15 Mario Galvan USMember ✭✭✭

I am not sure about the reason of this and if anyone has the same issue but since I updated to visual studio and compiling to Android (Using Xamarin.Android) my application started to have UI Thread blocking issues (specially on page transitions) weird thing because this was not happening with the last version.

Some notes:

• The compilation is being done using a real device (Moto G4 with Android 7)
    • The issue is presented using both XS and VS for mac
    • The issue is not presented on Android versions lower than 7.0
    • The issue is not presented using a Samsung galaxy with android 7.0 emulator

besides that my break points are not being hit using Xamarin Studio :neutral:

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 13

Unfortunately, the Visual Studio Servicing rules currently only allow either (a) staying on the RTW version (15.0), or (b) taking the latest update (15.1, 15.2, etc.).

I should also mention quickly that the download for Visual Studio 2017 RTW version 15.0 is available on My.VisualStudio.com using either an MSDN subscription or a Dev Essentials account, and the matching older Mac packages for Xamarin are listed on the release blog post.

• JulianRadowskyJulianRadowsky Julian Radowsky USMember

The latest "stable" release 4.5.0.443 has effectively crippled me.
    Totally unable to compile without 'Build error: "Unable to copy file ... " / "Could not copy ..."' error every time.
    Given up, reverting to release 4.4.0.34

• HalilDoganBolakHalilDoganBolak Halil Dogan Bolak USMember ✭✭

@JulianRadowsky Can you tell me how you reverted to release 4.4.0.34 ? I have exactly the same problem and I really need to complete an app rather quickly.

• chuckctichuckcti Chuck Wiggins USMember ✭✭
    edited May 16

There are links on this page for the previous release versions and instructions- under the section "Previous Versions for Visual Studio 2015 or Mac-only". I'm just starting the process of reverting, so can speak as to how "easy" it is.

https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-2/

None of the Windows options have Visual Studio in their dropdowns.

The labels in the drop-downs show only the version numbers. The Xamarin.VisualStudio 4.4.0.34 .msi file is linked to the to 4.4 - Apr 6, 2017 item under the Windows drop-downs for either Xamarin.iOS or Xamarin.Android (it's the same link for both drop-down menus).

Note that the Xamarin.VisualStudio .msi is only applicable for Visual Studio 2015 and lower. For Visual Studio 2017, the steps are a bit different as mentioned on the release blog post.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger Fredy Wenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

JohnHair

For the past 4 years I have never taken a new stable release, I always wait until it's several service packs in and the noise has died down. I'm not trying to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but I just can't afford the time installing and having to rollback to the exact version I was using previously.

That's principally correct... but.. as Xamarin does not test new versions as needed.. and... if all users would think this way... where do you think you would be able to "read the noise"... hmmm :sunglasses:

• JohnHairJohnHair John Hair GBMember ✭✭✭✭

@FredyWenger and that sir, is exactly the problem with Xamarin's releases. And this isn't a new problem, I adopted this strategy to protect my development environment over 4 years ago. Im glad I still follow this strategy.

@BrendanZagaeski - after downgrading to 4.4.0.34 on Visual Studio 2015, how can I downgrade the Visual Studio for Mac that I replaced the Xamarin Studio with to sync and operate with 4.4.0.34 on Windows ?

How can I downgrade the Visual Studio for Mac that I replaced the Xamarin Studio with to sync and operate with 4.4.0.34 on Windows

If you only use the Mac for Xamarin.iOS builds and don't need the IDE on the Mac, then it would be sufficient to download and install just the Mono MDK and Xamarin.iOS package versions listed at the bottom of the release blog post:

https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-2/

As mentioned in the instructions linked there, you can just install those packages "over" the new versions to downgrade. (It isn't necessary to delete the newer version beforehand.)

If you also sometimes do development work directly on the Mac or use Xamarin.Mac, you can also install the older versions of Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.Mac, Xamarin Studio, and the Profiler as needed. Note that depending on how you updated, you might still have Xamarin Studio installed in your Applications folder alongside Visual Studio for Mac. Those 2 application bundles don't directly conflict with each other, but Visual Studio for Mac won't be able to start up when using Mono 4.8.

@BrendanZagaeski thank you for a very quick response. I will be downloading and downgrading these packages on the Mac allowing me just to use the Xamarin Studio as the IDE. That is fine. I will use the Visual Studio for Mac somewhere along the line.

• DH80DH80 Darren Haligas USMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski is there a 15.1 installer? this linker issue has crippled my builds. This is unacceptable that this was released.

is there a 15.1 installer?

The up-to-date information for older versions of Visual Studio 2017 is mentioned in a couple comments above:

The download for Visual Studio 2017 RTW version 15.0 is available on My.VisualStudio.com using either an MSDN subscription or a Dev Essentials account, and the matching older Mac packages for Xamarin are listed on the release blog post.

And:

If you'd be interested to see a feature added for the Xamarin extensions in particular that would allow mixing a different older version of Xamarin with a newer version of Visual Studio 2017, I would recommend adding a feedback item and voting on it on https://xamarin.uservoice.com/. Thanks!

• DH_HA1DH_HA1 Darren Haligas USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski what about Xamarin Studio 15.1? I am not sure I rolled it back correctly b/c I am still getting the issue with mono 4.8.1

what about Xamarin Studio 15.1?

That shouldn't be too tricky in theory. As mentioned a couple comments ago, you can just install the old packages "over" the new versions to downgrade. (It isn't necessary to delete the newer version beforehand.) Be sure to grab all of the appropriate "Mac-only" versions from https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-2/ based on what you have installed.

For Bug 56296 "MTOUCH: error MT2001: Could not link assemblies." in particular, you can also check that Project > Active Runtime shows Mono 4.8.1 as the active runtime in Xamarin Studio since the issue is related to the new portable .pdb debugging symbols format that is generated by default in Mono 5.0 (see also the bottom of the first post in the thread for some additional background info about that).

• n1schaln1schal Nischal Adhikari USMember

Hi

Does the stable release has the Enable Bitcode option in the Project Build options? I've switched channels and updated but I can't see this option in the iOS Build section of my Project Options

Also, is this option available for iOS projects or is it limited to tvOS/watchOS ?

This discussion has been closed.