Remoted iOS Simulator for Visual Studio in Windows

Remoted iOS Simulator for Visual Studio in Windows requires Visual Studio Enterprise license which is costly. It will be better if we get this with Visual Studio Professional.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't have to pay for Xamarin at all anymore - when it used to cost big bucks. With that savings maybe you could upgrade your Visual Studio license.

Or... put VNC on your PC... remote into the Macintosh... and you can operate the simulator running on the Mac, remotely... for free.

• MahibaRajaseelanMahibaRajaseelan USMember ✭✭

@StLaurent - Yes I am using the same way (remote into Mac) But the mac machine is in sharing and used for other iOS development as well. So I suggest availability of Remoted iOS Simulator for Visual Studio Professional.

What I'm saying is... Your company needs to quit being cheap and pay for the tools it needs.

Every other profession pays for its tools. Car mechanics pay for their tools. Plumbers don't get free tools. Developers need to stop thinking everything is open-source and free.

You're in a team, you said it yourself. That's an Enterprise. Your employer needs to pay for Enterprise grade tools if they want Enterprise grade features; instead of whining about having to spend money to make money.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    What I'm saying is... Your company needs to quit being cheap and pay for the tools it needs.

All 'Enterprises' are not big and rich...

All 'Enterprises' are not big and rich...

Not saying they are. Just saying they have to accept the reality of being in business. They went into business and that means, payroll, insurance, equipment, software and all the other overhead cost of doing business. These same 'poor small businesses' that don't want to pay for someone else's work still expect to sell their product for a profit, don't they? Or are they giving away their efforts for free?

A vendor has to make a buck on its efforts someplace.
    Everyone was cheering when Xamarin became free. Saved them all thousands. Now they bitch that not EVERYTHING is free. That a couple features require Enterprise licenses. They need to just get over it. If you are in a multi-developer environment... AND you have this need for many of them to be connecting remotely to the mac build server... stick a crowbar in your wallet and upgrade. If you don't want to do that, then change your environment. Buy everyone their own mac off ebay for a couple hundred bucks. Get MacInCloud licenses so you're only charged for the time you use. Use the new LivePreview thingie if it works. Signify one person to do actual live checking on the real device while everyone else works on a $50 Android tablet on their desk: After all it is supposed to be cross-platform isn't it. That means you can do 90% of your work without the Mac. There's a dozen different ways to work and get the job done: If you're real intent is to worry about getting the job done; and not use this as an excuse to procrastinate on company time.

Personally I vote for including it all with Xamarin and go back to charging for Xamarin on a per-seat basis again. We sure had a lot fewer numbnutz on here asking totally stupid questions based on zero willingness to learn. At least when companies had to pay for Xamarin that alone screened out 95% of the kitchen-table wackers that didn't bother doing XamU or Charles' FREE book, or any of the countless free tutorials.

• MahibaRajaseelanMahibaRajaseelan USMember ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent - This is not the answer I, as a developer, expected from you. This may downgrade any developer who try with Xamarin framework and make a way to go with other cross platform frameworks. This is not the purpose Microsoft buying Xamarin and giving free to its Visual Studio developers. Also note, we did not ask all features free. Simulator is mandatory during all course of mobile app development.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@MahibaRajaseelan said:
    Simulator is mandatory during all course of mobile app development.

A mac is also compulsory to be able to use the iOS Simulator, so what is the point you are trying to make? You can of course just use a remote desktop to the mac to see the simulator.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

The Remoted iOS Simulator is now available to all developers beginning in Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5 (released December 2017), including the free Community Edition:

• pmhartpmhart Member

@PierceBoggan I just noticed this, after installing I am not seeing the option in Visual Studio community. Is it a bug?

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmhart Have you enabled it? Tools, Options, Xamarin, iOS Settings. I presume the option will be there in Community

• pmhartpmhart Member

@JohnHair said:
    @pmhart Have you enabled it? Tools, Options, Xamarin, iOS Settings. I presume the option will be there in Community

Turns out I just had to update Visual Studio 2017