Circle button in Xamarin.Forms. Super easy way

AlezhukAlezhuk USMember ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Xamarin.Forms

Guys, there is super easy way to create Circle/Round buttons in XF.
What you need to do is to use BorderRadius, WidthRequest and HeightRequest (you must use all these properties)
Make in mind simple formula:
WidthRequest = BorderRadius * 2
HeightRequest = BorderRadius * 2

or another way:
BorderRadius = WidthRequest / 2
BorderRadius = HeightRequest / 2

So finally, if your WidthRequest and HeightRequest both are equals 40, then your BorderRadius will be 20.
See the attached screens for this simple and nice hack :)

simple text:

font awesome:

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a way to do that in pure markup without doing the calculations in C# or at design time?

• AlezhukAlezhuk USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Yeah, forgot to mention, that in my case I've used XAML:
    Button WidthRequest="40" HeightRequest="40" BorderRadius="20"

And of course this can be also done in C#

Also this can be done as custom control, aka CircleSimpleButton :)
    with some predefined sizes, aka small, medium, large, or custom (define explicitly)

• DiogoLeaoDiogoLeao USMember ✭✭

Android and UWP work too?

edited May 2017

Currently was testing that only on iOS and Android. It seems that was working without issues. I need make some more tests on different OS versions and with FormsAppCompatActivity

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

If one were to use the technique to make a customcontrol that would then be dynamic in its sizing (self re-sizing) to the space giving to it by its parent container, then it becomes worthwhile.
    But I don't hardcode sizes on anything.

Make sense, this control can be implemented as auto-scale (self re-sizing, etc.), but not for now :)

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@Alezhuk

I do like posts like this that show how you can use the framework to do tricks (prefer that to hack) like this.

A small project attached might help some people who are not aware of these properties.

@NMackay That is great idea with samples. I'm thinking of sharing a repo or implement custom control.

• DiogoLeaoDiogoLeao USMember ✭✭

With a bindable property radius :)

• N_BauaN_Baua INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Alezhuk
    Can you please, please, please share the sample code?

I tried with all properties as mentioned, however the button is not appearing circle.

Will the following code only do the trick?

<Button Text="Z" WidthRequest="40" HeightRequest="40" BorderRadius="20"></Button>

Please suggest.

Thanks
    N Baua

Okey Got it,

< Button Text="" WidthRequest="60" HorizontalOptions="Center" HeightRequest="60" BackgroundColor="Aqua"
    BorderColor="Red" BorderRadius="30" Image="_btnCamera.png" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" />

Though couldn't get the Red border, however happy with the result.

Regards,
    Nhilesh Baua

• Sahadev_GuptaSahadev_Gupta INMember ✭✭✭

@Alezhuk It's not working in Android.. Here is the code

<Button WidthRequest="60" HeightRequest="60" BorderRadius="30" HorizontalOptions="Center" VerticalOptions="Center"/>

@Sahadev_Gupta Can you share some more source code? In what layout your button is wrapped? Also please share the screen to see what is shown.

• WilsonVargasWilsonVargas PEMember ✭✭

I've created this control based on project developed by James montemagno.
    Maybe it can be useful for you
    https://www.nuget.org/packages/Plugins.Forms.ButtonCircle

this work fine in Android and iOS

@WilsonVargas said:

Looks Great,
    Update docs and replicate on GitHub as well. That gives you better wings. :smile: Best of luck

N Baua

• WilsonVargasWilsonVargas PEMember ✭✭

@N_Baua said:

@WilsonVargas said:

Looks Great,
    Update docs and replicate on GitHub as well. That gives you better wings. :smile: Best of luck

N Baua

This plugin is on Github actually, for more information about documentation see: https://github.com/wilsonvargas/ButtonCirclePlugin

edited August 2017

@Alezhuk

This came in very handy thanks.

I had to do some comps that had a rounded background that had to change colour based on some rules and the label code inside had to change, same approach works nicely with a frame as well.

