VS2017 Migration

alaskanroguealaskanrogue USMember ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Visual Studio

I have been working on a cross-platform desktop / mobile application using Xamarin with VS2015. To meet the requirement that the application be available on the most devices, i.e. available to devices using older OS'es, should I continue using VS2015 instead of migrating the solution to VS2017?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• alaskanroguealaskanrogue US ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

John, thanks for replying. In my first attempt using VS2017, I was informed that my Win8.1 Phone project was not migratable, which was not expected and lead to this question. As I said, I need to "be available on the most devices", both physically and installed OS variations.

Answers

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@alaskanrogue,

Unless you need to use some older version of the Xamarin tooling to compile with an older SDK/Xcode version, you can update to VS 2017 and still build applications that can run on older versions. What specifically are you concerned about and which platform?

• alaskanroguealaskanrogue USMember ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

John, thanks for replying. In my first attempt using VS2017, I was informed that my Win8.1 Phone project was not migratable, which was not expected and lead to this question. As I said, I need to "be available on the most devices", both physically and installed OS variations.