Getting XAML Intellisense to work VS 2017

Hi all,

I'm new to xamarin, have got everything to work except for the intellisense, it only works randomly or sometimes when I have already typed most of the code. I have looked through a previous post on this topic:
https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/64005/intellisense-problem-in-visual-studio/p1

Which mentions something about if version at the topic of the xaml is in blue saying xml (which mine is) that it needs to be changed. The fix suggested about opening in source free editor for the solution I don't have as an available option.

I'm using visual studio 2017 with resharper. Any help will be appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• toroidalgamestoroidalgames GBMember ✭✭

bump - still need assistance please

bump - Anyone experienced and fixed this issue?

Thanks

Last time I'm going to bump any info will be appreciated.

• renzskarenzska USMember ✭✭

I'm having the same issue. No intellisense whatsoever. Any help would be appreciated.

• renzskarenzska USMember ✭✭

So I got it working in a weird way, but not sure what the difference is.

I made a copy of my xaml file. Then in VS 2017 I replace the content of the main file with the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <ContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms"
                 xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml"
                 x:Class="Temp">
    </ContentPage>

The first line still showed blue, but then I saved the document, closed it, and re-opened it, and it showed as gray.

I then copied in the xaml from the original copied xaml file (backup) into the file in VS that I replaced with the above text and it auto-formatted the document, had the first line as still gray, and intellisense started working.

Hi John thanks for the response, tried that still isn't working for me. I've pretty much given up on it and going to leave it till theres an update that hopefully fixes it unless another possible solution comes up for me to try.

• FerranPlaza.8298FerranPlaza.8298 USMember
    edited May 10

Have you tried to Right click > Open with > Source code editor ?
    EDIT: Sorry, I see you have tried but don't see the option, that was my solution.

@FerranPlaza.8298 said:
    Have you tried to Right click > Open with > Source code editor ?
    EDIT: Sorry, I see you have tried but don't see the option, that was my solution.

Hi Ferran thank you for the suggestion yeah I have tried and look into other posts suggesting it but for some reason I don't even have that as an available option

• SousouSousou FRMember ✭✭

Hi, same problem here, I'm just starting to learn Xamarin and it drives me crazy. I had Intellisense working at the beginning and now it comes and goes. I tried all the "open with" solutions, restarting, cleaning etc... The only thing that made it work was to switch to the Android Project in the listbox just under the tab name, once the xaml opened. With UWP project selected, it does not work.
    Hope it helps :smile:

• KayoHamidKayoHamid USMember ✭✭

Same problem... HELP, HELP, HELP...

• SousouSousou FRMember ✭✭

Did you try this ? Force the switch to Android, it works for me (VS2017). With UWP selected, I have no intellisense.

• RaymondArvidssonRaymondArvidsson SEMember ✭✭

Same problems. Acually, when I first create a new project and start typing - the intellisense is there, Close Visual Studio and open teh soultion again - the intellisense is gone. It DRIVES ME CRAZY!!

• RaymondArvidssonRaymondArvidsson SEMember ✭✭

I just removed the Android-project - Intellisense started to work. Did the same in my real project - didn´t help. ARG!!

• codergrlcodergrl USUniversity

Anyone has any other ideas? Switching the context to iOS helps restore some of the intellisense, but not all. I have a custom control I created, and I used to be able to see its properties in xaml intellisense. Then all of the sudden it stopped working.

• ecoscomecoscom BRMember

Same problem...

• Davidx777Davidx777 USMember
    edited August 13

Not sure if I followed Pierce's instructions correctly, but it didn't work for me.

• Davidx777Davidx777 USMember
    edited August 13

Rebuilding the new project seems to have fixed the intellisense problem for me. I had to fix my target/minimum android version before I could successfully rebuild. You may have to re-open the project after rebuilding. My guess is if your project (even new ones) has anything that will prevent it from successfully rebuilding, it will break intellisense.

• vshahvshah USMember

In my case, resharper was also preventing intellisense from working correctly.

• 1xo21xo2 NZMember ✭✭

same problem..

• For everyone else that had tried previous solutions, and they didn't work -> In Solution explorer:
    1. Click "Show all files".
    2. Click "Exclude from project".
    3. Click "Include in project".
    This is so stupid.