BUG: Instruments crashing when using Debug.Writeline

JoseARamirezJoseARamirez USMember ✭✭

I had previously written before about a problem with instruments and my gl code. Since it was too vague a question/issue, I decided to try and hunt down the problem. I found that the call below was crashing the iOS app only when running instruments. This was NOT the case before the latest IOS and OS X update. Removing the line makes everything work again.

I did not test to see if the problem is the debug.writeline on it's own or if it's the GL call within the debug that causes the issue.

Debug.WriteLine(GL.GetProgramInfoLog(PixelShaderUtil.Program).ToString());

Tagged:

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@JoseARamirez said:
    I did not test to see if the problem is the debug.writeline on it's own or if it's the GL call within the debug that causes the issue.

Debug.WriteLine(GL.GetProgramInfoLog(PixelShaderUtil.Program).ToString());

That might be a good place to start investigating. Just remove the GL call and replace it with some straight text. If it stiil crashing than the issue is with Debug.WriteLine. If not, it is the GL call.

• JoseARamirezJoseARamirez USMember ✭✭

Here is what I've got:
    Making a call do Debug.Writeline (in the same place ) with a simple strings works fine with instruments.
    Putting GL.GetProgramInfoLog(PixelShaderUtil.Program) in a Console.Writeline ALSO works fine with instruments.
    Putting them together, and instrument quits the IOS app.

Could it be because the GL call is returning nothing at the moment? It should be an empty string when this happens and behave as such.

I'm moving on, because it's quite easy to avoid (now that I found it) , but maybe someone else can benefit.