Forum Xamarin Xamarin.iOS

Unable to build for iPhone, can build for iPhoneSimulator

braderbrader USMember ✭✭

I'm unable to build my Xamarin.Forms iOS app when I set my platform to iPhone rather than iPhoneSimulator. I also have an Apple Watch project. I have no issue building, codesigning, and running the app when I select iPhoneSimulator, but when I select iPhone, the build seems to hang for an extremely long time and eventually fails.

I can reliably reproduce this error. There is a diagnostic build log attached for a separate attempt, which has the same ClientDisconnectedException. Sometimes I can see that Xamarin Mac Agent has disconnected, but not always. Sometimes I get the error but in VS, it still appears as connected. I'm using an application on my Macbook to keep it from sleeping while performing these builds, so I don't believe that is the issue. If necessary I can provide more logs.

My setup:
Visual Studio Professional 2017
Xamarin iOS on Windows 10 - 10.8.0.174
Xamarin iOS on Mac - 10.8
Xamarin Mac Agent connected over Wifi

Severity    Code    Description Project File    Line    Suppression State
Error       The "MTouch" task failed unexpectedly.
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> Xamarin.Messaging.Exceptions.ClientDisconnectedException: The client build1268BRade has been disconnected while waiting a post response to topic xvs/Build/4.4.0.34/copy-item/Dash.iOS/32ff583%2FSystem.Core.dll.mdb
   at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient.<PostAsync>d__23`2.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Client\MessagingClient.cs:line 194
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient.<PostAsync>d__27`2.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Client\MessagingClient.cs:line 0
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient.<PostAsync>d__33`1.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Client\MessagingClient.cs:line 325
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build.BuildClient.<UploadItemAsync>d__22.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build\BuildClient.cs:line 128
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build.BuildClient.<UploadItemAsync>d__21.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build\BuildClient.cs:line 115
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build.TaskRunner.<CopyRequiredInputFilesAsync>d__7.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build\TaskRunner.cs:line 159
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build.TaskRunner.Run(Task task) in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build\TaskRunner.cs:line 45
   at Xamarin.iOS.Tasks.MTouch.Execute() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.iOS.Tasks\Tasks\MTouch.cs:line 45
   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) Xamarin.Messaging.Exceptions.ClientDisconnectedException: The client build1268BRade has been disconnected while waiting a post response to topic xvs/Build/4.4.0.34/copy-item/Dash.iOS/32ff583%2FSystem.Core.dll.mdb
   at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient.<PostAsync>d__23`2.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Client\MessagingClient.cs:line 194
   at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient.<PostAsync>d__27`2.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Client\MessagingClient.cs:line 0
   at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient.<PostAsync>d__33`1.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\Messaging\Xamarin.Messaging.Client\MessagingClient.cs:line 325
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build.BuildClient.<UploadItemAsync>d__22.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build\BuildClient.cs:line 128
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build.BuildClient.<UploadItemAsync>d__21.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build\BuildClient.cs:line 115
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build.TaskRunner.<CopyRequiredInputFilesAsync>d__7.MoveNext() in C:\d\lanes\4471\3f99c5a7\source\xamarinvs\src\MSBuild\Xamarin.VisualStudio.Build\TaskRunner.cs:line 159<--- Dash.iOS    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets 747

• braderbrader USMember ✭✭

Took a while for this thread to be approved... So thought I'd mention that just in case it is a Wifi issue, I've bought an ethernet adapter for the Mac and hope to try that once it arrives to see if it fixes the issue.

• michaelwarnesmichaelwarnes USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2017

yup i'm getting exactly the same, was ok on vs2015, are you building on a vm by any chance?

any news on this anyone?

• braderbrader USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Yes @michaelwarnes, I did get it figured out and as I suspected it was simply a network connectivity issue. I was connecting over Wifi, which would work when building for the simulator, but building for a device took significantly longer and I found that the Wifi connection wasn't cutting it for whatever reason. It would drop every time and I'd lose Xamarin Mac Agent connection during the build, even if I didn't realize it right away. I was using Wifi because my cube only has one ethernet jack, so I just got the networking department to give me an ethernet switch. After that, haven't had any issues at all.

No, I'm not building on a VM. I have a Win 10 workstation with VS2017 and a MacBook Pro. MBP doesn't even have ethernet, so I had to get an adapter. Sounds like you're not doing it over Wifi then, so sorry if my post doesn't help at all.

strangely it turned out to be my network connection too! although. It was the last thing I thought of checking as i'm building on a vm on hosted on a MBP. But thx for the info. It just goes to show!

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't try with the simulator, but it sounds like the bug I filed.