Forum Xamarin.iOS

Installer & Updater

TonyValentiTonyValenti USMember ✭✭

Hi All,
This is really a two-part question.

I'm building an App that needs to update itself. I had wanted to use the AppStore to handle that, but it seems as though the requirements of the AppStore are making things too complex with this app. To work around that, I think I'm going to avoid the App store.

1. Does any one have any suggestions on a good framework or set of tools for auto-updating my mac app? On Windows, I'm using Squirrel, but there isn't a release for .NET on Mac.

2. I've considered just making my app launch a browser to download the latest PKG file. How do I make VS for Mac create a PKG file that results in the app being listed in "Applications" once it is installed?

Thanks for your help!

Best Answers

Answers

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I've never used it but I hear good things about https://sparkle-project.org/ . There are some third party C# bindings (such as https://github.com/rainycape/SparkleSharp) but I can not comment on their completeness or quality.

By default release configuration builds an installer using macOS's productbuild tool. You may need to configure the tool with arguments for custom behavior, you can find it under your project options -> Build -> Mac Build -> Packaging and read more in man productbuild

• TonyValentiTonyValenti USMember ✭✭

Thanks chris!

where can i find what a product definition file looks like?
    I've tried doing the installer but it doesn't seem like the installer adds the app to /Applications. Any suggestions on where I should look?

• TonyValentiTonyValenti USMember ✭✭

Thanks @ChrisHamons,
    I would like to suggest that if "Create Installer Package" is checked, that the folder /bin/debug/installer be created and the installer package be placed there. That would eliminate people like me from running into this same issue again.