Pre-release: Xamarin.Forms 2.4.0.275-pre3

• MaamounMaamoun LBMember ✭✭
    edited July 31

Starting from 2.3.5.233-pre1 the whole effects system don't work for android although it's work well for in UWP, Don't test it on iOS.
    Here what i did:
    Created PCL Xamarin.Forms app and modified MainPage.xaml

<Label x:Name="label" Text="Welcome to Xamarin Forms!"
           VerticalOptions="Center"
           HorizontalOptions="Center" />

And MainPage.xaml.cs

public MainPage()
    {
        InitializeComponent();

label.Effects.Add(Effect.Resolve("App1.MyEffect"));
    }

Then created MyEffect.cs in Android project

using Xamarin.Forms;
    using Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android;

[assembly: ResolutionGroupName("App1")]
    [assembly: ExportEffect(typeof(App1.Droid.MyEffect), "MyEffect")]
    namespace App1.Droid
    {
        class MyEffect : PlatformEffect
        {
            protected override void OnAttached()
            {
                try
                {
                    Control.SetBackgroundColor(Android.Graphics.Color.LightGreen);
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    Console.WriteLine("Cannot set property on attached control. Error: ", ex.Message);
                }
            }

protected override void OnDetached()
            {
            }
        }
    }

I tested 2.3.5.233-pre1, 2.3.5.235-pre2, 2.3.5.239-pre3, 2.3.5.255-pre5, 2.3.5.256-pre6 and last nightly build 2.3.6.122-nightly but still don't work, When I downgraded to 2.3.4.247 it's work well.
    I noticed the app recognize the effect but can't make it attached so it didn't execute effect code at all, Thanks in advanced.

• PaulDiPietroPaulDiPietro USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 31

@Maamoun This is a known issue and has to do with the effects not being attached on the new FastRenderers. It will be fixed.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1

Hi Quick question. there is new Device.UWP -> is it for desktop UWP and Mobile UWP or only Desktop UWP and mobile UWP -> WinPhone?

• BoguslawBlonskiBoguslawBlonski PLMember ✭✭✭

ScrollView width is not working propperly

private void UpdateSelectedIndex()
        {
            var center = _scrollView.ScrollX + (_scrollView.Width / 2);
            var carouselLayout = (CarouselLayout)this.Element;
            carouselLayout.SelectedIndex = center / _scrollView.Width;
        }

private void ScrollToIndex(int targetIndex)
    {
    var targetX = targetIndex * _scrollView.Width;
    _scrollView.Post(new Runnable(() => { _scrollView.SmoothScrollTo(targetX, 0); }));
    }

on 2.3.5 pre6 my carousel view item is half smaller worked fine on 2.3.4.247

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1

I have a big problem using listview with internet images. I reported to ffImageLoading but I believe this has nothing to do with this library, even if I use xamarin forms Image, it will occur. Basically when listview appears, it will download images from url for list items on the screen, usually there 3-4 items. If I use pre6 version, list gets frozen and app shows ANR on Android. This problem exist in stable release only when I scroll fast on the listview but with pre6, it occurs instantly without even scrolling. It is probably fast renders related. Does anybody else have seen this?

• LGMaestrelliLGMaestrelli BRMember ✭✭✭

I'm having this issue on some Android devices, I can't always reproduce.
    This is the only stack trace that I found on Mobile center:

No view found for id 0xdd (unknown) for fragment FragmentContainer{ede9eea #1 id=0xdd}

1 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl.moveToState FragmentManager.java:1293
    2 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl.moveFragmentToExpectedState FragmentManager.java:1528
    3 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl.moveToState FragmentManager.java:1595
    4 android.support.v4.app.BackStackRecord.executeOps BackStackRecord.java:757
    5 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl.executeOps FragmentManager.java:2355
    6 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl.executeOpsTogether FragmentManager.java:2146
    7 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl.optimizeAndExecuteOps FragmentManager.java:2098
    8 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl.execPendingActions FragmentManager.java:2008
    9 android.support.v4.app.FragmentManagerImpl$1.run FragmentManager.java:710
    10 android.os.Handler.handleCallback Handler.java:746
    11 android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage Handler.java:95
    12 android.os.Looper.loop Looper.java:148
    13 android.app.ActivityThread.main ActivityThread.java:5459
    14 java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke Method.java
    15 com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run ZygoteInit.java:728
    16 com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main ZygoteInit.java:618

This is crashing the App.
    Any ideias on why?
    This started on this version.

• NwikNwik PTMember ✭✭

What's is the minimum netstandard version supported by the current pre-release version?