<Frame Grid.Row="0" Grid.RowSpan="2" Grid.Column="1" HeightRequest="30" WidthRequest="30" BackgroundColor="#FFFFFF" 
                       HasShadow="False" OutlineColor="Transparent" Padding="0" CornerRadius="15" VerticalOptions="Center" Margin="0,0,8,0">
                    <Frame.Triggers>
                        <DataTrigger TargetType="Frame" Binding="{Binding OrderDetails.OrderStatus}" Value="Normal">
                            <Setter Property="BackgroundColor" Value="{StaticResource OrdStatusNormal}" />
                        </DataTrigger>
                        <DataTrigger TargetType="Frame" Binding="{Binding OrderDetails.OrderStatus}" Value="Urgent">
                            <Setter Property="BackgroundColor" Value="{StaticResource OrdStatusUrgent}" />
                        </DataTrigger>
                        <DataTrigger TargetType="Frame" Binding="{Binding OrderDetails.OrderStatus}">
                            <Setter Property="BackgroundColor" Value="{StaticResource OrdStatusOther}" />
                        </DataTrigger>
                    </Frame.Triggers>
                    <StackLayout Orientation="Horizontal" HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand" Padding="0">
                        <Label Text="{Binding OrderDetails.OrderStage}" TextColor="#FFFFFF" Margin="0"
                               Style="{StaticResource DataLabelStyle}" HorizontalTextAlignment="Center" HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand">
                        </Label>
                    </StackLayout>
                </Frame>

Bit messy as I just pulled it together and it has a fixed height which isn't ideal but it does the job for now, might try and make a control for it if I get a chance.

Works in iOS and Android fine.

edited December 2017

@NMackay That is awesome.

• Greg_ruGreg_ru Member ✭✭

Unfortunately this have zero effect in Android, still a simple rectangle:

<Button Text="+" FontAttributes="Bold" FontSize="Large" WidthRequest="40" HeightRequest="40" BorderRadius="20" BorderWidth="2" BorderColor="Black"/>

It's in a ListView.Footer. No matter if i put a StackLayout around or not.

• AhmedAlejoAhmedAlejo USMember ✭✭
    edited January 2018

@Sahadev_Gupta @N_Baua this happens because you are probably using FormsAppCompatActivity
    @Alezhuk ´s only works on android if your activity inherits from FormsApplicationActivity
    FormsAppCompatActivity applies Google´s Material Design´s ripple and elevation effect on button using a type of background which the Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.AppCompat.ButtonRenderer doesn´t handle well.

So,
    or your activity inherits from FormsApplicationActivity
    or add the extremely simple renderer below if you need to continue using FormsAppCompatActivity

using Android.Runtime;
    using Opp.Mobile.Forms.Core;
    using System;
    using Xamarin.Forms;

[assembly: ExportRenderer(typeof(Button), typeof(FlatButtonRenderer))]
    /// <summary>
    /// Created for enabling border radius and border color
    /// </summary>
    public class FlatButtonRenderer : Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ButtonRenderer {}

Cheers

• JohnTolleJohnTolle USMember ✭✭

@AhmedAlejo that was exactly my problem. Strangely, I had started out with FormsApplicationActivity (so the rounded corners were working just fine) and then, at some point, inadvertently changed to FormsAppCompatActivity and wondered what the heck had happened. Now I know, thanks to you!

• AhmedAlejoAhmedAlejo USMember ✭✭

@JohnTolle actualluy this is a actually Xamarin.Forms bug. Since using FormsAppCompatActivity causes breaking changes of things that used to work.

Worked fine with FormsAppCompatActivity in Forms 2.4.0. I moved on to another job so never had a chance to test with Forms 2.5.0.

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

its better to use custom renderer regardless of compatibility

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Using frame doesnt work on UWP. any idea why?

• In case of the button inside a grid cell, it is required to set VerticalOptions="Center" and HorizontalOptions="Center".

<Button
        WidthRequest     ="100"
        HeightRequest    ="100"
        BorderRadius     ="50"
        VerticalOptions  ="Center"
        HorizontalOptions="Center"
        BackgroundColor  ="Blue"
        Grid.Row         ="1"
        Grid.Column      ="0" />

• Chand46Chand46 Member ✭✭

Hi @Alezhuk,

Does this work on WPF integrated with Xamarin.forms CrossPlatform?

• Ashish_sharmaAshish_sharma INMember ✭✭✭

i'm facing problem in corner radius property of button , i'm using mac machine and it not accept corner radius property of button but when i use windows operating system it accepted and no error show ?

have any one solution for that?

• amirvenusamirvenus USMember ✭✭✭

@Ashish_sharma said:
    i'm facing problem in corner radius property of button , i'm using mac machine and it not accept corner radius property of button but when i use windows operating system it accepted and no error show ?

have any one solution for that?

What do you mean?
    Do you get an error? A screenshot would be helpful

• Ashish_sharmaAshish_sharma INMember ✭✭✭

Thank's For Reply
    i have not screen shot, i use mac machine and create a demo page in this page i use button control and it not show corner radius property in this control , but when i use windows os like window 10 and same thing to create a demo page and use button control and see property then it show me corner radius property. why ths hap[pen i don't know. using Visual studio 2017.