Stable Channel (and VS 2017): 15.1 (aka "Cycle 10") Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited April 6 in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-1/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

This release uses a new naming convention "15.1" that more closely resembles the sub-version numbering of Visual Studio 2017. "15.1" in this new scheme matches up with what Xamarin would have called "Cycle 10" under the old scheme.

This release is now available in the Xamarin updater channels and as part of the April 5 - version 15.1 update for Visual Studio 2017.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "15.1 Release" new bug form if you see any suspicious behavior in these versions that you wish to report.

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • You can also check the list of issues reported by users so far for the 15.1 Stable channel versions to see if any match. If you find a match, feel free to CC yourself on the bug report as a way to tally your interest in the bug:

Xamarin "15.1" user-submitted bugs list

(If you have reported an issue that is specific to the latest 15.1 release but is not yet included in the list, the bug might not have been filed using the "15.1 Release" new bug form. Those bugs will be added to the 15.1 list as they are reviewed by the team.)

• Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after download, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

• JesseSalazarJesseSalazar Jesse Salazar USMember
    edited April 6

The https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-1/ link says to check out the release notes for additional details. Are the release notes beneath each of the "Products Released" always for the particular build indicated? The "Xamarin Studio 6.3.0.863" Release Notes link, for example, just takes us to the 6.3 page.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

At the moment there is not always a dedicated release notes section for each published build x.x.x.x of a product. But that is near the top of the list of things to standardize on the release notes in the future. I'll add your comment to an internal tally of user comments in favor of a release notes enhancement effort.

If you like, you're definitely also welcome to post a suggestion on https://xamarin.uservoice.com/ to gather user interest in ensuring each build number is mentioned on the release notes.

• RaphaelSchindlerRaphaelSchindler Raphael Schindler USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski When I update on my machine, I always get this error message:

This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Restarting doesn't solve the problem and I'm unable to find the cached installation file. Aren't they in the %localappdata% anymore? I can't redownload it because I can't delete the cached msi.

I'm attaching my VS info.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 7

unable to find the cached installation file. Aren't they in the %localappdata% anymore?

Yes, the files will download to:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\MonoDevelop-4.0\Cache\TempDownload

In case it might also come in handy, you can also try downloading the package directly in your browser from either the iOS or Android drop-down menu on the store.xamarin.com downloads page. (See the Download links section on the downgrading guide for a few more details on accessing those links.)

This installation package could not be opened

It seems the incidence of incomplete or incorrect downloads might have increased in certain regions after some backend changes related to the CDN hosting the downloads. As a follow-up to this I will write a small enhancement request for the XamarinVS extensions to handle re-attempting the download more easily. Thanks!

• JillBurgessJillBurgess Jill Burgess USMember

This release causes my build to break during build target _CoreCompileImageAssets with the following error:

/Users/vagrant/git/iOS/Resources/Images.xcassets/BarcodeSample.imageset/Sample~iphone.pdf: error : File not found: /Users/vagrant/git/iOS/Resources/Images.xcassets/BarcodeSample.imageset/Sample~iphone.pdf

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a Image Set in the Image.xcassets.
    2. Use a .pdf file as the Universal vector image for all device sizes.
    3. Build the solution.

Expected behavior

No errors.

Actual behavior

Error for Xamarin.iOS project:
    error : File not found: /Users/vagrant/git/iOS/Resources/Images.xcassets/Sample.imageset/Sample~iphone.pdf

Supplemental info (logs, images, videos)

Error occurs on Xamarin.iOS 10.8.0.175. Had to downgrade back to 10.4.

Using a .pdf file as the Universal vector image for all device sizes. If I create a duplicate of this .pdf, rename it to be the file that is "not found", and then add it to the project as the iPhone vector image & rebuild again, then a different image set will result in the same error. I tried to resolve the errors with 4 of the image sets, but there are too many in my project for this to be a reasonable workaround.

This release causes my build to break...
    Sample~iphone.pdf: error : File not found:

It looks like you have filed that issue under Bug 54958 in Bugzilla. That is the correct place to continue to track the issue. Thanks for the report!

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 Brad Chase USMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 11

@BrendanZagaeski So I upgraded to the latest version and now I cannot AOT for deployment on Android. I get this error:
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path. at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional) at System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path) at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.Aot.<RunParallelAotCompiler>c__AnonStorey2.<>m__0(Config config) at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass42_02.b__1()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.b__0(Object )
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.PartitionerForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](Partitioner1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 simpleBody, Action2 bodyWithState, Action3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func5 bodyWithEverything, Func1 localInit, Action1 localFinally)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IEnumerable1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 body, Action2 bodyWithState, Action3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func5 bodyWithEverything, Func1 localInit, Action1 localFinally)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 body)
    at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.Aot.RunParallelAotCompiler(List1 nativeLibs) at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.Aot.<DoExecute>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.InnerInvoke()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.get_Result()
    at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.Aot.DoExecute()
    at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.Aot.Execute()
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.`

I was fine just before updating. I am on VS 2017. Is there an option to downgrade 2017? or is this fixed in the latest alpha?

