Xamarin slow build

I installed Visual Studio on Windows 10 laptop. I debug to my Mac but it is so slow!!! Anybody else have same troubles?

Answers

• SebastianKruseSebastianKruse USMember ✭✭✭

No. There could be many resons for a delay.

• Network configuration / speed (how long does it take to transfer a file between the two systems)?
    • Did you use the latest stable build off Xamarin on your Mac?
    • Did you use the latest updates of Visual Studio 2017 on your Windows system?
    • What exactly is slow? The startup? The entire app? What exactly? -> Hardware of the Mac system?
  • Thanks for getting back to me. I have installed visual studio 2017 on my laptop. I use the Xamarin Mac Agent to find my mac. Finds my mac but very slow to find it using the wireless network. Is there a way to hard wire the Mac Agent from laptop to IMac?

• CaioshinCaioshin ITMember ✭✭

Same problem for me, but I noticed that the problem has started when I modified some info of info.plist, adding artwork images and icons.
    Starting from that moment, build process takes 4-5 minutes instead of 30-40 seconds as before.

How can I debug the problem to discover what's wrong??

• UnaigoUnaigo USMember

Same here, the last update of Xamarin makes the build very slow, imposible to work with Xamarin Droid now... I change one line of my code and I have to wait 5 min to see the results.. I work with Mac , and all my team have the same problem with differents macs....

Also now you can't install the app on iOS in real device, without copying in terminal the path of the output....

Both bugs are added in the last update of Xamarin(6.3)

Do you find any way to fix these problems ? Thanks!

• I have decided to forgo Xamarin it is just too frustrating

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChristineWingfield I use Xamarin Studio directly on a mac, performance is perfectly fine for me. Since you need a mac for iOS development, why not just use the mac directly?
    Deploying to an actual device via Xamarin Studio again, works perfectly. @Unaigo my guess would be a problem with your installation or XCode itself.