The root assembly conflicts with another assembly

2»

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@Thomas.Bienkowski said:
    As mentioned by Homero, a workaround was posted. This is already fixed for the next version,

Eh... No so much.

11jun2017

I hadn't updated my home system in months. VS2017 was still Release Candidate - So that had to update.
    The Mac also was just as far behind.
    After countless rounds of updating on the Mac - it is up-to-date as of version v.yesterday. Same with the PC.
    As we all know if you don't have exactly matching versions you can't even connect to the mac build host. So the fact that I can, it doesn't drop off, it wants to build, it makes files and so on, makes me think everything is up-to-date and hunky-dory on both sides.

"Root assembly of app2 conflicts with {...} blah blah" still there.

PC
    Windows Creator edition
    VS2017 15.1 (26403.0) Enterprise

Mac
    macOS Sierra (10.12.5)(not High Sierra preview)
    VSMac 7.0.1 (Build 24) - No updates available (so must me up-to-date)
    Mono runtime 4.0.1.1
    GTK+ 2.24.23
    NuGet 4.0.0.2323
    Xamarin.IOS 10.10.0.38

• PremrajGillalaPremrajGillala USMember ✭✭

@Ashok.Veldi said:
    @asok I am also using Visual Studio for Mac.By Install the following package on the Mac to downgrade just Xamarin.iOS to the current Stable channel version:

https://dl.xamarin.com/MonoTouch/Mac/xamarin.ios-10.8.0.175.pkg it is working fine.

Thanks, Ashok. This worked for me.

• Thanks for the advice and tips on here!

I just fixed by updating Visual Studio 2017 (PC) to latest version using update feature in the VS 2017 installer. Updated OSX El Capitan to MAC OS Sierra, updated XCode to latest version 8.3.4 and updated Xamarin Studio Mac to latest version also. Now working without build error.

It was definitely related to version compatibility between dev env and MAC emulator env. Versions must be compatible for it to work.

• AvinashNaimpallyAvinashNaimpally USMember ✭✭
    edited July 2017

I encountered the same issue while trying to build the iOS version of the app in VS2015.
    After spending almost a day finding what the problem could be and what is the solution to it, this just worked like a charm.
    Thanks to @Thomas.Bienkowski.
    Cheers!

@Thomas.Bienkowski said:

As mentioned by Homero, a workaround was posted. This is already fixed for the next version, however the workaround will restore your ability to build.

To save you a click, here is the workaround:

in $(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.After.targets

line 73:
    -      <_ReferencedDlls Include="@(AllBuiltProjectOutputs);" />
    -      <_Assemblies Include="@(MainAssembly);@(_ReferencedDlls)" />
    +      <_Assemblies Include="@(AllBuiltProjectOutputs)" />

line 85:
    -      <MTouchReferencePath Include="@(_Assemblies)" />
    +      
    +      <MTouchReferencePath Include="@(_Assemblies)"
    +                           Condition="'%(_Assemblies.IsKeyOutput)' != 'true'" />

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech USMember ✭✭✭

@TertiumOrganum said:
    Guys, do you ever launch (stable!) release on your PCs/Macs before go online? Every single update of Xamarin in VS and then on Mac is a huge headache! Your update tools never work (thanx they give links for manual download), and when I update every single time I spend day or two to make it work. And many people have the same pain. Why does it happen?

In my two years of being a xamarin developer, I've never experienced a smooth upgrade.

Each update is 'superficial' - that is - they only update xamarin to keep up with the latest version of Xcode; very few critical bugs are fixed each release. And each release is progressively worst than the last. I honestly do not believe they have a QA (Quality Assurance) team. If they do, then they need to do a much better job of regression testing.

Microsoft takes a major LOSS for the acquisition of this company. If I were Bill Gates - I would have forced the company to produce a "good" product before I gave them a single dollar...Xamarin is far from being a "good" product, heck it barely works most of the time.

If you want a stable iOS development experience - it'd be best to just learn Xcode at this point. Xamarin just can't get their stuff together.

• RebinGroupRebinGroup USMember
    edited July 2017

@AvinashNaimpally said....
    line 73:

Hi AvinashNaimpally
    its work for me, very good

• SaeidKiasaraeiSaeidKiasaraei USMember ✭✭

Thanks to @Ashok.Veldi, The link and solution provided by him solved my problem,

• KonstantinShmelevKonstantinShmelev BYMember
    edited October 2017

@Thomas.Bienkowski and @jebkis, thank you for your workaround and clarification. It helps me to solve my problem without sdk updating, that was really important for me.

• IanCazIanCaz USMember ✭✭

In case anyone else is having trouble locating the file, here's where it was on my machine:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS> @HomeroLara said:

I believe there is a work around for this here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=54576

Cannot access that bug anymore

• IanCazIanCaz USMember ✭✭

@Thomas.Bienkowski said:
    As mentioned by Homero, a workaround was posted. This is already fixed for the next version, however the workaround will restore your ability to build.

To save you a click, here is the workaround:

line 73:
    -      <_ReferencedDlls Include="@(AllBuiltProjectOutputs);" />
    -      <_Assemblies Include="@(MainAssembly);@(_ReferencedDlls)" />
    +      <_Assemblies Include="@(AllBuiltProjectOutputs)" />

line 85:
    -      <MTouchReferencePath Include="@(_Assemblies)" />
    +      
    +      <MTouchReferencePath Include="@(_Assemblies)"
    +                           Condition="'%(_Assemblies.IsKeyOutput)' != 'true'" />

For anyone else having trouble locating this file to modify, here's where I found it on my PC (Win10 w/VS2017):
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.After.targets