• PouyaJavadzadehPouyaJavadzadeh USMember ✭✭

Hi @DavidOrtinau, I cannot reproduce the issue with 2.3.5.256-pre6. It seems like that issue is resolved . . .

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭

@Nwik .NET Standard 1.0

• NwikNwik PTMember ✭✭

@JoeManke thank you

• PhilipGruebelePhilipGruebele USMember ✭✭

In pre6, Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FastRenderers.ImageRenderer is missing:

protected Image Element { get; set; }

Other fast renderers still support Element to get the XF control. Is this intentionally removed from the ImageRenderer? If yes, is there a quick way to access to XF control when inheriting from fast ImageRenderer or do I need to store this vaulue when received in OnElementChanged()?

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilipGruebele Be careful inheriting from the fast renderers. They will make them internal in the next version.

I also already built a version for MR.Gestures which works with the fast renderers. I guess I'll have to throw away that code too.

@MichaelRumpler Where did you get this information? It makes absolutely no sense to make these internal...and it will break my app because it is now dependent on them.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilipGruebele said:
    @MichaelRumpler Where did you get this information? It makes absolutely no sense to make these internal...and it will break my app because it is now dependent on them.

Re-read his post - there is a link to where he got that information. No need to ask.

For the click-the-link-impared:

@DavidOrtinau Disabling fast renderers by default make sense. But making them internal will prevent proper testing before you re-enable them (in my case I derive from each fast renderers).

• EZHartEZHart USXamarin Team Xamurai

@PhilipGruebele said:
    @DavidOrtinau Disabling fast renderers by default make sense. But making them internal will prevent proper testing before you re-enable them (in my case I derive from each fast renderers).

The testing and feedback we've received while having the fast renderers in the pre-releases has made it apparent that we need to re-architect them a bit. Those architecture changes are going to be breaking changes for any subclasses of the fast renderers.

Once we put them in a stable release, we can no longer make breaking changes to them. So our options are:

1. Release the fast renderers to stable as they are; this requires that we support their current architecture going forward, and cannot make the architectural changes. It also means we have to support this iteration of them going forward.
    2. Remove them from the stable release entirely; this allows us to re-architect them and release them later, but it means that no one gets their current performance benefits until the next stable release.
    3. Make them internal and sealed for the time being; this means that users can still get the performance benefits of the fast renderers in their current form, but no one can create subclasses with a dependency which will break with the next stable release.

We've opted for 3.

The "internal/public" switch won't be flipped back out of nowhere; it'll happen in a pre-release for a subsequent version so that there will be time for testing.

• HumbleArchitectHumbleArchitect USMember ✭✭

We are very excited about Xamarin Forms for Mac. At the moment we are in the midst of a proof-of-concept and would like to interop to a 32-bit component. We followed the preview sample below and got it to work just fine (see link below).

https://blog.xamarin.com/preview-bringing-macos-to-xamarin-forms/

However, if we go into the Mac Build settings and change the architecture from x86_64 to i386 we get an application crash on startup. The error specifically says that Xamarin.Mac is 64-bit and the application is 32-bit.

Anyone know if 32-bit Mac applications using Xamarin Forms will be supported?

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@HumbleArchitect it's being discussed right now, so I'll let you know what they determine. It sounds like there's no reason it shouldn't be able to work on 32-bit.

• ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭✭

Hi @DavidOrtinau. Any luck working on this bug by chance https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=43692

It doesn't sound like it's going into 2.4. I've looked at forum post https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/81768/launching-a-modal-over-a-page-containing-a-map-maps-ad-m-cannot-be-cast-to-android-view-viewgroup; however, the crash still occurs every so often. Is there a stable workaround by chance?

• LGMaestrelliLGMaestrelli BRMember ✭✭✭

Any one else is seeing this error on iOS?
    It is happening a lot. After 2 or 3 deploys it stops and come back after a few seconds of use.
    It occurs when I push a simple page with a ListView.