Thanks!

Is there an option to downgrade 2017?

Yep. From the first post in the thread:

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-15-1/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

And from that post:

Previous versions of Visual Studio 2017 can be found on My.VisualStudio.com as described in the article about older Visual Studio versions.

As I understand it, the standard technique to downgrade Visual Studio 2017 is to uninstall the current version and then manually install the desired earlier version (such as "Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (version 15.0)"). It's a bit heavier-weight than downgrading just the Xamarin extension by itself in VS 2015 and lower, but downgrading all of VS 2017 at once ensures that the set of installed Visual Studio 2017 components is the set that was tested together.

@BrendanZagaeski I see. Thanks for the update on that but I cant seem to get VS2015 to get a version from another channel right now, they all say up to date. So I am manually installing it. Which raises another question, can I run an old version on VS2015 for releases and then use VS2017 for daily usage until the bug is fixed?

can I run an old version on VS2015 for releases and then use VS2017 for daily usage until the bug is fixed?

That should work fine, yes. Most of the time since the VS 2017 general availability release came out I have been keeping my VS 2015 instance on a different Xamarin version for testing various things compared to the versions packaged within VS 2017. So far I haven't run into any conflicts. The products that would be more likely to conflict are the Remoted iOS Simulator, Workbooks & Inspector, and Profiler, if by chance you use any of those.

@BrendanZagaeski Awesome, yea I am building fine on VS2015 with the older xamarin. The new version's AOT is busted unfortunately :(. As for iOS, the new version works perfectly so I dont have to worry about that right now :).

Hey thanks a ton for the info! Glad I can get this release out with those steps.

• JayBowmanJayBowman Jay Bowman USMember

With this release the deployment target and iOS SDK is 10.3. If I have an existing application built on 9.3 will it still work? In VS2015 project properties iOS build SDK options version 10.3 is the only available in the dropdown list. My existing app will start in the iphone simulator, but when I create a new project and try to run from VS in an iPhone simulator it dies on startup.

Launch failed. The app 'TipCalcIOS' could not be launched on 'iPhone 5 iOS 9.3'. Error: error HE0042: Could not launch the app 'com.company.TipCalcIOS' on the device 'iOS 9.3 (13E233) - iPhone 5': The operation couldn’t be completed. (Mach error -308 - (ipc/mig) server died)

iOS build SDK options version 10.3 is the only available in the dropdown list

Looking through the Xamarin "15.1" user-submitted bugs list as mentioned in the first post in the thread, I see the following bug which appears to match that symptom:

• Bug 54802 - iOS Deployment Target Setting missing available SDKs

The workaround mentioned there is to type the desired deployment target by hand into the text field, save the change, and ignore the resulting error alert.

• RyanSappRyanSapp Ryan Sapp USMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski , I have created 55282 in BugZilla. I am at a work stoppage in Xamarin Studio at this point. I am getting "Value cannot be null" in all of my Xaml files when trying to compile my Android Project (using Xamarin.Forms). Please assist asap

• RyanSappRyanSapp Ryan Sapp USMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski, I get a "Value cannot be null, in the following. However, if I change the DataTrigger empty tag to an EventTrigger, it works fine. I am on Xamarin.Forms 2.1 (for a few reason)
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" x:Class="XXX.Views.XXXView"> <ContentPage.Triggers> <DataTrigger></DataTrigger> </ContentPage.Triggers> <ContentPage.Triggers> </ContentPage.Triggers> <ContentPage.Content> <AbsoluteLayout> <Label Text="XXX Page" Style="{StaticResource HeaderLarge}" /> </AbsoluteLayout> </ContentPage.Content> </ContentPage>

• ulomarammaulomaramma uloma okenyi NGMember

yes

edited April 19

I have created 55282 in BugZilla

Thanks for the report! That is the best place to continue to track the issue and provide additional details if it is related to a change in behavior after updating to these new "15.1 Feature Release" versions.

• JonathanDerroughJonathanDerrough Jonathan Derrough USMember ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having the same issue as @JayBowman, trying to debug my project with different versions of the iOS simulator ends with:

error HE0042: Could not launch the app

Impacted simulator versions are:

• iPhone 4S 9.3
    • iPhone 5 9.3 & 10.3
  • JonathanDerroughJonathanDerrough Jonathan Derrough USMember ✭✭

Found it! I was missing "i386" as a build architecture. All fine now.

This discussion has been closed.