Question about Calabash Announcement

It was announced today that development for Calabash is ending, and support for it will eventually end. My question is: How/Does this affect UITest? My understanding has always been that UITest is built on top of Calabash. Does ending development (and eventually support) for Calabash mean UITest suffers the same fate?

Best Answer

Answers

• garyst1981garyst1981 USMember

But how about Calabash? is it true then that support and/or active development is going to be dropped?

• nildoamorimnildoamorim BRMember

Where it was announced? I've searched through the forum and site and i only could find that thread.

Thanks !

• JaredThigpenJaredThigpen USUniversity ✭✭

They sent out an email:

Our mission on the Test Cloud team has always been to make testing mobile apps easier. We talk with our users and monitor changes in technologies in the test automation landscape to determine how best to accomplish this mission. Today we are announcing changes to the test frameworks we support in Xamarin Test Cloud - changes we believe will improve the overall testing experience for our users.

Introducing Support for Espresso & XCUITest

We have heard from many of you that you want to use the native test frameworks available for iOS and Android. We are excited to share that, as of today, Espresso and XCUITest are supported in both Xamarin Test Cloud and Mobile Center Test. If you have tests in either of these frameworks already, running them in Test Cloud is a straightforward process. As with our other supported frameworks, simply make your framework selection in the new test run dialog to obtain the corresponding command. For instructions on preparing your tests to run in the cloud, check out the Xamarin Test Cloud or Mobile Center documentation.

The Future of Calabash

Part of making sure we deliver as much value to our users as we can involves frequently asking ourselves if we are working on the right things. Calabash was created to make mobile automation Less Painful, and this remains the goal of the framework today. But as the landscape and technologies have evolved, mobile automation has become more accessible and developer-friendly. The rising popularity of the native iOS and Android frameworks alongside the steady adoption of Appium signaled that it may be time to reevaluate the role Calabash plays in Test Cloud. After speaking with many of our customers, we believe we can best serve our users by focusing on the experience of scaling mobile test automation in the cloud and leveraging existing test frameworks which continue to improve. For this reason, we will discontinue active development on Calabash at the end of this month.

While the Calabash framework will not receive new features, we will continue to support running Calabash tests in both Xamarin Test Cloud and Mobile Center Test, including for the upcoming iOS 11 and Android O releases. Existing Calabash tests will continue to run in Test Cloud until breaking changes are introduced in future OS versions, at which point existing tests may begin to fail.

Support & Getting In Touch

As always, we want to hear any and all feedback. You can get in touch with the Test Cloud team using the Intercom widget (chat bubble) in the web UI. Additionally, we have launched a public Slack channel where users will be collaborating on their migration from Calabash to the framework of their choice. If you haven't done so already, you can request to join the Slack channel here.

We know many of you have come to rely on Calabash to ship great mobile apps, so we are dedicated to making sure you have the support and resources you need to be successful in this next step. In the coming weeks, we will reach out again with additional guidance on making the switch. We are excited about the future of Test Cloud and the value this focus will bring - we hope you are, too.

• cleicester91cleicester91 USMember

@JaredThigpen I noticed in your comment reference to a Slack channel to aid in our transition away from Calabash, but there is no link. Do you have a link that will allow me to access the Slack Channel?

Thanks for your help.

• MansiShMansiSh INMember

Please suggest what all kind of support will be stopped regarding calabash? How the existing framework depended on calabash will be migrated? Need more details on same.
    Thanks..

• NateVargheseNateVarghese USUniversity ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    UITest are based on calabash so while it might work today, it will break eventually. Is there any documentation on how to do the migration to XCUITest and Espresso?