Index was outside the bounds of the array. (System.IndexOutOfRangeException)
      at (wrapper stelemref) System.Object:virt_stelemref_complex (intptr,object)
      at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].Add (T item) [0x0001e] in /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/10.10.0.36/src/mono/mcs/class/referencesource/mscorlib/system/collections/generic/list.cs:229 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Element.Xamarin.Forms.IElement.AddResourcesChangedListener (System.Action`2[T1,T2] onchanged) [0x00016] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\Element.cs:174 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Element.set_Parent (Xamarin.Forms.Element value) [0x00054] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\Element.cs:193 
      at Xamarin.Forms.ListView.SetupContent (Xamarin.Forms.Cell content, System.Int32 index) [0x0002e] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\ListView.cs:358 
      at Xamarin.Forms.ItemsView`1[TVisual].X
    amarin.Forms.IItemsView<TVisual>.SetupContent (TVisual content, System.Int32 index) [0x00000] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\ItemsView.cs:63 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Internals.TemplatedItemsList`2[TView,TItem].UpdateContent (TItem content, System.Int32 index, System.Object item) [0x00022] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\TemplatedItemsList.cs:608 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Internals.TemplatedItemsList`2[TView,TItem].CreateContent (System.Int32 index, System.Object item, System.Boolean insert) [0x00038] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\TemplatedItemsList.cs:530 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Internals.TemplatedItemsList`2[TView,TItem].GetOrCreateContent (System.Int32 index, System.Object item) [0x00023] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\TemplatedItemsList.cs:589 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Internals.TemplatedItemsList`2+<GetEnumerator>d__79[TView,TItem].MoveNext () [0x0004f] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Core\Temp
    latedItemsList.cs:261 
      at System.Linq.Enumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, System.Boolean& found) [0x00045] in /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/10.10.0.36/src/mono/external/corefx/src/System.Linq/src/System/Linq/First.cs:75 
      at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) [0x00000] in /Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/10.10.0.36/src/mono/external/corefx/src/System.Linq/src/System/Linq/First.cs:14 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.ListViewRenderer+UnevenListViewDataSource.GetEstimatedRowHeight (UIKit.UITableView table) [0x00031] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Renderers\ListViewRenderer.cs:673 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.ListViewRenderer.UpdateEstimatedRowHeight () [0x00045] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Renderers\ListViewRenderer.cs:382 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.ListViewRenderer.OnElementChanged (
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.ElementChangedEventArgs`1[TElement] e) [0x001b2] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Renderers\ListViewRenderer.cs:229 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementRenderer`1[TElement].SetElement (TElement element) [0x00110] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementRenderer.cs:188 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementRenderer`1[TElement].Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.IVisualElementRenderer.SetElement (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement element) [0x00000] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementRenderer.cs:139 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.Platform.CreateRenderer (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement element) [0x0001b] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Platform.cs:193 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementPackager.OnChildAdded (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement view) [0x00009] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Visu
    alElementPackager.cs:68 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementPackager.Load () [0x0001e] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementPackager.cs:41 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementRenderer`1[TElement].SetElement (TElement element) [0x000cc] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementRenderer.cs:175 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementRenderer`1[TElement].Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.IVisualElementRenderer.SetElement (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement element) [0x00000] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementRenderer.cs:139 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.Platform.CreateRenderer (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement element) [0x0001b] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Platform.cs:193 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementPackager.OnChildAdded (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement view) [0x00009] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Pl
    atform.iOS\VisualElementPackager.cs:68 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementPackager.Load () [0x0001e] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementPackager.cs:41 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementRenderer`1[TElement].SetElement (TElement element) [0x000cc] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementRenderer.cs:175 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementPackager.OnChildAdded (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement view) [0x00009] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\X
    amarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementPackager.cs:68 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.VisualElementPackager.OnChildAdded (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement view) [0x00009] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3
    766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\VisualElementPackager.cs:68 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.PageRenderer.ViewDidLoad () [0x00086] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Renderers\PageRenderer.cs:106 
      at Useall.Useall.UseApp.iOS.Renderer.UseContentPageRenderer.ViewDidLoad () [0x00001] in C:\Desenvolvimento\Useall.Useall\Useall.Useall.UseApp\Useall.Useall.UseApp\iOS\Renderer\UseContentPageRenderer.cs:55 
      at (wrapper managed-to-native) ObjCRuntime.Messaging:IntPtr_objc_msgSendSuper (intptr,intptr)
      at UIKit.UIViewController.get_View () [0x00030] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4691/d2270eec/source/xamarin-macios/src/build/ios/native/UIKit/UIViewController.g.cs:2718 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.PageRenderer.get_NativeView () [0x00000] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Rend
    erers\PageRenderer.cs:41 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.PageRenderer.SetElement (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement element) [0x0004f] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Renderers\PageRenderer.cs:56 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.NavigationRenderer.CreateViewControllerForPage (Xamarin.Forms.Page page) [0x00008] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Renderers\NavigationRenderer.cs:335 
      at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS.NavigationRenderer+<OnPushAsync>d__44.MoveNext () [0x0000a] in C:\BuildAgent3\work\ca3766cfc22354a1\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.iOS\Renderers\NavigationRenderer.cs:322 

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15

@DavidOrtinau

Hi, any update on 2.4? the label fast renderer is causing me issues in a tabbed page.

Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FastRenderers.LabelRenderer'.
    Raw
    Java.Interop.JniPeerMembers.AssertSelf(IJavaPeerable self)<bd30a18775d94dc8b6263aecd1ca9077>:0
    Java.Interop.JniPeerMembers.JniInstanceMethods.InvokeNonvirtualObjectMethod(string encodedMember, IJavaPeerable self, JniArgumentValue* parameters)<bd30a18775d94dc8b6263aecd1ca9077>:0
    Android.Views.View.get_Parent()<d855bac285f44dda8a0d8510b679b1e2>:0
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ScrollViewContainer.set_ChildView(View value)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ScrollViewRenderer.LoadContent()
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ScrollViewRenderer.SetElement(VisualElement element)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.Platform.CreateRenderer(VisualElement element)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementPackager.AddChild(VisualElement view, IVisualElementRenderer oldRenderer, RendererPool pool, bool sameChildren)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementPackager.SetElement(VisualElement oldElement, VisualElement newElement)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementPackager.Load()
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementRenderer<TElement>.SetPackager(VisualElementPackager packager)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementRenderer<TElement>.SetElement(TElement element)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementRenderer<TElement>.SetElement(VisualElement element)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.Platform.CreateRenderer(VisualElement element, FragmentManager fragmentManager)
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.AppCompat.FragmentContainer.OnCreateView(LayoutInflater inflater, ViewGroup container, Bundle savedInstanceState)<3364a2d206a142d8a54cb7a9b77626da>:0
    Android.Support.V4.App.Fragment.n_OnCreateView_Landroid_view_LayoutInflater_Landroid_view_ViewGroup_Landroid_os_Bundle_(IntPtr jnienv, IntPtr native__this, IntPtr native_inflater, IntPtr native_container, IntPtr native_savedInstanceState)<27c17fe440cf491ba8255bcefade6e02>:0
    at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object:85f3f3e7-b999-4fdd-a124-fe9bfcc47939 (intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr)

This little bit of code causes it, I'll try and refactor to get round the issue

<Grid Grid.Column="2" Grid.Row="0" Grid.RowSpan="5" RowSpacing="0" ColumnSpacing="0" BackgroundColor="{StaticResource SeperatorGrey}" >
                    <ScrollView BackgroundColor="#ffffff" Margin="2,0,3,3">
                        <Label HorizontalOptions="FillAndExpand" VerticalOptions="FillAndExpand" Margin="2" Text="{Binding SelectedMemo.Message}" VerticalTextAlignment="Start"
                               BackgroundColor="#ffffff" LineBreakMode="WordWrap"
                               Style="{StaticResource DetailPageDataLabelStyle}"  />
                    </ScrollView>
                </Grid>

EDIT:

This fixes it

<ScrollView Grid.Column="2" Grid.Row="0" Grid.RowSpan="5" BackgroundColor="{StaticResource SeperatorGrey}">
                        <StackLayout VerticalOptions="FillAndExpand" Orientation="Vertical" 
                                     BackgroundColor="{StaticResource SeperatorGrey}" Margin="0,0,2,2">
                            <Label Margin="2" Text="{Binding SelectedMemo.Message}" VerticalTextAlignment="Start" VerticalOptions="FillAndExpand"
                                  BackgroundColor="#ffffff" LineBreakMode="WordWrap"
                                  Style="{StaticResource DetailPageDataLabelStyle}"  />
                        </StackLayout>
                </ScrollView> 

• ChrisMcBride.2625ChrisMcBride.2625 USUniversity ✭✭

Is there an ETA on when 2.3.5 might be moved to stable? There has been no movement on pre6 for 6 weeks.

• DnielBugaDnielBuga USMember ✭✭

@ChrisMcBride.2625 said:
    Is there an ETA on when 2.3.5 might be moved to stable? There has been no movement on pre6 for 6 weeks.

2.3.5 won't be released as far as I understand. They are aiming for 2.4 and 3.0

!?
    So at least another 6 months before we see the next stable release?

• JoeMankeJoeManke USMember ✭✭✭✭

From my understanding, 2.3.5 has just been renamed 2.4, much like 1.5.2 was instead released as 2.0.

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

Sent 2.4-pre1 (aka 2.3.5-pre7 plus) to QA this afternoon, we are validating the build now, and will push to NuGet tomorrow unless we find a blocker.

