An error has occurred: could not open *.mlpd

DanManning.9134DanManning.9134 USMember ✭✭
edited April 19 in Profiler

I get the above error trying to profile an Android application. I can profile a simple "hello world" app, but this particular app fails.
The exact behavior is the .mlpd file is created at the Output Location, but size is 0 bytes.
I'm not sure what steps to take to troubleshoot this bug and get the Profiler to start working. Are there any Android project settings that would cause this sort of error?

environment: Visual Studio for Mac, at the tip of the alpha channel.
Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• DanManning.9134DanManning.9134 USMember ✭✭
    edited May 15 Accepted Answer

Figured it out... Changed the "Optimize" flag line in the .csproj to "false" and it started working with the profiler.
    Thanks for helping out!

Answers

Alternatively, is there a way to use the mono profiler to generate an .mlpd file for an android app? At least then I could open that file in Profiler or HeapShot.

• RodrigoMoyaRodrigoMoya ESXamarin Team Xamurai

This looks like the app not being built with the runtime profiler, so can you share the whole profiler log (go to Help->Open log directory)?

This is the entries added to the log when it fails to open the .mlpd file:

XamarinProfiler.Mac.LcdView Error: 0 : [2017-04-21 14:33:38.0503] error occured on run com.ifit.standalone could not open /Users/dan.manning/Documents/Profiler/zh6pi9ye.mlpd
    XamarinProfiler.Mac.LcdView Error: 0 : [2017-04-21 14:33:38.0625] error occured on run com.ifit.standalone The tasks argument included a null value.
    Parameter name: tasks

@DanManning.9134 can you please share the full Profiler.log?

Here is the full profiler log.

It looks a lot the runtime profiler not being included in the build. Did you enable developer instrumentation on the project and then re-built before profiling? Also, when it fails, have a look at the Console tab on the profiler, it contains the Android's logcat, so it should contain more information about the problem.

edited May 15 Accepted Answer

Figured it out... Changed the "Optimize" flag line in the .csproj to "false" and it started working with the profiler.
    Thanks for helping out!