VS 2017 mobile development workload incomplete install

LesCaudleLesCaudle USMember
edited April 2017 in Visual Studio

I un-installed VS2015 and installed VS 2017 on Win7-64 - and the install failed with this log. How can I resolve this?

The product failed to install the listed workloads and components due to one or more package failures.

Incomplete workloads
Mobile development with .NET (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetCrossPlat,version=15.0.26403.0)
Universal Windows Platform development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.Universal,version=15.0.26403.0)

Incomplete components
Universal Windows Platform tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.UWP.Support,version=15.0.26403.0)
Universal Windows Platform tools for Cordova (Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentGroup.UWP.Cordova,version=15.0.26403.0)
Universal Windows Platform tools for Xamarin (Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentGroup.UWP.Xamarin,version=15.0.26403.0)
Windows 10 SDK (10.0.15063.0) for UWP: C#, VB, JS (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.15063.UWP,version=15.0.26403.0)

You can search for solutions using the information below, modify your selections for the above workloads and components and retry the installation, or remove the product from your machine.

Following is a collection of individual package failures that led to the incomplete workloads and components above. To search for existing reports of these specific problems, please copy and paste the URL from each package failure into a web browser. If the issue has already been reported, you can find solutions or workarounds there. If the issue has not been reported, you can create a new issue where other people will be able to find solutions or workarounds.

Package 'Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP,version=10.0.15063.15' failed to install.
Search URL: https://aka.ms/VSSetupErrorReports?q=PackageId=Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP;PackageAction=Install;ReturnCode=1
Impacted workloads
Mobile development with .NET (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetCrossPlat,version=15.0.26403.0)
Universal Windows Platform development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.Universal,version=15.0.26403.0)
Impacted components
Universal Windows Platform tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.UWP.Support,version=15.0.26403.0)
Universal Windows Platform tools for Cordova (Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentGroup.UWP.Cordova,version=15.0.26403.0)
Universal Windows Platform tools for Xamarin (Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentGroup.UWP.Xamarin,version=15.0.26403.0)
Windows 10 SDK (10.0.15063.0) for UWP: C#, VB, JS (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.15063.UWP,version=15.0.26403.0)
Log
C:\Users\LesXmon\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_setup_20170414114557_179_Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP.log
Details
Command executed: "c:\windows\syswow64\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -NonInteractive -NoLogo -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -InputFormat None "$ErrorActionPreference="""Stop"""; $VerbosePreference="""Continue"""; $ScriptPath="""C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP,version=10.0.15063.15\WinSdkInstall.ps1"""; $SetupExe="""winsdksetup.exe"""; $SetupLogFolder="""windowssdk"""; $PackageId="""Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP"""; $LogFile="""C:\Users\LesXmon\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_setup_20170414114557_179_Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP.log"""; $SetupParameters="""/features OptionId.AvrfExternal OptionId.UWPManaged OptionId.WindowsSoftwareLogoToolkit OptionId.SigningTools OptionId.UWPLocalized /quiet /norestart"""; Get-Content -Raw $ScriptPath | Invoke-Expression; if (!$?) { exit 1603 } elseif ($LastExitCode) { exit $LastExitCode }"
Return code: 1
Return code details: Incorrect function.

• Kent.GreenKent.Green USXamarin Team Xamurai

I think the issue is that you're running on Windows 7, but attempting to install the Windows 10 SDK and related components.

Developing using the Windows 10 SDK requires a system that is itself running Windows 10: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Visual Studio 2017 can be installed on Windows 7: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-system-requirements-vs; however this does not mean all features are available; since some (like the Windows 10 SDK, and probably others) require newer versions of Windows.

• LesCaudleLesCaudle USMember

Kent - that's odd, I actually removed some Windows 10 installs added by VS2015 just before I installed VS2017. It would be useful to develop but not run UWP apps on Win7?

MS might remove that install option on Win7 if the install is always going to fail as that's a bit confusing?

I'm definitely not moving to Win10 on my main box. Other than apps for UWP, everything should work on Win7?

Thanks!

The document does say Windows 10 is required explicitly. I recognized the issue because I saw similar problems when I was running Windows 7 and trying to install the Windows 8.1 SDK which is what made me think of it.

Did you ever successfully build any Windows 10 apps in VS2015 on WIndows 7 as you described? If not, then it may have been a bug in the installer; as that could still fit with it not being explicitly supported.

Alternatively, I don't have information on why the support isn't present, (though given my prior observations with 8.1 I'd of been surprised if it worked normally); possibly even if it could work in certain circumstances it could cause major problems of some sort, like being unstable.

I never did build anything for UWP with VS2015 so possibly it has never worked?

One quick off-topic question - can one change the Xamarin platform in 2017 and choose when a new update from that platform gets installed? I just can't seem to find the settings?

In Visual Studio 2017, Xamarin is listed in "Tools > Extensions & Updates" by default they are set to automatically update in this location.

I have Xamarin installed for 2017, but in 'Extensions & Updates' - I don't see any settings to change the platform to 'alpha' or 'beta' or to initiate a download of a later alpha or beta?

The way stable vs. preview releases work is a bit different starting with Visual Studio 2017, for more information please see the following technical bulletin:

https://releases.xamarin.com/technical-bulletin-updating-xamarin-visual-studio-2017-side-by-side/