@JoeManke said:
    From my understanding, 2.3.5 has just been renamed 2.4, much like 1.5.2 was instead released as 2.0.

Was it? Good to know we have some precedent.

It's tricky b/c we want the version to reflect the content of the release adhering more or less to semantic versioning, but also don't want to introduce confusion by switching the name of the release at the last minute. We obviously are choosing the former.

@AdamP said:
    {...} due to evolve. I like to call it conference driven development :)

It would be awesome if the stuff we saw at Evolve actually made it into release. Remote USB connection for your iDevice ... A previewer that worked... {...{

• AdamMeaneyAdamMeaney USMember ✭✭✭✭

Remote USB connection for your iDevice

This would be the greatest. I hate the other devs coming to my desk to look at the Mac when we want to use a real device for something.

@AdamMeaney said:

Remote USB connection for your iDevice

This would be the greatest. I hate the other devs coming to my desk to look at the Mac when we want to use a real device for something.

I had it going on a version shortly after Evolve 2017 and it worked great. Then it disappeared from later releases, supposedly due to poor performance.

Personally I think Xamarin should not have retracted for performance. If they pulled things for poor performance we wouldn't have Android capability in Xamarin.Forms {laugh}

If it serves the customer needs that's up to the customer. I'd love to see this put back in and then leave it up to the customer to decide if it works well enough on their machines and network. It already exists - I'VE USED IT - all they have to do is put it back.

@AdamP "conference driven development" :D :D

@AdamMeaney could you levy a tax on devs coming to your desk? Donuts? Coffee? Sounds like an opportunity.

Seriously tho, I'm not sure what happened with the USB thing or why it was so slow.

Anyone using the remote simulator with VS? I know it's enterprise only version.

• AdamMeaneyAdamMeaney USMember ✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau We use the remote simulator for most things, it is just the occasional things need testing on real devices to make sure they perform as expected, or we want to use location in the field, etc.

@AdamMeaney said:
    @DavidOrtinau We use the remote simulator for most things, it is just the occasional things need testing on real devices to make sure they perform as expected, or we want to use location in the field, etc.

But remote simulator is for VS Enterprise users. So everyone below that is left in the cold.
    Also, a simulator is single-instance versus every developer having a tablet.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

@AdamMeaney said:

But remote simulator is for VS Enterprise users. So everyone below that is left in the cold.
    Also, a simulator is single-instance versus every developer having a tablet.

The simulator is of limited use. For daily development in HTTPS it's pretty useless, developing against devices means at least you know how the app will work and behave.

• BjornBBjornB USMember ✭✭✭
    edited August 17

Install failed. Rolling back... Package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.4.0.266-pre1 : Xamarin.Android.Support.Design [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.MediaRouter [23.3.0, )' does not exist in project 'some.name

Anyone else getting this when updating? i have higher version numbers on all of the "does not exist" packages..

@BjornB said:

Install failed. Rolling back... Package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.4.0.266-pre1 : Xamarin.Android.Support.Design [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView [23.3.0, ), Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.MediaRouter [23.3.0, )' does not exist in project 'some.name

Anyone else getting this when updating? i have higher version numbers on all of the "does not exist" packages..

Yeah, trying to update Xamarin.Android.* packages is usually a bad idea, as far as I know.

Well, this is lovely.

Today I was hit by two exceptions. The first one is a TypeLoadException with message: > "Could not resolve type with token 010000f3 (from typeref, class/assembly SQLite.CreateTableResult, SQLite-net, Version=1.5.166.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null)"

The second one is:

08-17 12:32:23.780 E/mono (11281): Unhandled Exception:
    08-17 12:32:23.780 E/mono (11281): System.MissingMethodException: Method 'SQLite.SQLiteAsyncConnection.CreateTableAsync' not found.
    08-17 12:32:23.780 E/mono-rt (11281): [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.MissingMethodException: Method 'SQLite.SQLiteAsyncConnection.CreateTableAsync' not found.

The first one appeared immediately after updating to 2.4. It was solved by clearing the solution, the app built and ran fine.
    Then I changed something unrelated in the code, rebuilt (simply, without clearing) and the second exception appeared. That, again, went away by clearing the solution. A minor annoyance, but I'm not sure what can cause it and if it will return or not.

• BjornBBjornB USMember ✭✭✭

@DnielBuga im only updating XF

@BjornB said:
    @DnielBuga im only updating XF

Then no, I haven't seen it. You can try removing those packages and reinstalling XF, but I guess you know this already.