Forum General

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Unified API

AnamuUenishiAnamuUenishi USMember ✭✭

Can someone tell me what a Unified API is in simple definition. I have looked it up on xamarin but everything still seemed blank. Could someone also teach me how i could update existing ios apps. There is a tutorial on Xamarin but i couldn't find the Migrate to Xamarin.IOS Unified API button in the project file. Has it changed ??

This is the link where i got the tutorial for update existing ios apps. It is one of the first steps i am struggling to find the button for.
https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/macios/unified/updating-ios-apps/

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@AnamuUenishi,

The "Unified API" is what we called Xamarin.iOS once it needed to support both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries. The "Classic API" is no longer available and it only supported 32 bit binaries. For a short time, both existed as an option. Now, all apps created from the IDEs are using the "unified API" and the "Classic" option was removed.

You might not see the Migrate option because your project may already be a "unified API" project. Check the "References" folder of your project. If you see a reference to "Xamarin.iOS.dll" then you already have a unified project. If you see a reference to "monotouch.dll" then it's a "Classic API" project.

• AnamuUenishiAnamuUenishi USMember ✭✭
    edited April 2017

@JohnMiller said:
    @AnamuUenishi,

The "Unified API" is what we called Xamarin.iOS once it needed to support both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries. The "Classic API" is no longer available and it only supported 32 bit binaries. For a short time, both existed as an option. Now, all apps created from the IDEs are using the "unified API" and the "Classic" option was removed.

You might not see the Migrate option because your project may already be a "unified API" project. Check the "References" folder of your project. If you see a reference to "Xamarin.iOS.dll" then you already have a unified project. If you see a reference to "monotouch.dll" then it's a "Classic API" project.

i am sorry could you guide me to the refrence page. don't know where that is and also tell me where to go after that because in the refrence folder all i see that has to do with xamarian is called Xamarian.ios

• AnamuUenishiAnamuUenishi USMember ✭✭

@JohnMiller said:
    @AnamuUenishi,

If you see Xamarin.iOS then you already have the Unified API. Nothing more to do.

I hope that helps!

Thank you that is great, but when i try and run the Xamarian.IOS to my device ( i have got provisosong profile and certificate and everything ) i get an error saying replacing existing singnature, does anyone know what i could do to fix this issue